Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Jack’s Winning Words 2/19/14
“We work to make our good better and our better best.”  (Team Slogan)  I saw these words on a sweatshirt in church on Sunday.  After the service the girl told me they were the slogan for her 8th Grade volleyball team.  It’s a good slogan for any organization, a church, a business—even for us, personally.  Success is a step by step process.  That volleyball slogan can be a “life” inspiration.  Why not post it by your desk?    ;-)  Jack

  FROM MICHIZONA RAY:  It seems that the slogan fits the process of the open-eyed life doesn't it? Whether it be volleyball, one in a 12-step program, or the experience(s) of repentance. We "strive" more for the "perfect" more than we achieve it. Even if I know I will never achieve perfection, it is worthy of keeping my eye on it. ====JACK:  The pursuit for perfection sometimes reminds me of the myth of Sisyphus.  Even the best of teams suffer losses...but, then, rise up and begin their quest again.

 FROM TARMART REV:  That would be a better idea than I had this morning, the best yet!!====JACK:  How would you rate the Target popcorn, compared to others that you have tasted?  Good, better or best? ====REV:  Target has a policy of popping their corn every 20 minutes or so . . . usually very fresh and often still hot  . . . haven't found any lately I like better . . . theater corn is often too salty for me . . . we have a gas station/car wash/oil change business all-in-one with a large popcorn machine inside that says, "help yourself" . . . it has been a successful trademark of theirs for many years . . . I enjoy "helping myself" often when patronizing them.====JACK: Since you're a "regular," does Target give you a special rate...or free refills?

 FROM RI IN BOSTON:  Some sweatshirts and tees I've seen, with the slogans imprinted on them, should be burned.  The one you tell about is a "keeper".  Inspiration can come from unexpected sources. ====JACK:  I like it when teens aren't embarrassed to express what they believe in...whether I agree with it, or not.  It's called, Free Speech.====RI:  That's right.  It's also reassuring to see examples of dedicated teens with positive attitudes, in contrast to so many reports we see about angry and destructive young people.

 FROM BLAZING OAKS:  These WW brought back a little saying from grade school days we had to memorize! "Good, Better, Best, never let it rest, until your Good is Better and your Better, Best!'  Hadn't thought of that in years!  That's a lifetime goal, for sure. There is always room for improvement, isn't there? The bright sun and warmer temps make for positivity weather-wise!====JACK:  Mary and I received a breadboard for a wedding present.  Painted on it were the words, "Grow old along with me. The best is yet to be."  ...not good or better, but best.

 FROM SB IN MICHIGAN:  Your “Winning Words” for today reminded me of a slogan that my mother taught me when I was a youngster: “Good, better, best – never let it rest until your good is better and your better is best.” Not sure whom she was quoting, but it’s a memorable slogan.====JACK:  You're the 2nd one who has mentioned the words your mother taught you.  Isn't it interesting how the mind works...able to recall things learned as a child?

 FROM SBP IN FLORIDA:  The last of life for which the first was made  Our times are in His hand  Who saith, "A whole I planned. Youth shows but half: trust God: see all, nor be afraid."  Rabbi Ben Ezra.....(Robert Browning)  ....and many more verses follow....but I've loved this one a looooong time. And like "Good, Better, Best"....WW continually stirs recall as well as research.Thank you.====JACK:  Browning makes you think!  His poetry is not doggerel.

 FROM PH IN MESA:  as a kid I learned this poem:  good, better, best.  never let it rest!  make your good better, and your better best!====JACK:  You're the 3rd "old-timer" who's indicated that the memory bank is still in operation.

 FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER:  If you are happy, you are successful.====JACK:  Looking back....Were you successful in your business?====PFC:  Was very happy. We did great work and our clients were loyal. There were 15 of us and we all were pals. Still see several of the on a regular basis. Successful? I'd say so.






2 comments:

Ray Gage said...

It seems that the slogan fits the process of the open-eyed life doesn't it? Whether it be volleyball, one in a 12-step program, or the experience(s) of repentance. We "strive" more for the "perfect" more than we achieve it. Even if I know I will never achieve perfection, it is worthy of keeping my eye on it.

SBP said...

The last of life for which the first was made.
Our times are in His hand
Who saith, "A whole I planned.
Youth shows but half: trust God: see all, nor be afraid."

Rabbi Ben Ezra.....Robert Browning

....and many more verses follow....but I've loved this one a looooong time. And like "Good, Better, Best"....WW continually stirs recall as well as research.Thank you.