Thursday, March 27, 2014

Jack’s Winning Words 3/27/14
“If you can’t do what you want, do what you can.”  (Lois McMaster Bujold)  The Sochi Paralympics were truly inspiring.  Skiers without arms, hockey players without legs, athletes with limited vision.  If you want something badly enough, you will find a way.  I know some people who had a pastor with no arms, but he learned to use his feet when he sat the table to eat.  He was also able (somehow) to paint his house.    ;-)  Jack

 FROM TARMART REV:  A few of those folk in my life as well . . . we all cried when one of our students at Bible College, with very short arms and little tiny stubs for fingers, testified how thankful he was that day that he could now button his top button on his shirt . . . a true winner in my book!!====JACK  I think of those fellows who wanted to bring their sick friend to see Jesus, but couldn't get into the house where Jesus was, because of the crowd.  They then climbed onto the top of the house, removed some of the roofing and lowered their friend down to where Jesus was.  Where there's a will, there's a way.  That's one of my favorite picturesque Bible stories.  I'm sure that it's a favorite of yours, too.====REV:  Yes . . .what we are to be about . . . "rope holders!"

 FROM CL IN SANTA BARBARA:  Jack, are you familiar with Nick Vujicic? An amazing Christian. We brought him to town a few years ago to speak to our young Christian high school, Providence Hall. ====JACK:  I seem to remember being "introduced" to him through a link (www.lifewithoutlimbs.org)
that you sent me.  A truly inspirational individual.  It's good that your high schoolers could get to know him, too.  We need to have role models, whatever our age might be.

 FROM BLAZING OAKS:  I stand in awe of Nick Vujicic, born with no arms and no legs, and he has become a world renown motivational  speaker and preacher with inspiring faith. His books are wonderful, and his videos. And my hat is certainly off to his beautiful wife, who saw beyond his disabilities and loved him!!  He is so thankful for his baby son, born perfect in every way. Still he feels God uses him "just the way I am" and he accepts that. (He still keeps a pr of shoes in his closet, if the time comes when his prayers  for healing materialize, he says with a wry grin..) And look at the paralympic skier with two artificial legs, who is amazing on "dancing With the Stars" this season!  What determination  in the face of such odds! It is humbling!!====JACK:  You're the 2nd one to mention Nick Vujicic as an example of one who found a way to overcome his limitations.  Truly an inspiration!

 FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  We sat down with our grandsons to watch the Paralympics.  We thought they should see how much the athletics could do even with "disabilities".  The human spirit is wonderful.  The boys especially liked and admired the sight-impaired skiers and how they followed the seeing skiers.  That's a lot of faith and a lot of skill!====JACK:  As I watched, I was amazed at what the athletes could do, rather than watching and feeling sorry for them.

 FROM GUSTIE MARLYS:  Very good quote. I got a good fortune cookie the other day.  Thought I would share it with you.  "TO LOVE WHAT YOU DO AND FEEL THAT IT MATTERS---HOW COULD ANYTHING BE MORE FUN?"     I thought it was a good one.====JACK:  Your response causes me to ponder...what is good fortune, and, what is bad fortune?  Life happens.  Those are fortunate who are able to take a sow's ear and make a purse.

 FROM CS IN WISCONSIN:  We watched Prince William’s walk to the South Pole last night with wounded soldiers.  It was very inspiring what each individual learned about themselves and in the end they learned to like themselves better about learned they had to help others and work as a team.====JACK:  We didn't get our TV Magazine this week, so we missed seeing the walk.  I hope that there's a rerun.

 FROM FLAMINGURU IN ILLINOIS:  Good morning:) last night I talked about Matthew Sandford, a Yoga Teacher Who Is Paralyzed From The Chest down. His book, WAKING is a wonderful inspirational story of his journey from "living with out" to living fully. I had twisted my ankle, and used this as my lesson. We can always do something! I love your message today& every day:) thank you.====JACK:  Even a twisted ankle can come in handy when you're looking for an illustration of how something "bad" can be used for something "good."  I suppose you weren't able to get into the Lotus posture, were you?====GURU:  Surprisingly I was:) but there were things I had to modify, &that was the essence of the lessons. ..for my students and myself! I kept a chair nearby for balance.  Every time I'm sick or injured is a chance for me to learn more & pass it on! It's a beautiful life:)

 FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER:  And now Amy is on "Dancing With The Stars" and doing great! That's the kind of guts that brings tears to my eyes.====JACK:  I haven't watched Dancing Withe The Stars, even though Meryl Davis from West Bloomfield is supposed to be on it.  I'll try to see if I can get a re-run of Amy.

 FROM BBC IN ILLINOIS:  Tough to read…I know, but thought you might enjoy the food for thought.  I thoroughly enjoyed The Goldfinch, a crime/art/mystery book that was reviewed very positively by both the New Yorker and NYT.  I don’t like spoilers so did not read the entire reviews until I finished.  Folks say it’s “Dickensian”….In any case, the misfit boys grow into dicey…burdened adults after having many harrowing and difficult experiences.  Boris, the Ukranian voice, is written in a funny accent but his words toward the end got me to think about many things.  His mixed up Bible references are sure to make you smile.  If you don’t mind a long book with some dark undertones, I think you’ll find it a worthy read.  Learn lots of art history and things about refinishing furniture in the process ====JACK:  I'm always on the lookout for a good book, although long remind me too much of college reading assignments.  I especially like turnaround stories, like the mud and the lotus flower...and The Goldfinch, as you describe it.

  FROM MW IN ILLINOIS:  I too think it's inspiring to watch them.  Reminds me of my grade school days, there was a boy in my class who was born with deformed.  legs that had  to be amputated.  He got around  by sitting on a square  board with wheels, & he used two chalk  board erasers    to push himself around. Occasionally he would entertain us by getting around the room  just using his hands & doing crazy tricks. Often wondered where he is now.====JACK:  I wonder where Joe is?  I also wonder about Max.  The last I heard, he was in prison.  Life is made up up of memories. 

No comments: