Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Jack’s Winning Words 9/30/15
“Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same thing.”  (The Fray)  This quote caught my attention and introduced me to The Fray, a rock band formed in 2002.  A hit song of theirs is called, “How To Save A Life,” inspired when Isaac Slade was a mentor at a camp for troubled kids.  When people (kids or adults) have problems, what they often need is someone to talk with, someone to rely on.  That someone could be you.    ;-)  Jack  

FROM TARMART REV:  ...sometimes that is very true.====JACK:  Sometimes the counselors need counselling.

FROM RI IN BOSTON:  We should relate more with others around us, take notice of their concerns and make an effort to give some support.  Empathy and a few words of encouragement are simple means of giving a person a spiritual lift.  We get so preoccupied with our own concerns that we are oblivious to what's going on around us, and fail to engage with others who would benefit by our interest in them.====JACK:  There's a significant difference between sympathy and empathy. ====RI:  I suppose "compassion" would have been a better word than "empathy". ====JACK:  Compassion is from Latin, meaning to feel with or to suffer with.  Theoretically, empathy is good, but, perhaps realistically, compassion is better.====RI:  You certainly are into etymology.  Does that come from formal study while you were a theology student, or it is just something you pursued out of personal interest?====JACK:  I think that it come from studying a year of Latin and 5 years of Greek.  ====RI:  With 5 years of Greek, and your creative mind, you could perhaps manage that country's current problems better than they.====JACK:  You didn't ask about my grades.

 FROM TRIHARDER:  Oh, absolutely! Although it's not difficult to be ethical, it's also often not profitable. But, it's the borderline cases. "No one will be harmed; no one will know." I heard it first from Harold Norris, a law school professor (but not original to him): "Never do anything that you wouldn't want to see printed as a headline in tomorrow's NY Times."====JACK:  I once heard Harold Norris give a talk in our community.  At the time, I bought a book of his poetry.  Now, where did I put it?

FROM DOCTOR C:  They're one of my favorite bands!====JACK:  Recently I looked at more of their stuff.  Sometimes the lyrics get lost in the music.  What is it that you like most?  Music?  Lyrics?  Both?====DR C:  Both. And the fact they write it themselves based on their own experiences.====JACK:  I've become a fan of The Fray because of who they are, personally.

FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  this was a good quote but I still like Yogi's more:):)====JACK:  It's probably the generation gap!

FRO CHESTER THE GOOD:  Your WW today gave me goosebumps. I am in the process of trying to get my DoDad program launched. See attached logo design.====JACK:  Your WW today gave me goosebumps. I am in the process of trying to get my DoDad program launched. See attached logo design.====JACK:  We used to call them, Goose Pimples.  Bumps sounds better.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  It much harder to do the right thing when you want to do what you please.  It helps to rely on prayer!====JACK:  Let your conscience be your guide.....that is, if you have a reliable conscience.

FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  good song.====JACK:  Even better is the background story of the band.  I'm impressed.

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  Everyone needs someone like that.

No comments: