Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Jack’s Winning Words 3/16/16
“So, do not fear, for I am with you.  I will strengthen you and help you.”  (God – Isaiah 41:10)  I recently saw a list of the ten top human fears.  Mine was #9.  I’ve been reading and hearing a lot these days about a fear of what the future holds for our country.  BTW, Fear of the Unknown was listed #9.  We’re all scared of the “What ifs…”  Isaiah wrote about that in biblical days, encouraging the people to remember:  “God is with you and will help you.”    ;-)  Jack

FROM TARMART REV:  I'm proclaiming this post as my inspiration for the day...texting you from my room in the lodge across from St Cloud Hospital this morning...Checking in at 6a to prepare for an angiogram at 8a...If needed, a stent will be placed up close to my heart...Found myself of late being short of breath...Had this same procedure done 4 years ago with my first stent placed n that area...Not fearing, resting in the Hands of God this morning...Thanks for your timely message of inspiration in this early morning before registration.====JACK:  Our Father who art in heaven... Thy will be done on earth, as it is in heaven... For thine is the power... Amen

FROM LK IN OHIO:  Better to look to GOD than to political leaders.====JACK:  Political leaders are are not always dependable...but God is the same yesterday, today and forever.  You can count on him!FROM LK IN OHIO:  There was a time when politicians at least would sincerely invoke God's blessing and guidance.====JACK:  "I'd rather see a sermon than hear one any day."  Or, as the Bible puts it, "By their works you shall know them."

FROM HONEST JOHN:  Fear of playing Coolidge in football was high on my list in Jr High.   They were huge and powerful.     The fear proved legitimate as we got clobbered.====JACK:  Did you wear helmets back in those days?

FROM JT IN WB:  Good morning, Jack.  I think #9 is mine, also.  I try to live in this day and will work on tomorrow when it comes.  Trusting that God has a plan for me helps.====JACK:  When we moved to Michigan, we opened an account with the Detroit Bank and Trust.  A bank with trust in its name seemed like a good one for us.  Trust is a name that exudes confidence.

FROM MICHIZONA RAY:  I keep reminding myself that there IS a plan...despite what would otherwise be my own. The bible starts with the beginning of Time, and ends with the end of Time. Somewhere in-between we serve and bear fruit. All things will be and cease to be at their appointed hour. In the big picture, few will find the finals between the Michigan State Spartans and the Arizona Wildcats of major significance. When we forget, we'll wring our hands if Trump or Hillary are President, or our favorite team can't make a free throw. Truly, there is that which is significant, and there is that which more often grabs my attention.====JACK:  Last week I received to e-mails, one showing some exotic flowers, and the other, pictures of unique birds.  If God can design things like that, it's not too difficult to believe that he has a plan for you and me.

FROM HY YO SILVER:  That is the concluding prayer of Shabbat services.===JACK:  The Bible is a gold mine...a place to discover many golden words and thoughts.

FROM BB IN ILLINOIS: Curious to see the top ten…====JACK:  Of course, there are many lists, just as there are many fears.  This is one made up by Caty Medrano.  #i Fear of failure, followed by death, rejection, ridicule, loneliness, misery, disappointment, pain #9 the unknown, and losing your freedom.  A list of things that scare us might be different.

FROM DB IN MICHIGAN:  Thank you, Jack. So far, I like this one the best -- with the bible passage. We all need encouragement, especially words that are indisputable!====JACK:  Go to the blog and read the first of today's responses.  For TARMART REV, it was the best, too.

FROM AA PILOT:  So thankful he is there for me.====JACK:   There was a book/movie, "God is my co-pilot."  Someone wrote:  "If God is your co-pilot, you two should change seats."

FROM RJP IN NAPLES:  FEAR False expectations appearing real. Quoted by many many folks. ====JACK:   Some people have the fear of not living up to expectations.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  I think there will always be some anxiety about "unknowns", one being the transition through death. Also as we age, the fear of becoming incapacitated and helpless, even tho we know God has promised to be with us every step of the way!  I think for "peace of mind", Charles Dickens was on to something when he said, "Reflect upon your present blessings, of which every man has plenty, not on your past misfortunes, of which all men have some".  When I think of the lives of the millions of refugees in other parts of the world today, my fears seem trivial indeed! ====JACK:  A friend of mine was involved with NASA program of putting men on the moon and retrieving them.  There were so many unknowns in the project, but what bothered them most were the UNK UNKs.====OAKS:  DR. SEUSS DID A LOT OF "PREACHING" IN HIS STORIES; IN A HUMOROUS WAY! WE LOVED READING HIS BOOKS, AND LIKE A LOT OF OTHER PREACHERS, I'M SURE, BILL USED "THE SNEETCHES" AND "YERTLE THE TURTLE",'THE PALE GREEN PANTS (WITH NOBODY INSIDE THEM)" ETC. IN HIS MESSAGES ON OCCASION.  MY  KIDS AND G.KIDS ALL RECYCLE, AND MADE SURE I JOINED THE REST IN DOING THAT!  "WHOEVER PLANTS A TREE, WINKS AT IMMORTALITY":From a poem by Felix Dennis. Enuff said.====JACK:  Seuss was a Lutheran.  He sold his first cartoon to the Saturday Evening Post for $25.  I wonder what it would bring today?

FROM CHESTER THE GOOD:  Are dog bites still number one? FDR: The only thing we have to fear is fear itself.====JACK:  There's a difference between the things that scare you (like dog bites) and things that which you fear (like being in dangerous situations).  FDR was trying to reassure people during the difficult days of WW 2.

FROM ST PAUL IN MESA:  I have always liked this prayer:  Dear Lord,  help me to remember that NOTHING is going to happen to me today that You and I can't handle together.  Amen!====JACK:  Why do we so often forget that we are not alone in this world?

FROM ORANGE COUNTY:  Thanks for this, really great****====JACK:  "God is great, God is good."

1 comment:

Ray Gage said...

I keep reminding myself that there IS a plan...despite what would otherwise be my own. The bible starts with the beginning of Time, and ends with the end of Time. Somewhere in-between we serve and bear fruit. All things will be and cease to be at their appointed hour. In the big picture, few will find the finals between the Michigan State Spartans and the Arizona Wildcats of major significance. When we forget, we'll wring our hands if Trump or Hillary are President, or our favorite team can't make a free throw. Truly, there is that which is significant, and there is that which more often grabs my attention,