Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Jack’s Winning Words 3/15/16
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing’s going to get better.  It’s not.”  (Dr Seuss)  Today’s environmental movement has been traced to Rachel Carson and her book, “Silent Spring,” which documents the negative effects of certain pesticides on birds.  Seuss’s “Lorax” says, “I’m going to speak for the trees.”  I know of someone who speaks for “caged animals.”  This world is a better place because of those who care and speak up.    ;-)  Jack

FROM TARMART REV:  We have been asked to be good stewards . . . I would think that would include the “fish of the sea, birds of the air, the cattle and over all the earth”, including the trees!! ====JACK:  From "Paint Your Wagon' there's this song.  I talk to the trees  But they don't listen to me  I talk to the stars  But they never hear me  The breeze hasn't time  To stop and hear what I say
I talk to them all in vain

FROM DR J:  Love Seuss and The Lorax… Our favorite line “we hear things are just as bad in Lake Erie!”====JACK:  Talk about the water in Flint...I've read that you're not supposed to drink the water in Lake Erie.  Is that true?

FROM RI IN BOSTON:  Rachel Carson was far ahead of everyone back in 1962, when she spoke out about the danger of pesticide applications to our natural environment.  It's apparent again today, as the ominous depletion of bee population has been traced to a new pesticide.  European governments have now banned the use of that pesticide, but the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency has dallied with it, claiming nothing has been proven, rather than prudently putting a hold on it for safety, until something can be proven.  It's time for all of us to care enough that we speak out about such mismanagement of our natural environment.====JACK:  I'm beginning to hear the early morning chirping of birds.  Thank you, Rachel!  Thanks for the info on the bee problem.  Our food chain depends on the bees.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:    How true.  Watching TV last night, I saw the mayor of Flint say no one was helping but the people of Flint.  I personally know many many people and companies outside of Flint who have donated tons of bottled water directly to Flint. I wonder if she knows!?!
   I love Dr. Seuss.  He had the pulse of humanity in his heart.     We read "Silent Spring".   If you look at photos of Detroit then and now, it's amazing.  Detroit was filthy and smoggy.  We have come a long way.  Now if we could get the foreign countries on board, we would have a very clean world.  There's always more to do.====JACK:  I wonder when privies were banned in Detroit?  Do you know?

FROM ANNE OF WATERFORD:  I have read negative statements about Carson's book.====JACK:  Even Jesus got negative comments.  "He eats with prostitutes and tax collectors."


   

No comments: