Thursday, October 24, 2013

Jack’s Winning Words 10/24/13
“Flaming enthusiasm, backed up by horse sense and persistence, is the quality that most frequently makes for success.”  (Dale Carnegie)  One of the books that started me to be a positive thinker was Carnegie’s: “How To Win Friends…”  Maybe you’ve read it. In today’s quote, I like his use of the words, horse sense and enthusiasm.  Enthusiasm means to be inspired by God.  Do you know what horse sense means?    ;-)  Jack

 FROM HONEST JOHN:  Define it.   I think it is a term like " common sense". That means what the speaker wants it to mean...usually that the speaker is right even tho he doesn't know much about the subject. ====JACK:  I thought I knew the meaning, until I looked up the derivation.  It goes back to the days when horses were more important to daily life than they are now.  Someone with horse sense was someone who had knowledge about horses.  And since horses were "common" at that time, the person with horse sense was that one who had a good sense of things common and basic.

 FROM RI IN BOSTON:  My father used the term "horse sense" frequently during my youth.  Another of his comments when I'd attempt something without really thinking about it was "use your head."  Apparently the two quotes suggest thinking through any situation in which we find ourselves, before we proceed.  I've never given any thought to the idea of "horse sense" but I suppose it's a reference to a horse's self-guidance to know its way home...stories were told of horses finding the way home by their instincts, even when the rider or buggy driver fell asleep.====JACK:  Many terms, familiar in the past, need to be translated into the present day idiom.  My grandson installed a new modem for my computer yesterday.  He knows more about computers than he does about horses.  The head on his shoulders is filled with knowledge different from that which is in mine. Your father's advice to "use your head" is good for each generation.

 FROM TARMART REV:  I was thinking of all the wisdom we learned from "Hee Haw!" . . . but that was a jackass wearing a hat, I believe!? 0;-/====JACK:  This should bring a lot of laughs in Willmar...     CATHY BAKER:  I'd marry a doctor so I could stay well for nothing.      LULU ROMAN:  I'd marry a grocer so I could eat for nothing..      SUSAN RAYE:  I'd marry a preacher so I could be good for nothing.====REV:  When people often say, "Be good!" . . . I often reply, "I get paid to!!"

 FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER:  "Horse Sense" is derived from an episode of the Lone Ranger, where Tonto told him he didn't have as much sense as Silver. It seems that he was trying to cross the river on horseback and his boots filled with water, almost drowning horse and rider.====JACK:  When I first came to Michigan, I went to a small cafe, and there were only two of us.  We began chatting, and I found out that he was Clayton Moore, the actor who played the Lone Ranger.  Jay Silverheels was out in the parking lot with the horses.

 FROM BLAZING OAKS:  My father-in-law took Dale Carnegie's course on "How To Win Friends, and Influence People".  He only had an 8th grade education, but did have "horse sense", and continued to learn well into adulthood. He served as President of the School Board, and Rotary, was the  big Kehunah in Shriners, and CEO of his Construction business  Quite amazing for a simple "farm kid" !   Carnegie influenced a LOT of people!  Enthusiasm is a MUST for any successful endeavor!  Good quote today! ====JACK:  I was reading an article this week about business schools that grant MBAs.  One of the best qualities of a successful business(person) is the ability to meet and influence people...as Carnegie taught.

No comments: