Monday, June 23, 2014

Jack’s Winning Words 6/23/14
“Whatever God wants, I second the motion.”  (Ashleigh Brilliant)  If has been said of A.B., “He thinks long and writes short.”  I miss his daily newspaper “Pot Shots.”  His name describes him--Brilliant.  Today’s quote is a restating of that Lord’s Prayer petition, “Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven.”  When we present our prayer requests to God, it might be a good idea to conclude, “But whatever you want…”    ;-)  Jack 

FROM PH IN MINNESOTA:  not my will but Thine be done, as my Mother used to say.... ====JACK:   Your mom's words fit well with one of my very first Winning Words..."Virtue is learned at mother's knee.  Vice is learned at other joints."

FROM TARMART REV:  Amen, Sir!! Good post reminder for me this Monday morning!! ====JACK: There's a famous Latin phrase which I'll give to you in English..."Bidden or not bidden, God is present (even on Monday mornings)."

FROM EMT SINGS IN MICHIGAN:  I too am a fan of A..B. I have two of his books.====JACK:  I see that he's published 14 books.  So,  maybe you can drop a hint to Santa Claus.

FROM CHRISTIAN ON CAPE COD:  This is nice- I will share it with our church council!   It’s short, pithy, but thought provoking (and at times challenging)  Blessings to you this day!  (A beautiful day here on the Cape with blue skies, shining sun, and temperatures in the 60’s)====JACK:  A mother told me how difficult it was to pray "Thy will be done," when she was standing beside her son's casket.  But when she did get the words out, there was a sense of peace that came to her.

FROM LP IN PLYMOUTH:  When we present our prayer requests to God, it might be a good idea to conclude, “But whatever you want…”   I remember you teaching us that in confirmation class. Who says kids don't listen?====JACK:  As I reflect on my "60 years", teaching confirmation classes was one of the most satisfying things that I recall.  Sometimes I go to the wall where the pictures of the classes are displayed....and remember.====LP: Ha! Just the other day Grandma asked if I kept up with any of my confirmation classmates. I don't but I was surprised that without the picture in front of me, I was able to name most of them.====JACK:  I'd have a hard time doing that for my class.  There were 50.  However, their names are listed in the front of my confirmation Bible.
 
FROM BLAZING OAKS  I'M SURE IT IS MUCH HARDER TO SAY 'WHATEVER YOU WANT, GOD",  WHEN THERE IS NO HAPPY ENDING, (IN OUR OPINIONS)  BUT  BRILLIANT'S EPIGRAMS ARE A TREASURE...HIS BOOKS WITH THEIR INTRIGUING TITLES: "WEVE BEEN THROUGH A LOT TOGETHER, AND MOST OF IT WAS YOUR FAULT:AND MORE  :& MORE BRILLIANT THOUGHTS... "I  TRY TO TAKE ONE DAY AT A TIME BUT SOMETIMES SEVERAL DAYS ATTACK ME AT ONCE"...."I'M JUST MOVING CLOUDS TODAY, BUT TOMORROW I'LL TRY MOUNTAINS: & OTHER MORE OR LESS BLISSFULLY BRILLIANT THOUGHTS"....THIS OCTOGENARIAN HAS MADE HIS MARK IN THE WORLD, WHIMSICAL, YET PROFOUND. THANK FOR REMINDING US!====JACK:  The quote I used came from his book, titled.."ALL I WANT IS A WARM BED AND A KIND WORD AND UNLIMITED POWER."

FROM SBP IN FLORIDA:  Maybe my "age" allows me to be a bit more philosophical, however, it is a relief to acknowledge that God has a plan and His will is the ultimate. That doesn't, I believe. preclude our working toward things to which we aspire and for which we need help and for which we pray. But it's a comfort to me knowing that I'm not alone on the path.  Don't know Ashleigh Brilliant. After "Googling" him, he's on my "to read" list.====JACK:  I don't know that philosophy is an "age" thing.  I remember being a "wonderer" in my teens.  I often saw myself standing on the balcony, looking down and wondering about what was going on as people and events marched by.  I continue to be interested in that.  Sometimes I even walk down the stairs and join the parade

1 comment:

SBP said...

Maybe my "age" allows me to be a bit more philosophical, however, it is a relief to acknowledge that God has a plan and His will is the ultimate. That doesn't, I believe. preclude our working toward things to which we aspire and for which we need help and for which we pray. But it's a comfort to me knowing that I'm not alone on the path.
Don't know Ashleigh Brilliant. After "Googling" him, he's on my "to read" list. Thanks.