Friday, November 11, 2016

Jack’s Winning Words 11/11/16
“No person was ever honored for what he received.  Honor has been the reward for what he gave.”  (Calvin Coolidge)  There are about 22 million veterans (10% female) of the armed forces in our country.  I’m counting in my mind the number of vets that I know.  Wow!  Lots! For them and all veterans, I’m flying the flag today…and making this statement:  I’m proud to be an American…to know I’m free…and I won’t forget those who gave that right to me.”    ;-)  Jack

FROM HONEST JOHN:  I was proud to be an American when I was a little boy.   I no longer am....and that is not just beacause of the last Presidential election.   But I am a citizen here and will do whatever I can to make things better.====JACK:  In a sense, our country is like the people who are the citizens.  I choose to focus in on the good things, past and present.  If someone wants to seek out the bad in you and me, they will be able to find it.  On this Veterans Day, I want to recognize the many who have risked their lives to protect the freedom I enjoy.

FROM MARYESS:  Thanks for the reminder about the flag….====JACK:  A poem that I like...
Hats Off! by Henry Holcomb Bennett
Along the street there comes
A blare of bugles, a ruffle of drums,
A flash of color beneath the sky:
Hats off!
The colors before us fly....
But more than the flag is passing by....
Days of plenty and years of peace;
March of a strong land's swift increase;
Equal justice, right, and law,
Stately honor and reverend awe;
Sign of a nation, great and strong
To ward her people from foreign wrong:
Pride and glory and honor,-all
Live in the colors to stand or fall.
Hats off!
Along the street there comes
A blare of bugles, a ruffle of drums;
And loyal hearts are beating high:
Hats off!
THE FLAG IS PASSING BY!

FROM RS IN TEXAS:  Thanks, Jack -  It was an honor to serve.====JACK:  I remember how proud your parents were when you achieved the rank of Warrant Officer (I think) and were assigned to fly a helicopter.  Do you think that you could still fly one today?

FROM THE FLIGHT INSTRUCTOR:  Thanks Jack for the honorable thoughts on this Veteran's Day.====JACK:  I know that your dad was in the military as a B-25 pilot.  I still think that you should take a ride in the B-25 that's at the Yankee Air Museum at Willow Run.  Where did you learn to fly?  In the service?


No comments: