Thursday, February 04, 2016

Jack’s Winning Words 2/4/16
“We all have two lives.  The second one begins when we realize that we only have one.”  (Tom Hiddleston)  I was reading that in S. Korea, some people rent a coffin, climb into it and shut the lid in order to get away from life’s stress for a while, to think about the past and to vow to live a better life.  The Bible suggests that you might go into a closet to pray.    Regardless of how it’s done, thinking about our life, past, present and future seems like a good idea.    ;-)  Jack    

FROM HONEST JOHN:  For me, prayer involves listening.    When you hear the sounds of silence, you are tuning in.....and growing....====JACK:  Since you've had the experience of silence, did that enhance your communication with God, or was it just another dimension?  Simon and Garfunkel had a song, "The Sound of Silence."====JOHN:  You need to feel the presence of God.   It improves ones humility...the sense of being human.    It is wonderful to be human as long as that humanness is lived within the presence of the Living God.====JACK:  I've always liked the Brother Lawrence story, where he felt the presence of God in the "noise" of the monastery kitchen.

FROM TARMART REV:  I find it constantly before me, past-present-future. Most generally with a smile!!====JACK:  I'll bet the city of Willmar would pay attention if you crawled into a coffin (or went into a closet) for a time of past-present-future meditation.====REV:  I didn't look back over my shoulder including the coffin in my previous comment . . . I have commented to a few that I'm putting an electric shock device in my coffin that will enable my eye to wink at them as they walk by.

FROM RI IN BOSTON:  I don't know who Tom Hiddleston is but I like his insight.  I like yours too. ====JACK:  At first I shook my head at the S. Korean fad, but on second thought....

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  My nephew has been a professor at Seoul U. for several years now, and married a beautiful  S. Korean H.S. teacher. I wonder if they've ever known someone to crawl inside a rented coffin, etc. What a novel piece of info!  In the hustle and bustle of marriage, raising children, working full time, and social obligations, it is more difficult to take time just to reflect and think. The years go by in a blur! Retirement does  open up time for this type of reflection.   A comment of Robyn Davison (author of the book TRACKS, about her 1700 mile trek across the western desert of Australia with 4 camels and her dog!) made me smile:"The good Lord in His infinite wisdom gave us three things to make life bearable---Hope, Jokes, and Dogs."  I might underline hope, but do enjoy good jokes, and have had dogs, so I identify with her!  Imagine she had MUCH time to think on that trek!====JACK:  I think that we each have our times and places for meditation.  Mine is in front of the computer...and also in the church pew before the service begins.

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  Yes, but what we have is today which we have to live to enjoy and to help to make this better world.====JACK:  There here and now is the only reality that we have.  The past is past, and the future hasn't arrived.
   




No comments: