Thursday, February 12, 2015

Jack’s Winning Words 2/12/15
“I do not like that man.  I must get to know him better.”  (A. Lincoln)  “Homespun” is a word that describes many of the Lincoln quotes…just common sense advice.  This world would be a better place if we could just get to know one another better…in religion, politics, racially, the rich and poor.  Another of his quotes speaks to this:  “Am I not destroying my enemies when I make them my friends?”  Happy birthday, Abe!  Thanks for helping us understand.    ;-)  Jack   

FROM EDUCATOR PAUL:  Sometimes....knowing someone better solidifies staying away from them.====JACK:  Prejudice is a word that comes from pre-judgment which comes from forming an opinion without enough knowledge.====PAUL:  Yup..I think you know what I was trying to say…  ====JACK:  Yup..I think you know what I was trying to say…

FROM SBP IN FLORIDA:  I like the Lincoln quote.  It has come to mind more than once over the years .  Thanks.====JACK:  Will Rogers said,  "I never met a man I didn't like."  Did he really mean that, or was he just kidding around?====SBP:  Well,Will Rogers , as I recall, was pretty easy going.
Well, Will was easy going, as I recall. and philosophical, I assume that his demeanor was such that he made new acquaintances feel comfortable and, therefore, they were at ease in his presence. My experience is that if a person is warm and pleasant it puts  me at ease with them. .   Is it “the power of positive” thinking?====JACK:  Personally, I'd rather be around positive people than negative ones.

FROM DR J IN OHIO:  I like this!====JACK:  Sometimes teachers really have to work at "liking" certain students.

FROM C IN MICHIGAN:  I really like this one!====JACK:  I'm sure that Lincoln had to work at this one in order make it happen.  I've found that there are usually "hidden reasons" that cause people to act as they do.====C:  I have typed this one up and hung it in my office…. I need constant reminders!====JACK:  Another reminder...Control the things you can control.

FROM TARMART REV:  “Am I not destroying my enemies when I make them my friends?”  (Abraham Lincoln)  -- That ones a keeper in my treasure chest of truths, Jack!!====JACK:  I think we'd have a hard time running out of good Lincoln quotes in our lifetime.

FROM PEPPERMINT MARY:  you've got to love 'em til they love you back.  not always easy, but usually effective.====JACK:  Jesus says that there's a time when you can move on..."If anyone will not welcome you or listen to your words, leave that home or town and shake the dust off your feet."

FROM PEACEFUL WARRIOR:  The ones who are hardest to love are usually the ones who need it the most.

FROM HAWKEYE GEORGE:  When I was in conflict with a person, if I prayed for him my disagreement usually disappeared.====JACK:  Congratulations on your  way of meeting conflict.  I've always liked the Lord's Prayer petition..."Thy will be done on earth..."  Sometimes the change needs to happen for "both" in the midst of conflict.

FROM CHESTER THE GOOD:  Some of the people like all of the people some of the time, all of the people like some of the people some of the time, but not all of the people like all of the people all of the time. Only Will Rogers. (Abe Lincoln...Adapted)====JACK:  I'll bet there were some that Lincoln still didn't like, even when he got to know them better.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  What a down-to-earth homespun philosopher Abraham was (He didn't like the shortened "ABE"!)  Martin Luther King Jr. once said, "In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends..."  pertinent to his life, I'm sure!  Dwight Eisenhower says, "Never waste a minute thinking about people you don't like."!  I'm sure neither he nor Mamie did!  When you know people's stories, you at least are more tolerant of why they are the way they are, even if you choose not to be their bosom buddies!  HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO A. LINCOLN, A REMARKABLE PERSON AND PRESIDENT!! His life was never easy!====JACK:  The words said negatively about us are often like cockleburrs (how long has it been since you've said that word?)

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Lincoln was so simple yet so very wise!  He had a great sense of fairness and kindness.  He wasn't perfect but he was a great man.====JACK:  ...and he had a sense of humor, too.====JUDY:  Yes.  He also loved God but didn't like church service.====JACK:  Today, he'd be classified as SBNR, Spiritual But Not Religious.

FROM SHARIN' SHARON:  Actually, I also like Lincoln's two quotes in the WW words today and believe we have to strive constantly to be reconciled to others who are different from ourselves; however, I do believe also that it's not wise to always try to do that alone but need to be bolstered up by God and the faith community. Abuse and abusive situations are very real and difficult to overcome and people who have power can really enjoy exerting it over someone else and be afraid of relinquishing that power. Still goodness and love are more powerful than fear and trying to control others. Wish Lincoln's WW were easier--I personally struggle with WW like them.====JACK:  There are times, too, when the struggle can make us stronger.  That's what exercise is all about.

ST. PAUL IN MESA:  good quotes indeed!====JACK:  Lincoln was quotable, because he "knew" his audience.  More preachers should be like that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Actually, I also like Lincoln's two quotes in the WW words today and believe we have to strive constantly to be reconciled to others who are different from ourselves; however, I do believe also that it's not wise to always try to do that alone but need to be bolstered up by God and the faith community. Abuse and abusive situations are very real and difficult to overcome and people who have power can really enjoy exerting it over someone else and be afraid of relinquishing that power. Still goodness and love are more powerful than fear and trying to control others. Wish Lincoln's WW were easier--I personally struggle with WW like them.
S.H. in MI