Tuesday, August 09, 2016

Jack’s Winning Words 8/9/16
“Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not be bent out of shape.”  (Unvirtuous Abbey)  Son  David introduced me to Unvirtuous Abbey, a group of tweeting monks who think that there’s too much formal religious stuff on Twitter.  It could use some snarkiness.  So, U.A. came into being.  Can’t we also bring prayers to Jesus about the things that bug us?  Years ago I came across a book of such (unusual) prayers… “Are You Running With Me, Jesus?”    ;-)  Jack

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  Unvirtuous Abbey sounds like a great twitter!  Both Hal and Jan, Bill and I, loved that book, Are...Jesus!  I imagine It got passed on to the seminary students, who claimed books in Bill's library when he retired.  Leslie Brandt's paraphrasing of the Psalms, and Gospels are also great in that genre, and The Cotton Patch version of the Gospels, and Paul's letters by Clarence Jordan, are still a delightful read; Earthy and humorous!  So many good books, so little time, as the saying goes!  I feel all sincere prayers, even about those things which bug us are acceptable in His sight!!  Stay flexible, Jack, it's an endearing quality!!====JACK:  Just because something (a book, a person, etc) is old, does not mean that it's out of date.

FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  that little book was rather ground breaking when i was in college.   Malcolm Boyd was its author as i recall.====JACK:  That book helped shape the way I look at prayer...conversation with God.  "Just a little talk with Jesus"....as the song goes.

 FROM TARMART REV:  Christ certainly enjoys a little humor anyway, He brought me into life's existence!!====JACK:  I wonder if Jesus laughed on the day you were born?

FROM PEPPERMINT MARY:  Amen!  And of late my prayers have often been filled with requests for patience and understanding♡====JACK:  Have you ever taught the children this little song?
Whisper a prayer in the morning,  Whisper a prayer at noon;
Whisper a prayer in the ev’ning,  To keep your heart in tune.

God answers prayer in the morning,  God answers prayer at noon;
God answers prayer in the ev’ning,  To keep your heart in tune.

Jesus may come in the morning,  Jesus may come at noon;
Jesus may come in the ev’ning,  So keep your heart in tune.

FROM RS IN TEXAS:  Something tells me that however we try to communicate with God that He will get it.  The key for me is remembering to take everything to Him and put it in His hands.====JACK:  A very astute observation!

FROM JB AT LSTC:  I always pray about the things that bug me! Help me, Jesus!====JACK:  Have you ever been to Bughouse Square in Chicago?  Speakers there are often talking about things that bug them.  They're God's children, too.

No comments: