Friday, August 26, 2016

Jack’s Winning Words 8/26/16
“I’m a little pencil in the hand of God who’s sending a love letter to the world.”  (Mother Teresa)  I read a comment this week which said that Mother Teresa wasn’t perfect (even though called a saint).  Hey!  Hasn’t it been said that no one’s perfect?  I like what she said about being a little pencil in God’s hand.”  Someone wrote, “We’re writing each day a letter to men.  Take care that your writing be true; for the only Gospel some men read is the Gospel according to you.”    ;-)  Jack

FROM RJP IN NAPLES:  " You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be led." Stan Laurel" Certainly not a saint, but a brilliant artist. I think Mother Teresa had a sense of humor. BTW Teresa was my mother's middle name and although a terrific lady no saint.====JACK:  Saint?  It depends on the definition you use.  In New Testament language, a "saint" is a follower of the teachings of Jesus.

FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  author Sam Harris (very anti-religious) also says that as long as Mother Teresa opposed any form of birth control, contraception, family planning,  or abortion (in India, no less),  she really was not a friend of the poor.  btw, my son Mat and his family are currently spending two weeks in India.====JACK:  In a college speech class we were asked to give a talk about a particular holiday.  I chose Washington's Birthday and entertained the class by telling all of the bad things I could dig up about George.  The class thought it was good, but the prof lectured me on the appropriateness of what I said.  "Anyone can find the flaws in a individual if you look for them.  It is more helpful and appropriate to lift up the good things about people."====SP:  i do agree for the most part.  accentuate the positive and downplay the negatives.  i just think it odd and likely not good policy to oppose safe methods of birth control in a nation as over populated at India.  but yes,  she obviously did some marvelous work among some of the poorest and sickest people on the planet.====JACK:  At least she was consistent in following her Church's teachings.  ====SP: i will give her that much... 

FROM AP IN MICHIGAN:  I'm wondering why you italicized the word 'men' in your blog today . . . was it get my attention?====JACK:  Well, it did, didn't it?  I wanted to call attention to the fact that I'm aware "gender words."  The poem I was referring to was written during a time when it was simply accepted that use of "men" was understood to mean "people."

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Of course she wasn't perfect!  It's always a mystery to me why people have to point out the obvious.  She at least talked the talk and walked the walk.  I like the imagine of being a pencil for God!====JACK:  During "the walk," we all stumble once in a while.

FROM TARMART REV:  Perfect Saints!? . . . on their own, I have not found one outside of Christ, but with God's help we read of them throughout the Bible and even having a few right next door!! ====JACK:  We often equate the word "saint" with someone who does nothing wrong, when, in fact, the word simply describes someone who seeks to follow the teachings of Jesus.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  I visited her ministry house to unwanted babies in Calcutta, (after her death); so MANY  babies, and 3 nuns circulating among head-to-foot cribs, who were trying to hold each baby for a few minutes between feedings, and care for them! It is astonishing what she organized. Imagine having the compassion to pick up dirty, smelly, dying people off of the streets and holding them in your arms to comfort them while dying. She was not afraid to ask anyone for anything for the poor, once she became well known; very bold in that way, and not often refused, either. But a saint, a follower of Christ, YES, she definitely was!!  One of her sayings on the wall of ministry house was :"Every time you smile at someone, it is an act  of Love; A gift to that person. A Beautiful thing."  Can't we all do at least that?!====JACK:  I'm sure you've sung...I Sing a Song of the Saints of God.  I like the last stanza.
They lived not only in ages past;  there are hundreds of thousands still.
The world is bright with the joyous saints   who love to do Jesus' will.
You can meet them in school, on the street, in the store,
in church, by the sea, in the house next door;
They are saints of God, whether rich or poor,  and I mean to be one too.
====OAKS:  OH YES..I love that song! My Jr. Choir sang it on several occasions, some taking verses as solos. It's a goody!

FROM AW IN ILLINOIS:  Actually, a dull broken little pencil.  God keeps trying to sharpen me...but  He/She  isn't having  much luck.====JACK:  Nobody's calling you, dull.


No comments: