Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Jack’s Winning Words 1/12/16
“I don’t know where I’m going from here, but I promise it won’t be boring.”  (David Bowie)  Bowie’s last single, released before his death, began, “Look up here, I’m in heaven.”  Because he had been in an 18-month cancer battle, there had been time to contemplate death--and David probably used his well-known imagination.  “Eye has not seen, nor ear heard, nor has the mind conceived what God has prepared…”  What is your imagination of heaven?    ;-)  Jack

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Wonder if he was a believer.  Do you think he was?====JACK:  As Pope Francis said about homosexuals, "Who am I to judge?"  I'll leave judging up to The Judge.

FROM TARMART REV:  "The best is yet to come!" I'm sure a worn-out phrase to many-- but "My hope is built on nothing less Than Jesus’ blood and righteousness; I dare not trust the sweetest frame, But wholly lean on Jesus’ name!"====JACK:  If we knew "for sure," where would faith come in? ====REV:  Very true!! Gotta have faith!!

FROM LBP IN PLYMOUTH:  Though it's interesting to hear how people perceive it, I've never been able to imagine it. Everything that I come up with seems wrong. I cannot get my human influences out of it. What is perfect? What is beautiful? What is tolerable for an eternity?====JACK:  God created the human form of Jesus, so that he could show and tell his love for people...but God is greater than that "container."  Jesus is all that we need to know.  All that we need to know about heaven is that God has promised life after this life.  The details aren't important.

FROM BB IN ILLINOIS:  The recent videos are disturbing to me but I so enjoy his art, his music, his inspired life.  Thanks for sharing the lyric.====JACK:  Have you seen his last single, Lazarus?  It really caused me to do a double take...and to see the Biblical Lazarus in a new way.

FROM HAWKEYE GEORGE:Beyond description.====JACK:  1 Corinthians 2:9.

FROM HONEST JOHN:  It is the "Peace of God which passes all imagination".    ( I have seen that as a possible translation of Phil. 4)====JACK:  Word for word translations are good and necessary, but there's a place for thought translations, too.  I guess that's what a sermon is...basically.

FROM PRJM:  Thanks for what I consider a tribute to David Bowie, Jack.  Shalom====JACK:  It was more than a tribute.  It was meant to be an affirmation that God shows up in some unusual places.  Jesus had a habit of doing that, too.

FROM BB IN ILLINOIS:  Curious – do you have time to reflect more on the video.  I find it confusing as he comes out of the closet and goes back in – a reference to life and afterlife? Floating above the bed a reference to so many accounts of people with near death experiences or something else?====JACK:  I found the video fascinating.  My reflection is contained in my commentary.  Bowie would have to explain the real meaning.  The eye peering through the shroud were especially captivating.  But, in the end, it's song composed by one who is staring death in the face.  I wonder what that must be like?

No comments: