Friday, February 07, 2014

Jack’s Winning Words 2/7/14
“There comes a time when you have to choose between turning the page and closing the book.”  (Josh Jameson)  Sometimes “closure” is difficult.  Perhaps a disappointment in life…a family matter, a job change, a death…How do you bring closure, or as in The Field of Dreams, how do you “ease the pain?”  Every book has an ending…to be remembered or to be forgotten.  In fact, there’s a library out there.    ;-)  Jack

 FROM MK IN MICHIGAN:  Beautiful way to look at life. Thank you, I needed that this morning. ====JACK:  Some people need a cup of coffee to begin the day.  I start off the morning by sending out my Winning Words, like the sower sowing the seeds.

 FROM MICHIZONA RAY:  Temporality is probably one of our most regular and daily challenges. Things we don't like, seem to last longer than we would prefer; and that which we do like, seems to end too soon. There is a season for all things, and all things a season...as it is written. Everyone and everything born owes a death, and just as in yesterday's WW theme, "acceptance" brings me some peace with its understanding -- even though I experience difficulty with accepting the timing. In the end, what value is a "legacy" to the dead? Is it simply a wish to exist in a library or memory beyond one's own season? There is always something of greater significance happening in the world than the entries of my life chapters. Someone is having heart surgery today, there is a funeral, a baby born, a decision to start something significant, and a decision to surrender.a wish for control of something beyond one's capacity, and more...so, we have eternity where the the book is always open!====JACK:  Is "temporality" a word of your creation?  If so, it's a good one.  It reminds me of the Ecclesiastes message that there is a time (and an end) for everything.  One morning, when my mother-in-law was in a nursing home, she was told that her room partner had died during the night.  Her response was, "Here today, gone tomorrow."  That's reality...like it, or not.

 FROM TRIHARDER:  Yes!  There is a book that continues and continues and I should be finishing.  ... But, that another story (so to speak) ====JACK:  It's sad when someone who holds 'em doesn't know when to fold 'em.  I hope that I know when to fold 'em...and not have to have someone tell me.  We don't know what the future holds.  My step-father used to pass out a card to people which read...“FORGET ABOUT YESTERDAY, PLAN A LITTLE BIT FOR TOMORROW, AND LIVE LIKE HELL TODAY.”

 FROM TL IN HOUSTON:  Jack, on this, my last day at my current job position, and the beginning of a new position within the company tomorrow, I give glory to the Father God Almighty who speaks through you.====JACK:  I looked about a job change as a calling.  There's a hymn which begins, "God calling, Yet shall I not hear...?"  Best wishes as you answer "His" call.

 FROM TARMART REV:  . . . in some respect we are closing the door today on this week's postings with Jack's Winning Words . . . if you are like me with sermons preached, posting posted and articles read and worth keeping, the library (or archives as I call it) becomes a great resource center for another opportunity to build upon and share from what was formerly presented. It has been good for me to never lock that door. ====JACK:  I'm already planning next week's WWs.  If you're like me, when one door closes, I look for another one to open, hoping to experience something exciting.====REV:  True as well...I've had my share as well, even wondering if there might be one or more in store before I leave Planet Earth!====JACK:  Speaking of leaving Planet Earth, have you ever sung this song?
This world is not my home I'm just a passing through
My treasures are laid up somewhere beyond the blue
The angels beckon me from heaven's open door
And I can't feel at home in this world anymore
Oh Lord you know I have no friend like you
If heaven's not my home then Lord what will I do
The angels beckon me from heaven's open door
And I can't feel at home in this world anymore

 FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER:  Sometimes, when you close a book, a door opens.===JACK:  You've been reading the Yogi "Quote Book" again.

MILTON BERLE:   "If opportunity doesn’t knock, build a door"

 FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  A few of our doors won't open...they're frozen shut. However, I know what's behind them....it's always interesting to look behind locked  doors...sometimes it's fun and sometimes it's downright scary.====JACK:  Did you know???  Half moon and star cutouts in outhouse doors are mainly used in lighting the outhouse itself. This however dates back to Colonial age whereas not all individuals are capable of reading. The half moon cutout was intended mainly for women while the star cutout is for male.====JUDY:  Yep, it's in one of my Outhouse Books. The holes for the moon and the star also let out some of the odor.  They usually faced the outhouses toward the winds.  Aren't you glad we don't have to use those outhouses now?  There is a program on now about Alaska.  Most Alaskans use outhouses!

 FROM CWR:  You return to Michigan..............====JACK:  Is that turning the page, or closing the book?

 FROM SHARIN' SHARON:  My great dilemma is whether to not close the book because if I do it too soon and without having achieved any understanding, I may be doomed to repeat a chapter and thereby suffer greatly once again from my mistakes. It kind of all depends whether the past stays in the past or whether it keeps coming up to haunt oneself.====JACK:  Sometimes it means putting a bookmark in the place and coming back to that page when you're up to continuing.  Time can be a healer.















































2 comments:

Ray Gage said...

Temporality is probably one of our most regular and daily challenges. Things we don't like, seem to last longer than we would prefer; and that which we do like, seems to end too soon. There is a season for all things, and all things a season...as it is written. Everyone and everything born owes a death, and just as in yesterday's WW theme, "acceptance" brings me some peace with its understanding -- eventhough I experience difficulty with accepting the timing. In the end, what value is a "legacy" to the dead? Is it simply a wish to exist in a library or memory beyond one's own season? There is always something of greater significance happening in the world than the entries of my life chapters. Someone is having heart surgery today, there is a funeral, a baby born, a decision to start something significant, and a decision to surrender.a wish for control of something beyond one's capacity, and more...so, we have eternity where the the book is always open!

Anonymous said...

My great dilemma is whether to not close the book because if I do it too soon and without having achieved any understanding, I may be doomed to repeat a chapter and thereby suffer greatly once again from my mistakes. It kind of all depends whether the past stays in the past or whether it keeps coming up to haunt oneself.
S.H. in MI