Friday, November 11, 2016

Jack’s Winning Words 11/11/16
“No person was ever honored for what he received.  Honor has been the reward for what he gave.”  (Calvin Coolidge)  There are about 22 million veterans (10% female) of the armed forces in our country.  I’m counting in my mind the number of vets that I know.  Wow!  Lots! For them and all veterans, I’m flying the flag today…and making this statement:  I’m proud to be an American…to know I’m free…and I won’t forget those who gave that right to me.”    ;-)  Jack

FROM HONEST JOHN:  I was proud to be an American when I was a little boy.   I no longer am....and that is not just beacause of the last Presidential election.   But I am a citizen here and will do whatever I can to make things better.====JACK:  In a sense, our country is like the people who are the citizens.  I choose to focus in on the good things, past and present.  If someone wants to seek out the bad in you and me, they will be able to find it.  On this Veterans Day, I want to recognize the many who have risked their lives to protect the freedom I enjoy.====JOHN:  You have to be really blind not to see the bad in this country.    We need to see it and work to eradicate it.   I see some good, too.   I appreciate it.    But, we can never be satisfied with being "fairly good."     That usually leads to a downhill run.   Learned that at home and from Holcomb.====JACK:  Of course I see the bad, but I simply choose to focus on the good...be it our country or individuals such as you and me.  "There is so much good in the worst of us,  And so much bad in the best of us,  That it hardly behooves any of us  To talk about the rest of us."

FROM MARYESS:  Thanks for the reminder about the flag….====JACK:  A poem that I like...
Hats Off! by Henry Holcomb Bennett
Along the street there comes
A blare of bugles, a ruffle of drums,
A flash of color beneath the sky:
Hats off!
The colors before us fly....
But more than the flag is passing by....
Days of plenty and years of peace;
March of a strong land's swift increase;
Equal justice, right, and law,
Stately honor and reverend awe;
Sign of a nation, great and strong
To ward her people from foreign wrong:
Pride and glory and honor,-all
Live in the colors to stand or fall.
Hats off!
Along the street there comes
A blare of bugles, a ruffle of drums;
And loyal hearts are beating high:
Hats off!
THE FLAG IS PASSING BY!

FROM RS IN TEXAS:  Thanks, Jack -  It was an honor to serve.====JACK:  I remember how proud your parents were when you achieved the rank of Warrant Officer (I think) and were assigned to fly a helicopter.  Do you think that you could still fly one today?====RS:  I've often wondered if I could get it off the ground, fly it around a bit and get it down without killing myself or anyone else.  I actually know someone in the Dallas area that has one and flies - we've talked about going up together.  We'll see.  Hard to believe it's been 45 years since my service in the Army ended.

FROM ME IN NEWPORT BEACH:  Nice.  Our flags are out as well and we share your sentiments. ====JACK:  The flag is flying in a cool fall breeze.  I could use some of your weather.  Your father served in the military, didn't he?====ME:  81 AND SUNNY HERE.  Father was in Army Air Corps.  I was in Army Jag Corps during Viet Nam era.====JACK:  Where was the legal work done, DC?

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  A big thank you to all of the vets!====JACK: Do you still fly your flag day and night, every day?

FROM F.I. TOM:  Thanks Jack for the honorable thoughts on this Veteran's Day.====JACK:   I know that your dad was in the military as a B-25 pilot.  I still think that you should take a ride in the B-25 that's at the Yankee Air Museum at Willow Run.  Where did you learn to fly?  In the service?
====TOM:  I learned to fly out at Salem Airport near South Lyon.  The airport is now closed.  Also took training at Oakland/Pontiac Airport.  I wanted to fly in the Air Force but they were only taking 20/20 vision uncorrected at the time.  I did serve at DaNang Air Base in a Forward Air Control Squadron.  You grew up in a hurry in the military!

FROM CHESTER THE GOOD:  I fly the flag every day and thank God for those who are serving and have served.  Watched the moment at Arlington this morning and Taps brought tears to my eyes as usual. (Today is my anniversary of separation for the Marine Corps).====JACK:  Are you still able to fit into that uniform?  As a child I vaguely remember seeing a Civil War veteran in a parade.  He must have been about the same age as you are now.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  Bill never forgot his classmates, and navy buddies who didn't make it back home alive.   He was always very grateful to have survived and to marry and have children, grandchildren and professional life. Denied for 1,000's who fought in WW2, and wars since! Thank You Veterans!!====JACK:  Those of us who lived through the Great Depression and WW 2 have memories that cause us to think and act as we do...in ways some others can't understand.


No comments: