Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Jack’s Winning Words 3/31/15
“Bill and I are patient optimists.”  (Melinda Gates)  Another proponent of patient optimism is Warren Buffet.  He sees the “Good Book” as a teacher of insight, wisdom and patience.  He then takes these Bible values and applies them to investing decisions.  Buffet encourages Millennials to take the long view, because time is on their side.    I remember a quote from a Regina Brett book, “Give time, time.”  Patience works in many of life situations.  “It’ll work out.”    ;-)  Jack

FROM EDUCATOR PAUL:  I wish sometimes had more patience to be patient.====JACK:  I like the prayer..."God, give me patience, and give it to me now."  Sometimes it's not a joke.

FROM HONEST JOHN:  Patience AND Perseverance make a good combination.====JACK: I like the biblical story of the woman who continued to plead with Jesus saying, "even the dogs will eat the crumbs thrown under the table."  Jesus commended her perseverance.

FROM RI IN BOSTON:  I think you don't even have to be an optimist...with patience we will see that our concerns or expectations will work themselves out.  Sometimes it takes more time than we like because we are all in a hurry.  Shakespeare asserted a somewhat related maxim in his words "the truth will out", that sooner or later time will disclose everything.====JACK:  Jesus said, "Blessed are those have not seen and still believe."  Those are the optimists.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  The Gates are certainly to be commended for their use of wealth!  I like Andy Wimmer's quote (quit his lucrative financial advisor job to work for no salary at a hospice center in Kalighat, India):"My life is a loan from God. I will pay it back with interest...you love; you serve the brother and sister in front of you. That is how you have a happy life."  Tonight is our turn to feed the homeless, a chance to "pay it back".with patient kindness and love. A tiny ray of light offered to the world...====JACK:  There are those who would say that Bill and Melinda and Andy can afford to give, because they have so much.  This not about them (or even about the poor widow who gave two mites in the Temple offering), it's about us and what we are doing with what we have.
====OAKS:   As Bill used to quote to our congregation: "IT'S NOT WHAT YOU'D DO WITH A MILLION, IF FORTUNE SHOULD BE YOUR LOT, BUT WHAT YOU'RE DOING NOW, WITH THE BUCK AND A HALF YOU'VE GOT!"  MORE TO THE POINT FOR US....:-====JACK:  He knew what to say and how to say it, didn't he?

FROM TARMART REV:  Let's see now, I'm to be a patient patient, giving time time to work itself out!====JACK:  If you think that patience is hard for you, think of what it must be like for God... as far as you and I are concerned.


FROM DAIRYLAND DONNA:  Patience. H-m-m-m.  Do you think 20 years from now anyone will have any patience at all when we live in a world where most everything we do is based on speed and when it is slow we tend to become angry?  Road rage is a perfect example. More and more I hesitate to even use my horn when cut off in consideration of the fact that the person I am beeping at might be carrying a gun and be having a "bad day."====JACK:  When it comes to patience, I think that it would be good for each of us to reread the story of Job.  How did he do it?  I like what Job said to his friends who wanted him to curse God because of his misfortunes..."Though he slay me, yet will I trust him."  That verse is one of my favorites.


FROM CHESTER THE GOOD:  Thanks. I needed that.====JACK:  One of the reasons why I continue with Winning Words is because of responses like yours....and for what it does for me, too. 


 FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  I wonder if Bill Gates and his wife are Christians.  I know they have used a lot of their earnings for charity.  It seems to be easy to be optimist and patient when things are going well.  We have to learn to lean on God when they aren't going well.  An optimist knows that "Sundays comin'"====JACK:  To determine whether one is a Christian or not is not always easy to do.  Words are sometimes suspect.  I like the title of the poem by Edgar Guest..."I'd rather see a sermon than hear one any day."  I believe that Bill and Melinda truly care about their fellow human beings.  The world needs more people like that.====JUDY:  Good point!  It shouldn't matter if one is Christian or not, I really didn't mean it that way.  It is very true about living a true Christian life than sitting/sleeping in church.



No comments: