Monday, February 17, 2014

Jack’s Winning Words 2/17/14
“Great lives never go out; they go on.”  (William Henry Harrison)  Harrison’s presidency lasted only a month, but he is still among those honored today on President’s Day.  Lincoln usually comes out on top as the “best” president, with Washington as next.  But all presidents generally have some really good qualities.  Do you have any favorites beyond the Top Two?  Of those I’ve known, I like the one I first voted for.    ;-)  Jack

  FROM GOOD DEBT JON:  I think it was Dr. Stephen Covey that said, "Live, Love, Leave a Legacy."  I say, no one of these is less important, though at first glance it seems legacy would be the hard one. When we invest in the lives of others, we have a chance to send messengers into a time we will not see. That is legacy for common folks, a president or billionaire may leave a legacy, but is such a legacy from life and love, or of simply infamy or wealth? I suppose each has its enduring qualities. The legacy of Mr. A.C. Bennett that was my father figure is one that stands out for me, he was neither rich or famous, but changed my life forever. For every famous saying of Lincoln, I can quote one from Mr. Bennett.====JACK:  Your response caused me to think of the word, muse...a source of inspiration, a personal guide.  ACB seems to have been a muse for you.====JON:  You may be right, though I usually think of muse as coming from internal sources, I suppose I have internalized much of what ACB taught me.====JACK:  A dictionary is a great help in understanding more about words than we think we know.

 FROM TS IN INDIANA:   Now you've got s all wondering.   You are implying that you voted for either Washington or Lincoln, but I know better.  Was it Kennedy (my first) or Eisenhower?  Calvin Coolidge seems to be re-surfacing also.   I'm hoping to read more on him, but right now I think he could be high on my list.====JACK:  "Give 'em hell, Harry!"

 FROM HONEST JOHN:  In my time I have liked Truman, Ike, Ford and Clinton the best.   They ave one thing in common....pragmatic in their ways....not hung up on an ideological path.====JACK:  Some of my favorites didn't win...Adlai Stevenson and Hubert Humphrey.====JOHN:  I could never have voted for Stevenson he was too hung up on his ideology he thought we should practice universal disarmament and unilateral disarmament.====JACK:  I voted for him because he wasn't ashamed to wear shoes showing a hole in one.  I could identify with that, because I, too, had shoes like that.

 FROM HAWKEYE GEORGE:  Eisenhower?====JACK:  Nope!  As you might have guessed...I was on the losing side those times.

 FROM RS IN TEXAS:  Speaking of great lives that went on (and good stories about them), there's what should be a great movie (if it's as good as the book) coming out this Christmas - Unbroken.  Here's a link to a sneak peek on Yahoo - http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-news/first-look-angelina-jolie-unbroken-full-patriotic-feels-014401724.html.====JACK:  Thanks for the heads up on what promises to be a "Winning Words" film.  Zapperini's quote: "Never give up, no matter what."  Truly, a great life story.

 FROM SNOWBIRD AA:  so you voted for Lincoln!====JACK:  I would have.

 FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  reagan!!!====JACK:  Did you know that he was once the President of the Screen Actors' Guild (union)?  He was also a baseball announcer on a station that reached the Tri-Cities (before they were known as known as the Quad-Cities and also the Quint-Cities).====LIZ:  he also was a democrat, originally.====JACK:  Some people say that they vote for the candidate, not the party.

 FROM BLAZING OAKS:  I came to admire Truman after he left office. His bios and other things I've read about him, show a courageous and also "down-home" guy of great integrity! Carter has continued  to make his life count for others; He was an "outsider" in the White House, and had no cooperation, poor guy! Like you say, probably all presidents have some good qualities...the job certainly ages anyone who takes it on!! Happy President's day (sleet and snow here...) and God Bless and protect Them!!====JACK:  I chose a quote from a rather obscure President, because I thought that I should get to know more about him.  Neil Johnson (MHS and Augie - Did you know him?) went on to become an historian at the Truman Museum.  He also dressed as Truman and gave talks to groups, as though Truman were speaking.

 FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  So you actually voted for Lincoln...LOL.  I liked Theodore Roosevelt after Lincoln and Washington.  All of those early Presidents faced so much hard-ship.  I believe all of our presidents have had heartaches and headaches while in office.  We thank God for them today!====JACK:  I wonder if the outhouses at the White House were painted white?  I think that Teddy Roosevelt was the first President to have indoor plumbing at the White House.====JUDY:  It would be interesting to find out.  When I have some time, I will commence to find out and let you know.  I'm glad Teddy had indoor plumbing!

 FROM DC IN KANSAS:  How about their wives?  Yesterday we had a presentation by Richard Norton Smith on "First Ladies."  Tonight he is going to talk about Mary Lincoln.  This is an interesting slant on history.  Martha Washington?  Woodrow Wilson's wife? etc.====JACK:  My vote for best 1st Lady is Eleanor Roosevelt.  Who will be the 1st Gentleman?

 FROM CK IN MICHIGAN:  Jack did you vote for Washington?====JACK:  Was he a Democrat?

 FROM SBP IN FLORIDA:  What happened to FDR a well as Truman? My folks were very appreciative of the positive occurrences during the FDR administration.====JACK:  When the FDR dime first came out, someone handed me one and, asked, "Does this smell rotten to you."  Some things never change.  It's a blessing that we live in a democracy.

 FROM TARMART REV:  In my life time, I enjoyed the personality and presidential professionalism of Reagan...Nixon commanded my attention as he spoke up to the time of Watergate...Truman and Eisenhower were the fist two presidents that I can recall.====JACK:  Do you ever talk politics while eating popcorn with your "customers?"

 FROM FM IN WISCONSIN:  Truman for me too, and the first Bush and Ford.====JACK:  It's almost unbelievable how Wisconsin has been transformed from the Progressive State that it once was.












1 comment:

SBP said...

What happened to FDR a well as Truman? My folks were very appreciative to the positive occurences during the FDR administration.