Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Jack’s Winning Words 1/27/16
“When you have nothing to do, rattle the door.”  (Albanian Proverb)  In pre-texting days, I’d call a friend and say, “Let’s go have a donut.”  Do you have such a friend…someone who’s there when you “rattle the door?”  At the donut shop we’d share stories, exchange advice, give support, and laugh, and be serious.  The Bible says that Jesus had friends.   I wonder how they spent time together.  “Jesus, have you time for a donut?”  Maybe prayer is like that.    ;-)  Jack  

FROM TARMART REV:  Panera has been a welcomed place for me when back in WB visiting! ====JACK:  Jesus finds his way to Panera, too.

FROM HONEST JOHN:  My sister Joan...who is ten years older than me.....was my friend in need.   We wrote to each other a couple of times a week and then with the onset of email have written every day.     Our parents died when we were young so she was the grandmother for my children. ====JACK:  We learned alot in the days of Pen Pals, when we practiced penmanship, learned about grammar and the value stamps, looked at maps for certain locations...Did you ever have a pen Pal (besides Joan)?====JOHN:  Not really....wrote to my Dad every week until he died when I was thirty.    My pen pal now seems to be an old Swede from Moline!====JACK:  Because of the computer, I'm in touch with far, far more old (and new) friends than in the days of "snail mail."  There are pluses and minuses that go with innovation.  I wish that I had written to my father and mother more often.====JACK:  My Dad was my best friend....my Mom shaped my life.    She died before I ever had a chance to write to her much.====JACK:  Aging gives us the opportunity to look back and to see (in part) how we have come to be what we are.

FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  jesus and i go for bagels...====JACK:  ...probably at Einstein's, too!

FROM RI IN BOSTON:  My motto is "When you have nothing to do...you better check again!"  My "to do" list just keeps getting longer.  I seem to remember a child's fairy tale with a lumberjack chopping down a tree, and every time he hacked a chunk out, two new chunks grew back.  That's the sort of progress I'm making with my projects to do.  Now that I think about it, my state of mind would probably improve if I went for the donut.  I wish I was close enough to rattle your door.  (I miss the breakfasts we had in the past.)====JACK:  I always have time for a donut, if it's 7:15 am, or 1:15 pm, or times in between (depending on circumstances).

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  When I have "nothing to do" I relish the time with a good book! When I had my twinner, in retirement years it would be a trip to the golf course for  a quick nine holes, etc. But a good friend to "do things" with like plays and concerts and shopping trips etc. is such a blessing!  I think we all feel blessed to have those  "door rattlers" in our lives!====JACK:  There are door rattlers, and then, there are "special" door rattlers.  "Count your many "specials," name them one by one..."

FROM DAZ IN DENVER:  I miss those donuts.====JACK:  I miss those conversations...family, politics, Civil War, whatever.

FROM ST PAUL IN MESA:  and if he blessed the donut,  would it then be a kind of sacrament?   Dunkin' Donuts would love for that to be true!!====JACK:  In seminary we had a lengthy discussion as to whether or not bread and wine were necessary for a celebration of the Lord's Supper.  A youth pastor, on a retreat, used Coke and Ritz crackers at a communion service.  What do you think?  What about coffee and donuts?  What part do the elements play in the Sacrament?

No comments: