Thursday, February 20, 2014

Jack’s Winning Words 2/20/14
“I haven’t had a TV in 10 years.  It’s more fun to be with people than with a TV.”  (Chuck Palahniuk)  Author Paula-nik is 52 today.  I remember coming across some of his stuff a few years ago and wondering, “Who is this guy?”  His story is far more interesting than a television show.  But, isn’t that the way it is when you get to know people?  Think of some of the ones who are more important to you than a big screen TV.    ;-)  Jack

 FROM TS IN INDIANA:  Isn't this the truth.  Sue and I have gotten into a routine of leaving home in the morning and going to a local Panera for a coffee.   This usually involves a little walk as well.   What interesting people we have met there, and developed some good friendships - and learned a lot about the area.   The TV normally doesn't come on until late in the day, and hopefully not more than an hour or two. ====JACK:  I first remember going to "Panera" when it was called, St. Louis Bread.  I suppose your TV time includes Judge Judy and Wheel of Fortune..

 FROM TARMART REV:  Back in the late 70's I was asked by the Senior Pastor to fill in for him on his daily 5-minute telecast, "Good Morning Springfield" which came during a cut-away from "Good Morning America!" . . . I remember seeing myself bigger than life right up front in the TV screen . . . looked like the professional wrestler at that time, 300 pound, "Haystack Calhoun!" . . . I was standing on the same spot where our senior pastor stood, while being taped for the telecast each weekday . . . being quite larger than he was, it wasn't a good idea . . . needed to be moved back . . . next time I was taped sitting behind a desk. ====JACK:  Maybe that was the day Chuck Palahniuk decided to no longer watch TV.

 FROM GOOD DEBT JON:  Yes, I could go a long time without FNC, MSNBC, CNN, etc. I do enjoy, Shark Tank, and The Good Wife on network TV, loathe most sports on TV (I do watch some football). Often being with people is enjoyable, but reading, writing, and studying or creating something useful is far more fulfilling for me than TV.====JACK:  Most of us are not comfortable with extremes, whether it's watching TV or listening to politicians.

 FROM RI IN BOSTON:  Offhand, just about anyone I know is more interesting than what comes out of the TV.  "Boob Tube" describes it well.  The medium is simply a means of pounding us with advertising.  In England people pay a monthly fee and get TV that's void of commercials.  In our country we pay monthly for cable TV, and yet we willingly watch and listen to all sorts of commercials...like dummies we accept that.  My favorite features on TV are the ones where someone at an upstairs window throws their TV to the paving below.  Bravo!====JACK:  You and Chuck must enjoy one another's company...while the rest of us are watching Honey Boo Boo.

 FROM MOLINER JT:  Pastor Dan still,at 42, doesn't have a TV. He does "peek" at ours from time to time. ====JACK:  How does he do with the 10 Commandments?

 FROM BLAZING OAKS:  I DON'T WATCH TV ALL DAY, BUT I'D HATE TO BE WITHOUT IT...LOVE TO WATCH THE BALLGAMES, GAME SHOWS (JEOPARDY, WHEEL OF FORTUNE) OLD MOVIES AT TIMES AND RIGHT NOW THE OLYMPICS. LOVE TO READ, WHICH I OFTEN DO DURING COMMERCIAL BREAKS, PUTTING ON THE "MUTE" BUTTON..ALSO GET WEATHER ALERTS!  RIGHT NOW ITS A TORNADO "WATCH"...:-(  I THINK MOST OF US GET OUT AND ABOUT DAILY, AND TALK TO PLENTY OF  PEOPLE WITHOUT GIVING  UP ALL TV. AS MUCH AS I READ, I'M NOT FAMILIAR WITH THIS AUTHOR!  MY FRIEND DIANE JOHNSON HAS A RECENT  BOOK PUBLISHED "FLYOVER LIVES". SHE'S FROM THE QUAD CITIES  CK HER OUT!====JACK:  As my mother-in-law used to say, "All things in moderation."  You check out Chuck, and I'll check out Diane.

 FROM SBP IN FLORIDA:  Thoughts" The promise of TV has been disappointing in many ways. But... it does bring us the Olympics, PBS offerings, weather forecasts and alerts, FOOTBALL, as well as Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy!  And when I think of what life could/would be for the elderly, lonely, homebound, etc.....it's a gift.  As for Chuck Palahnuik, I Googled him, and as a result I wonder why after reading one of his books , anyone would read more.====JACK:  But, you have to admit that having a face to face interesting conversation is better than any TV show.  BTW, don't be too hard on Chuck.  Read about his early life.  "We are who we were."  A selection of his Brainy Quotes bears this out, too.====SBP:  In its recent issue, Mental Floss has listed 16 people who tried and tried again....including Bill Gates, Rudyard Kipling, and Oprah Winfrey......A lot of surprises and I am sure there are more.  And I Googled Chuck Palahnuick Quotes (at several websites) and, in them, for me, there's depth and poignancy and some that leave me feeling unsettled. Thank you, once again, for thought provoking WWs and for sharing the responses. Good conversation even though its not face to face.



1 comment:

SBP said...

Thoughts" The promise of TV has been disappointing in many ways. But... it does bring us the Olympics, PBS offerings, weather forecasts and alerts, FOOTBALL, as well as Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy!
And when I think of what life could/would be for the elderly, lonely, homebound, etc.....it's a gift.
As for Chuck Palahnuik, I Googled him, and as a result I wonder why after reading one of his books , anyone would read more.