Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Jack’s Winning Words 4/29/14
“Drive is considered aggression today.  I knew it, then, as purpose.”  (Bette Davis)  BD is one of the great movie actresses of all time, even though she had a reputation of being difficult to deal with.  She said, “I was thought to be stuck up.  I was just sure of myself.”  One thing we need to know about people is that what they show on the outside is not necessarily who they are…really.  Try to see beyond the façade…today.    ;-)  Jack

FROM TARMART REV:  Good advice from a good friend this morning!!====JACK:  Are you an aggressive or passive driver?====REV:  Probably would find others discovering me passive . . . I see me as a self-motivated aggressive driver on my part, always looking for ways to connect with folk. 0;-/====JACK:  Just so you don't connect, metal to metal.====REV:  That would even curl a balding man's hair!! 9;-)

FROM SHARIN' SHARON:  Trying to see beyond the façade...today. It's hardest to see beyond the façade of self-sufficiency. That looks so comfortable but it's probably usually a mirage. Thanks for your WW again today, thinking some upon them.====JACK:  Façade is an interesting word.  It means that masks are worn on more days than one.

FROM BB IN ILLINOIS:  Thanks Jack – and isn’t it sometimes a matter of interpretation. We are so easy to judge others behavior, motivations, habits rather than “put the best construction on everything”. Gosh we Missouri sinners memorized a lot of catechism.====JACK:  I just saw a couple of political TV ads knocking the opposing candidate who's running to be a U.S. senator.  That candidate is a personal friend of mine, and the ads were anything but charitable.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  I have her famous saying, "Old Age Is Not For Sissies!" on a hand-painted plate hanging on my kitchen wall. Often true! :-) As Eleanor Roosevelt said, "No one can make you feel inferior, without your consent." You have to have avid faith in yourself, to be successful in what you do. That involves inner drive or being sure of yourself! BD figured it out! ====JACK:  There was fire in those Bette Davis eyes.  BTW, I like that song, Bette Davis eyes.  I think  I'll go to YouTube and listen to it.

FROM RI IN BOSTON:  Celebrities often dispense excuses for their arrogance or aberrant behavior.  Frank Lloyd Wright flaunted himself, regularly explaining that he had a choice of hypocritical humility or honest arrogance, and he chose the latter.  Of course he never said why it was necessary to limit oneself to just those two extremes.====JACK:  It's said that if you want to know what a man is really like, ask his valet (or wife).

FROM SBP IN FLORIDA:  What a plethora, myriad, whirlwind of thoughts and feelings today's WW called up! My first reaction was a sense of poignancy....of sadness, loneliness, behind a façade that I didn't understand. {Webster's doesn't included in it's synonyms .... I'd add "shield":) But it's a topic that I'll spring on our next family gathering. I think. do with the ....when 've looked into...diverse purposes, needs, feelings......Not a topic that we can determine what's "behind the mask."...in ten words or less!  When we look beyond the façade and think we understand....what do we do? I know what I've done in many instances....but there is such a diversity of facades. ====JACK:  Even though the face may be covered with a false face, the eyes (Bette Davis eyes) continue to be a window to the soul.  I asked my ophthamologist if that was true about the eyes.  She said that she didn't know about that.  I guess it's a philosophical question. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Trying to see beyond the façade...today. It's hardest to see beyond the façade of self-sufficiency. That looks so comfortable but it's probably usually a mirage. Thanks for your WW again today, thinking some upon them.
S.H. in MI

SBP said...

What a plethora, myriad, whirlwind of thoughts and feelings todsy's WW called up! My first reaction was a sense of poignancy....of wisffulness ,sadness, loneliness, behind a façade that I didn't understand. {Webster's doesn't included in it's synonyms .... I'd add "shield":)But It's a topic that I'll spring on our next family gathering. I think. do with the ....when 've looked into...diverse purposes, needs,feelings......Not a topic that we can determine what's "behind the mask."...in ten words or less!

SBP said...

My fingers ...as they are prone to do....delivered a fractured message. No need to post. "wistfulness...
....correction.... When we look beyond the façade and think we understand....what do we do? I know what I've done in many instances....but there is such a diversity of facades.