Monday, November 21, 2016

Jack’s Winning Words 11/21/16
“Charity sees the need, not the cause.”  (German Proverb)  I was walking with my grandson after a Tigers’ baseball game when he placed some money in a cup held by a man standing there as the crowd passed by.  There was no conversation, other than a “Thank you!”  The gulf between the haves and have-nots grows wider.  There are no easy answers for the problem.  But, compassion for the poor, whatever the reason for poorness, is a value worth teaching.    ;-)  Jack  

FROM RI IN BOSTON:  Now abideth faith that "the problem" will be resolved, and hope that relief will come soon for the "have nots", also charity to provide assistance until we can all share the bounty.  For the moment the most resourceful of these is charity.====JACK:  Charity is a word that is often misunderstood.  Perhaps these synonyms get at the real meaning...love (Christian-type), compassion, tender ness, kindness, sympathy (understanding).  Charity is more than just giving alms to the poor.====RI:  Thanks for the clarification.  I suppose I should have ended with "charitable giving"

FROM FROM JLF ALBION KD:  I like this one. I think people do tend to judge whether it's a worthy reason.====JACK:  I recently saw a right-wing quote referring to people who use food stamps as "moochers."  Jesus said that in heaven, the situation is going to be reversed, and those "haves" will learn what it is to mooch.

FROM TARMART REV:  ..true for any age!!====JACK:  It comes down to "seeing" Jesus disguised as a poor person.  I'm reminded of this poem by Christina Rosetti...
"What can I give Him,  Poor as I am?  If I were a shepherd  I would bring a lamb,
If I were a wise man  I would do my part.  Yet what can I give Him?  Give my heart."

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  There are certainly opportunities every day, and yes, there seems to be much more need than in years past. Our monthly meal for the homeless used to feed 50-60, rarely any children; now it is always over 100, with families and small children. in the group.  Several churches went together to have a nice meal every Tuesday evening. Our church does the last Tuesday.  Many and varied are the stories as to cause!  Your Friday quote from Professor Randy Pausch  was a reminder of a remarkable man! I play the DVD of his last lecture at least once a year, and have used it with several church groups!  What a loss he is to the world!====JACK:  Jesus recognized the fact that there will never be an end to the need for charity..."The poor will always be among you."  You can'y meet all of the needs, but you can meet some of the needs.

FROM JE IN MICHIGAN:  Happy Thanksgiving Jack. The gap does continue to widen; although the percentage of Free and Reduced Lunch recipients in our District declined from 25 percent to 20 percent this school year. It’s still more than it should be – there shouldn’t be any children who cannot afford a school lunch. Compassion for the poor is something I really worry about with the president-elect and the team he is selecting. May God give us compassion and understanding for those less fortunate. May he also give us grace  and gratitude for all of our blessings.====JACK:  If there is a lack of compassion on the part of elected officials, it remains the duty of the Church to lead the way in being compassionate.  I'm not going to let others deter me from what Jesus calls me to be.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  I wrote a long message in answer to your readers about some of their answers but I decided sometimes it's better to smile and keep my mouth shut.  I just wanted to say we are conservative and also care deeply and serve faithfully the poor and lonely with more than just words:====JACK:  A wise choice.  Compassion is a virtue.






 


No comments: