Monday, June 01, 2015

Jack’s Winning Words 6/1/15
“Everyone wants happiness.  No one wants pain.  But you can’t make a rainbow, without a little rain.”  (Quoted by Dolly Parton)  Dolly grew up “dirt poor” in a family of 12.  The doctor who delivered her was paid with a bag of oatmeal.  She began singing in her grandpa’s church choir at age 7.  Today, Dolly’s one of the wealthiest and most charitable of all country singers.  She says that a belief in God is essential for any happy and successful life.    ;-)  Jack

FROM RI IN BOSTON:  There's a keen bit of insight in the thought expressed there.  I don't know if Dolly wrote it or just quoted it, but I find her "down home" expressions rather enlightened at times.  Like they often say, out of the mouths of "babes".....====JACK:  I didn't know that you also were an expert on "babes."====RI:  Not an "expert", but sometimes one can't avoid noticing them.

FROM TARMART REV:  ...when he added a little brown sugar, raisins and milk to that cooked oatmeal, I'll bet he had a delightful breakfast. All because of delivering Dolly Parton!!====JACK:  I'm no doctor, but that was exactly my meal this morning.

FROM SB IN MICHIGAN:  Have you see the movie about a church choir competition, starring Dolly Parton? I think the title is something like “Joyful Noise.” It’s uplifting music.====JACK:  Many country singers seem to have gotten their start in church choirs.  June Carter Cash, Loretta Lynn and Dottie West are also known for singing Gospel music.

FROM BB IN ILLINOIS:  I actually have a fondness for Dolly.  Despite her complete artifice, she’s so honest, forthright and self-deprecating. A saw Dolly at an outdoor/picnic suburban concert venue when she was two and decided to name her favorite baby doll, Dolly Parton.====JACK:  I guess we all use artifice, to a greater or lesser degree.  Who among us to truly real to others?  Groucho had his cigar and fake moustache.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  We wouldn't cherish the happy times nearly so much, if we did  not have contrasting sad and "down" times in comparison!  Life is certainly a combination of both! Thank goodness for faith to walk by no matter what. I do feel that I have been blessed with an inordinate amount of the "happys"!!====JACK:  I think you were the one who once quoted Mother Teresa.  " I know God will not give me anything I can't handle.  I just wish God wouldn't trust me so much."

FROM CHESTER THE GOOD:  Dolly is one of the most prolific song writers in CW history. Her "I will always love you" is sung by EVERYBODY, CW or not.  One of her charities is free children's books through United Way. And she has a great sense of humor. Once to Johnny Carson.  "It takes a lot of money to look this trashy."  A classy gal.====JACK:  I liked her in the movie, "9 to 5," too!

No comments: