Tuesday, April 01, 2014

Jack’s Winning Words 4/1/14
 “Lord, what fools these mortals be.”  (Shakespeare)  On the face of it, this quote refers to the foolish things people do when they’re in love.  Can you relate?  But lovers aren’t the only ones who act as fools.  Look around you, and don’t forget the mirror. There’s a Welsh proverb which says, “If every fool wore a crown, we’d all be kings.”  BTW, I wonder if anyone will make you (or me) feel like a nincompoop today?    ;-)  Jack

 FROM HONEST JOHN:  And, yet, the Fool occupies an almost heroic position in the Shakespearean  literature.====JACK:  Maybe you've heard of this song.  Good fools are hard to find!
 Now listen to me baby, I think you should be told
When they made yo' daddy, somebody went an' broke the mold
A good fool, a good fool is hard to find
You take the lesson from me woman, a good fool is hard to find

 FROM TRIHARDER:  Well said. As for "nincompoop", remember, it's April 1.====JACK:  My grandchildren aren't nincompoops.  When I called them today to tell them that Max Scherzer had been traded to Oakland, each responded, "When I saw who was calling and knew that it was April 1st, I was prepared.  April Fool!"  My son gave a similar response.

 FROM TARMART REV:   . . . the only one I can think of is that one I saw in the mirror this morning!! ====JACK:  Now, what are you going to do with that cracked mirror?

 FROM MICHIZONA RAY:  Proverbs and Ecclesiastes frequently refer to the foolish and foolish activity. I remember how often I thought it was referring to "other" people....that was foolish of me. It is much easier to see foolishness outside of oneself, because if a fool could see his/her own foolishness, (s)he wouldn't be a fool -- but in a transition from such a state. Fools think they're "right"; and will repeat their foolish patterns. I think I'm going to read some more of Proverbs and Ecclesiastes this morning.====JACK:  Proverbs and Ecclesiastes are two of my favorites.  Mark 17 also has some thoughts on foolishness.

 FROM BLAZING OAKS:  I love the Welsh proverb today! Too true, we are all the fool at one time or another. My S.S. class lesson was on the book of Proverbs last week.  Wisdom certainly comes from experience! Reminds me of Mark Twain saying, "When I was 14  my father was so ignorant i could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much he had learned in seven years!"  Hope we can avoid being a nincompoop on this beautiful Spring Fool's Day!====JACK:   It would have been fun (in the spirit of April Fools Day to point out to your Sunday School class these Proverbs...11:22...20:29...21:19...23:29-33...26:11...30:18,19.

 FROM PLAINFOLKS CHESTER:  The only time I feel lie a nincompoop is when I respond to WW. So, I will not respond today.====JACK:  BTW, I was able to contact Gene J on the phone, and he remembers the double dates.  Do you want to follow up?

 FROM LP IN SOUTH CAROLINA:  I had to chuckle at your last sentence.  Reminded me of Dad, nincompoop was one of his favorite words to use!  LOL!  I have not heard that in years.  Must be a generational thing!====JACK:  It was either nincompoop or ninny.

 FROM RS IN TEXAS:  ........or perhaps an April Fool.  On another note, not sure if you have read "The Time Keeper" by Mitch Albom.   Good book from a good guy from your part of the world.====JACK:  I remember a time when we would send (or give) April Fool cards to family and friends.  BTW, we're proud of Mitch who came to Detroit as a sports writer from New York.  He's the best, and I've read each of his books.  He occasionally still does sports, but he's mainly a general commentator writer and broadcaster.

 FROM KF IN MICHIGAN:  I studied all of Shakespeare's fools at Oxford University for my study abroad program : )  ... and did spend some time with the Welsh ..... now there's some fools ..... have you seen how they spell??? World's longest word!!!====JACK:  Is this it?  Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwll-llantysiliogogogoch






2 comments:

Ray Gage said...

Proverbs and Ecclesiastes frequently refer to the foolish and foolish activity. I remember how often I thought it was referring to "other" people....that was foolish of me. It is much easier to see foolishness outside of oneself, because if a fool could see his/her own foolishness, (s)he wouldn't be a fool -- but in a transition from such a state. Fools think they're "right"; and will repeat their foolish patterns. I think I'm going to read some more of Proverbs and Ecclesiastes this morning.

Ray gage said...

April fools?