Monday, August 22, 2016

Jack’s Winning Words 8/22/16
“Progress, not perfection, is what we should be asking of ourselves.”  (Julia Cameron)  This saying is from, The Artist’s Way, a book of 365 daily thoughts.   Comedian Ben Rosenfeld says that reading it gives him momentum for the day.  I think that most of us could use that!  I don’t usually like to use two quotes from the same source on a day, but I can’t seem to resist this one.  “Pray to catch the bus, then run as fast as you can.”  That and the 1st are mind joggers.    ;-)  Jack

FROM CS IN MICHIGAN:  I read that years ago and I'm sure it's in my library somewhere. ====JACK:  The "artist with in me" caused me to order the book.  I also ordered "Yuge,"  Gary Trudeau's cartoon book about you know who.

FROM RI IN BOSTON:  The advice “Pray to catch the bus, then run as fast as you can.”  brings to mind similar advice that President Reagan is reported to have said..."Trust, but verify."====JACK: Another one is...Measure twice; cut once.

FROM TARMART REV:  Indeed, but timely, ending with a little humor!!====JACK:  In the days of yore, there was a comedian named, Ed Wynn.  He was called, "The Perfect Fool."  1 Corinthians 4:10 says that we are to be "fools for Christ."  What do you suppose that means?

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  AHA! Yes, putting "feet" on our prayers! I like Charles Dicken's advice when he said, "Reflect on your present blessings, of which every man has plenty; not on your past misfortunes, of which all men have some,"  We are all a "work in progress" until the day we die! Thanks for these  WW today!====JACK:  Have you ever heard of the Rule of St Benedict, "ora et labora?"  or "all work and no pray, makes Jack a dull boy?"====OAKS:  Bridge and golf, family games and  family swims, movies, plays, musicals,pleasure reading,.. ah yes, I guess I'm not TOO dull! :-)====JACK:  Did you get it?  All work and no PRAY!====OAKS:  NO, I obviously "read" the familiar quote...so "ora et labora" is "work and pray "!  Well, I do my share of both...maybe I can pray on the golf course tomorrow!  I'm usually very thankful to have the opportunity to get out for nine holes!!

FROM SBP IN FLORIDA:  "Progress, not perfection,"... Now that suits me just fine, since I have trouble enough with "progress" in the futile attempt at perfection. The "Pray to catch the bus...reminds me of the school days when I was taking care of my grandsons.====JACK:  No school buses that I can remember in our day.  We had to "hoof it."  Do you remember that expression?  ====SBP:  You bet! Back and forth to JD, up and down 17th Street! Certainly less necessity for going to the gym, in those days!====JACK:  ...or paying for water in a bottle.

2 comments:

SJP said...


"Progress, not perfection,"... Now that suits me just fine, since I have trouble enough with "progress" in the futile attempt at perfection. The "Pray to catch the bus...reminds me of the school days when I was taking care of my grandsons.

SBP said...

You bet! Back and forth to JD, up and down 17th Street! Certainly less necessity for going to the gym, in those days!