Monday, February 23, 2015

Jack’s Winning Words 2/23/15
“Life is supposed to feel good.  What happens when it doesn’t?”  (C.S. Lewis)  Here are a few suggestions (from a list of 29) on how to break out of a funk:  Take a cold shower…Play music—loud…Tidy up the house…Talk to a friend…Fake a laugh…Do something, anything!  You might even sing along with James Brown, “I Feel So Good.”  Is there some song that lifts your spirits?  I like Thomas Dorsey’s, “Precious Lord, Take My Hand.”     ;-)  Jack

  FROM EDUCATOR PAUL:  Good one, Jack!  Psychologist in the past argued about the relationship between attitudes and behavior. Well, it is now well accepted that behavior forms attitudes. In other words, if one acts in a very specific manner long enough and other specific conditions,  an attitude associated with that behavior is extremely probable. It does not work the other way. So, when the British said , "keep a stiff upper lip" they were crystallizing the attitudes of a nation!====JACK:  Counsellors will note a trembling upper lip to be a sign of fear or weakness, hence, a stiff upper lip is seen as an indicator of resolve.  Isn't it interesting how the body gives off its messages?

FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  Like.====JACK:  I'm glad that you "feel good" about this one.

FROM HONEST JOHN:  Or, if you are facing a problem, deal with it.   In any case, don't forget your morning devotions...they make a difference.====JACK:  What do "morning devotions" mean to you?  George Beverly Shea used to sing this song..."Early in the morning, while the world is still
Before the daylight streaks the sky, I would know His will.  I commune with Christ my Saviour and listen carefully  To gain the strength I need to day  While praying quietly
Thank you Lord, for seeing me  Thank you Lord for knowing who I am
Thank you Lord hearing me,  It's so easy to get lost these days  In the shuffle and the noise."
====JACK:  Martin Luther used this prayer as part of his morning devotions.  Morning Prayer..."I thank you, my heavenly Father, through Jesus Christ, your dear Son, that you have kept me this night from all harm and danger. Keep me this day also from sin and every evil, that all my doings and life may please you. Into your hands I commend my body and soul and all things. Let your holy angel be with me, that the wicked foe may have no power over me. Amen."  You can order it, printed on a coffee mug ($13.99 + s&h) from CafePress.com.  That mug would be great to use while doing your own morning devotions.

FROM TARMART REV:  "You can have A SONG IN YOUR HEART IN THE NIGHT, After every trial, after every mile. Anyone can sing when the sun’s shining bright. But you can have a song in your heart at night."====JACK:  I don't think that song is in the Lutheran Hymnal, but I like the advice that it gives.====REV:  Not in our hymnal either...learned it as a small boy attending church in Kansas...probably during a VBS program one year

FROM RI IN BOSTON:  If I'm in the blahs, to get back to a happy state of mind I like to take a bit of time to consider what I've accomplished in life, and most importantly concentrating on the people who supported, encouraged, and helped pave the way for me, or gave me opportunities to succeed.  There are a lot of people of good will out there, and I've been fortunate over the years to have known some of them, and benefited greatly from it.  That buoys me up again.====JACK:  A businessman friend of mine had a folder in his desk drawer where he kept complimentary notes and letters that he had received from customers.  During the down days, he'd pull out the folder and read some of what was inside.

FROM CHESTER THE GOOD:  I like Sinatra's High Hopes.====JACK:  Sing it Chester!
Next time you're found   With your chin on the ground   There's a lot to be learned   So look around
Just what makes that little old ant   Think he'll move that rubber tree plant
Anyone knows an ant, can't   Move a rubber tree plant
But he's got high hopes   He's got high hopes   He's got high apple pie   In the sky hopes
So any time you're gettin' low   'Stead of lettin' go, just remember that ant
Oops, there goes another rubber tree plant
Oops, there goes another rubber tree plant
Oops, there goes another rubber tree plant

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  "Sing Hallelujah! Hallelujah! Gets you through the darkest day; When cares pursue ya, Hallelujah, it will shoo the blues away...Satan lies awaitin' and creatin' skies of gray, so Hallelujah! Hallelujah. etc". :-) An upbeat reminder to think (and sing) positively! I read an arresting comment in March Guidepost, "What if you woke up today with only the things that you had thanked God for yesterday? (Brad Johnson)  Good to ponder, too!  C.S. Lewis was a deep thinker. So thankful for his books and devotional writings.====JACK:  I've heard of Handel's Hallelujah Chorus being sung as a funeral recessional hymn.====OAKS:  AND IN FACT IT WAS PLAYED AND SUNG AT THE RECESSIONAL OF BILL'S FUNERAL. VERY UPBEAT AS THE FAMILY FILED OUT AMID  A PACKED CONGREGATION!!====JACK:  Appropriate1
FROM ST. PAUL IN MESA:  I like the line:  don't vorry, be hapski!  (mutilated Russian)! :):)====JACK:  I remember preaching a sermon, "Don't Worry, Be Happy," during the time when Bobby McFerrin's song was popular.

FROM KF IN MICHIGAN:  "Precious Lord" is in my top 5 favorite hymns; ).  It is very soothing. ====JACK:  Sometime you might want to read the background of that hymn.  It will bring the words to life.  And, NO, it was not written by Tommy Dorsey, the band leader






No comments: