Tuesday, March 08, 2016

Jack’s Winning Words 3/8/16
“What we’ve got here is failure to communicate.”  (Cool Hand Luke)  Luke’s quote has been called one of the great movie lines of all time.  If you’ve seen the film, you know how it fits.  I’ve read that communication skills are ranked #1 among “must have” skills for job candidates and for those seeking promotions.  Failure to communicate probably ranks #1 among reasons for interpersonal problems in the home.  Let’s work at turning failure into success.    ;-)  Jack

FROM MK:  Click on Google today & watch the International Woman's Day video. Inspiring! Have a wonderful day😊====JACK:  I went to the site and came up with this quote: "May all women be free to dream, express, create. and live their deepest heart's desires."  (Amethyst Wyldfyre)  Just for fun, I Googled International Men's Day.  Surprisingly, there is one, Nov 16, started by some men who were jealous that "women" had a day, and they didn't.

FROM TARMART REV:  Misunderstandings and miscommunication are the two truly relationship destroyers of all times. 0;-/====JACK:  In some serious conversations, some will repeat what was said, to make sure that they had heard correctly.  Ears and the mind are known to "trick" us.

FROM RI IN BOSTON:  That's a good movie, and I think it indicates communicating isn't always verbal.  Often a person expresses oneself by stubborn action, even if it leads to their demise.  We're seeing more and more of such tragic results these days.  But I understand your point about proper "communication skills" to carry on in a job.  Sometimes communication  can be excessive.  There were occasions during my professional career when I attempted to explain something, and was interrupted as the other person communicated, "Get to the point!"====JACK:  It happens with some srmons, too....Get to the point!  I've found that communication starts before the words are spoken.  The word is, "mien."

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  Anyone who has seen the movie, won't forget that line! After nourishment, shelter and companionship, communication must be what we need most in the world! Reminds me of Robert McCloskey's humorous take on this: "I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure your realize that what you heard, is not what I meant".  So it goes sometimes!!====JACK:  Your response reminds me of the Dean Martin song...only changing the lyrics to apply to misunderstandings.  "Your lips tell me Yes!  Yes!, but there's no, no right in your eyes."  Please tell me, again, what you said.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  That movie really made an impact on me!  I swore never to go to prison and so far so good.  We quoted that line all of the time and once in awhile we still do!====JACK:  I have a nephew who has taught building skills to prisoners so that when they are released they have a chance to enter the job market. ====JUDY:  He is a hero!  In the real sense of the word.

No comments: