Monday, March 28, 2016

Jack’s Winning Words 3/28/16
“No matter how old you are, there’s always something good to look forward to.”  (Lynn Johnston)  Birthdays are a big thing with our family.  We look forward to cards, phone calls and that special cake.  Mine is angel food with strawberries and whipped cream.  What is it that you look forward to?  How about a time when all people work toward a common goal…a time when the lion and lamb lie down together in peace?  It is possible…in God’s mind!      ;-)  Jack

FROM TARMART REV:  I said that often, Jack, when our church had the privilege of worshiping in Temple Kol Ami those many years in West Bloomfield, "the lion and lamb lied down together in peace!" An experience that will forever be embedded in my heart and on mind.====JACK:  As you have retold that story, what has been the response...positive and negative?====REV:  Many are amazed at the uniqueness of the experience . . . but none to the depth of that privilege as you and I have. These past 25+ years has found hardly any Jewish individuals, families or synagogues to help them relate to such an experience.====JACK:  If there are any Jewish people in your community, it might be interesting to seek them out and tell them of your experience...and hear their reaction.  ====REV:  Truthfully, I do not know of any or if we have any at all...years ago, one family owned a steel company but sold and have now passed on. I'll keep my eyes open and let you know, as I would most likely most and naturally bring up our experience.

FROM ME IN ISRAEL:  Just arrived in Israel.  I am looking forward to the next 16 days in particular.====JACK:  Do you have an agenda.  My grandson has visited many places (30 countries) in the world.  The most interesting and memorable?  Jerusalem!  I was both surprised and intrigued by his answer.

FROM HAWKEYE GEORGE:  Sometimes, like today, I have too much free time. And then I'll get swamped with too much to do. It's more frequent the older I get.====JACK:  I'd be interested to know if the change of venue for your Bible Study group makes a difference...perhaps reaching out to employees or customers.

FROM J & D:  Looking forward to more celebrations: Annuciation of our Lord today and then Holy Tuesday tomorrow. That's great to extend Easter to more red letter days.  We remember using the old Augustana hymnal. The pericope for Easter Tuesday - I Epistle: Acts 10:34-43. The Lutheran Study Bible commentary on Acts 10:39 is well-written: "Adam and Eve's reach for Eden's tree was cured by Christ's willing grasp of the cross."  Happy Easter Season!====JACK:  If you really want to extend Easter you can celebrate it again with our Orthodox friends on May 1.

FROM IKE AT THE MIC:  It is possible if we learn how to tame the lion or teach him/her to become a vegetarian.====JACK:  All cats, including lions, are obligate carnivores.  Whether it's a 5 lb tabby or a 400 lb lion, they all depend on meat for survival.  Aside from the fact that cats lack the necessary enzyme to break down plant-based matter, a vegetarian diet will not provide enough of some vitamins, and none at all of several nutrients, necessary for them to grow big and strong.

FROM MY LAWYER:  From your lips to God's ears!!!====JACK:  God knows your needs and mine, even before our lips speak them.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  I fixed strawberries with my mother's shortcake biscuits for Easter dessert yesterday! A family favorite.  My, wouldn't world peace be such a blessing ?!  It IS possible, but does not seem probable anytime soon !  :-(  But  as Ellen Glasgow said; "No life is so hard that you can't make it better by the way you take it". There is always something positive, some small blessing to savor for the day!  Even the "blessing" of getting older, which many do not live to experience!  :-) The celebration of Easter leaves a special glow for today!====JACK:  Do you remember Al Capp's Joe Btfsplic who always walked around with a dark cloud over his head?  Some people are like that. ====OAKS:  I would never be able to spell, much less pronounce Joe's last name?! Does it have any meaning? But I do remember Eyore, friend of Winnie-the-Pooh who had similar outlooks....I wonder why some people are so negative and pessimistic...human nature or environment?! Oh well!

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Everyday I set a goal for myself....sometimes they are fun and sometimes they are just something like getting out of bed.  With arthritis, sometimes that's a big goal.  But I always have something to look forward too and that's so important.  I look forward to being with family and we are always planning some trip which brings me joy.====JACK:  God, in his wisdom and love, gave us Easter, the ultimate "hope for a brighter future day."

No comments: