Friday, June 13, 2014

Jack’s Winning Words 6/13/14
“No day is so bad it can’t be fixed with a nap.”  (Carrie Snow)  People can be fired if they’re caught napping on the job, however…there are studies which show that “power naps” can be a benefit to workers by increasing creativity, stamina and decision making, besides reducing stress.  Sara Mednick’s book, Take A Nap, claims that nap-taking is like a miracle drug.  All in favor of napping, say, “ZZZZZZ!”  ;-)  Jack 

FROM ROSE IN FRANCE:  I am currently at work at my job in France so it is just about lunch time, and I was thinking about how tired I am...this came at quite the right time...Maybe I will forward the message to my boss ;)====JACK:  I've read that everything closes down in France for lunch.  How does the workday compare with the typical one in the USA?  I've also heard that most people have a glass of wine with their meals....Even breakfast?

FROM MICHIZONA RAY:  Are you kidding? I LOVE naps. They are right up there with my favorites likes ice cream, or chocolate, or basted eggs in bacon grease ....only naps are good for you too! My naps require more than 20 minutes though.====JACK:  I've even seen people taking a nap in church during sermon-time.  I recall seeing a woman punch her husband in the ribs during one of those naptimes...and smiled as he suddenly woke up.  Preachers see interesting stuff from their pulpit vantage point.

FROM HONEST JOHN:  I have "napped" almost every day of my life...even at Augie.... down in the stacks at Denkmann.====JACK:  The Wall Street Journal says that a Power Nap of 10 to 20 minutes gives the brain a real jolt.  No wonder you were such a success in college.

FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  as it is friday, the 13th, plus the full moon... nap may be safest route!====JACK: Does that mean you're an omenologist?

FROM JM IN MICHIGAN:  ZZZZZZZ! and Amen!====JACK:  Most people take their naps in the afternoon, not in the morning.  The day has just begun.====JM:  When you wake up way too early and haven't had enough sleep, 9:30 is perfect nap time!  Hee, hee!  However, I was just responding to your request, "all in favor of napping" which I am much in favor of doing.  So I said ZZZZ.
Winston Churchill is said to have taken a half hour nap every afternoon during the stressful time of WWII.  That "made one day into two", he claimed, and gave him energy to remain positive during those dark times for Great Britain.  Naps are good.

   FROM SHARIN' SHARON:  Naps are my favorite destressor!!!! I lay down, close my eyes and talk with God and, before I know it, feel so much more peaceful and relaxed. A person has got to finally be still for a bit and then you really appreciate napping. Jerry and I just took the Amtrak to and from New Orleans, for our daughter's and her husband's wedding and I think one reason we did so well on the trip was because we both are used to--and don't feel guilty about-- napping. Some great WW today again!!!!====JACK:  I wonder if Psalm 46:10 should be translated, "Take a nap and know that I am God?"

FROM RI IN BOSTON:  ZZZZZZ...(I'm wondering if it was my wife that you saw punching me in the ribs as I napped while you were preaching?  BTW, no offense about your preaching.====JACK:  One of my favorite cartoons shows a pastor orating from the pulpit, with Jesus sitting in the front row....sleeping.

FROM DP IN MINNESOTA:  ZZZZZZZ...twenty minutes every day!====JACK:  20 minutes is said to be the length of a Power Nap.  No wonder you're so peppy.

FROM TARMART REV:   “ZZZZZZ!” Hopefully back together on Monday . . . have a blessed day and weekend, Jack!! 0;-)    PS . . . Story is told of a Jehovah Witness canvassing a neighborhood on a weekend, knocking on a door of a particular home . . . the man of the house opens the door, greets the gentleman wholeheartedly, immediately invites him in and to the dinning table and asks his wife to bring him a cup of coffee . . . he then asks the JW what it was he wanted to tell him? The JW, with a startled look on his face says, "Well, I don't know. I've never been this far in a home before?!?!" 0;-)) ====JACK:  I've sometimes wondered what the Church would be like if the membership would have the zeal of the JWs.  I suppose you know that there were two Simons among the disciples of Jesus, Simon Peter and Simon, the Zealot (sometimes referred to as one of the most obscure disciples).

FROM JE IN MICHIGAN:  I’m in favor of  napping!!!!  So is my dog, Baxter. He’s so energetic after his nap when I come in the evening.  Kids are so much happier after a nap.  Naps RULE!! ====JACK:  Naps rule?  Tell that to your boss.

FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER:  I've often wondered if the nap we took in kindergarden was because the teacher was tired.====JACK:  I don't remember napping, but I do remember learning about the American Indians.  The teacher (What was her name?) used a book with many exciting illustrations.  I'd like to see that book again.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  A few years I would have laughed at this, but now I find it the absolute truth.  I used to laugh when I came home from choir and found Grandma Lenn sleeping in the chair and Kimberly playing quietly on the floor in the living room.  Earlier this week, I babysat my granddaughters and was gently awoke with a tap on my arm..."Monnie are you sleeping?"  (They call me Monnie for whatever reason.)  So, life has come full circle.  A nap is wonderful!!!====JACK:  Young  people have a difficult time imagining what it must be like to be old, but older people can easily remember what it was like to be young.  Ain't life grand?

FROM WATERFORD JAN:  I was very busy this morning and early afternoon and just now had an opportunity to read the Winning Words for today.  I agree about naps--they are very theeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz====JACK:  I seldom take a nap, but today I thought I'd try one out.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  I'm not a napper;, but there are days, now, in my old age, when it sure is tempting; but do sit down to read a bit when I can! There is a business I read about that has a nap time in early afternoon;, but can't think which one it was. Well known!  A brief power nap for any who want it!====JACK:  Google lists ten companies that permit napping.  The list includes, Google.

2 comments:

Ray Gage said...

Are you kidding? I LOVE naps. They are right up there with my favorites likes ice cream, or chocolate, or basted eggs in bacon grease ....only naps are good for you too! My naps require more than 20 minutes though.

Anonymous said...

Naps are my favorite destressor!!!! I lay down, close my eyes and talk with God and, before I know it, feel so much more peaceful and relaxed. A person has got to finally be still for a bit and then you really appreciate napping. Jerry and I just took the Amtrak to and from New Orleans, for our daughter's and her husband's wedding and I think one reason we did so well on the trip was because we both are used to--and don't feel guilty about-- napping. Some great WW today again!!!!
S.H. in MI