Monday, October 21, 2013

Jack’s Winning Words 10/21/13
“For my part I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of the stars makes me dream.”  (Vincent van Gogh)  One of my favorite jigsaw puzzles is of Vincent’s “Starry Night.”  I read that he did this painting while being treated for mental illness.  He wrote to his brother: “I have a tremendous need for a religion, so I go outside at night to paint the stars.”  What is it that you do in your search for religion?  I like to think.    ;-)  Jack

 FROM TARMART REV:  I like to think of myself continually knocking on God's Door, asking and receiving more of what He has in store for me to receive and understand about Him. Not disappointed yet!! ====JACK:  Sitting patiently at Target and Walmart, waiting for God to open a door is one way to "do" religion.  It may not be for everybody, but it seems to work for you.

 FROM MICHIZONA RAY:  I would say that I "like" to write; but it seems that I almost "have" to write. Writing helps me to organize all the thoughts that run through my head in so many different directions -- especially when I dream.====JACK:  When you've got an itch, you scratch it.  When something's "bugging" you...it seems that writing is like scratching.

 FROM RI IN BOSTON:  I'm with Vincent when it comes to understanding the Creator of this universe...there are so many questions to be answered.  It's typical for us to concentrate on our Earth, surrounded by a lot of space.  However, that "space" is infinite, and it's sprinkled with other planets...so why?  Was it specifically intended to provide a stellar view for us to ponder and dream about, rather than shroud us at night with a simple black backdrop?  Life has presented so many instances when I think to myself, "How did something as amazing as this originate?"  I have "religion" but it's difficult for me to explain it persuasively to anyone.  As Tennyson said, "I hope to see my pilot face to face, when I have crossed the bar," and I expect I'll finally get some answers.====JACK:  I like how Handel used his talent to put Isaiah 40:5 to music..."And the glory of the LORD will be revealed, and all mankind together will see it. For the mouth of the LORD has spoken."  We are all artists.  It reminds me of a child who was scribbling on a piece of paper.  "What are you doing?" his mother asked.  "I'm drawing a picture of God." he replied  "But no one knows what God looks like." the mother said.  "They will when I get done," he answered.  Michelangelo was trying to do the same thing.  ====RI:  Your reference about Michelangelo, revealing the glory of the Lord, reminded me of an issue of The Lutheran some years back, that showed a section of the Sistine Chapel ceiling on its cover that month.  The area depicted was of God reaching out finger-to-finger with Adam, infusing life into the man created.  The Adam figure painted by Michelangelo is, as commonly known, naked, and it was clearly exasperating to one reader from Minnesota whose letter to the editor was published the following month.  "What do you think you're doing, publishing such obscenity...cancel my subscription!"

 FROM HS IN ILLINOIS:  Jack, we have a beautiful print of "Starry Night" in our bedroom.  We share your love of that.====JACK:  I like the words of the Psalmist...."When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained;  What is man, that thou art mindful of him?" (Psalm 8:3,4)  In my opinion, Starry Night is a painting that was inspired.

 FROM BLAZING OAKS:  Mostly, I read; which also causes you to think, guess.Van Gogh was so talented, but also so tormented in his personal life. Amazing so much beauty can come out of suffering, which seems to be the case with many of our productive, talented people. My husband and daughter often did difficult jigsaw puzzles, some of which I have preserved and framed. (Starry night would be a real challenge!)  Whoever got it down to the"finish" left the last piece for the other to put into place. it was a little family heritage. Sweet!====JACK:  I pulled Starry Night out of the stack and intend to tackle it again one of these days.  500 pieces is what I like.  I enjoy looking at the finished product.

 FROM SHARIN' SHARON:  I read, Bible, what religious people write, I also try to understand plants. Have read a book titled "What Your Plant Knows" and now am taking a correspondence class over the internet from the man who wrote that book. He is a professor at Tel Aviv University. I believe in some way plants and animals and all of creation know God and they have a thing or two to say too....Isn't it interesting that Jesus was crucified on a plant --wooden cross--and our paper that the Bible is written on and parchment and books are on plants but I guess the stream is broken if we all start reading kindle all the time. Just won't be the same, plants mean the most to me.====JACK:  I've thought about how vegans won't eat meat or dairy products.  I suppose, if we studied hard enough and long enough we'd find that plants have life similar to the cows, pigs, lambs and humans, just on a different plane.  I seem to remember that someone wrote a poem (story) about how the wooden cross felt about being chosen for the crucifixion of Jesus.

 FROM HAWKEYE GEORGE:  It's daily prayer and Bible reading first thing in the morn. Helped me innumerable times - just when I thought there was no way out, God intervened. What's so strange that many times I'm surprised. What about you?====JACK:  While I've done Bible reading and prayer similar to your regimen, I have evening prayers and do selective Bible reading (not front to back).  I find inspiration in my daily contacts with people, face to face and on the internet.  When I sit back and reflect on these experiences, I see the presence of God.  Brother Lawrence wrote "The Practice of the Presence of God," explaining how he came close to God while washing dishes in the kitchen.

 FROM WRITER JUDY:  I like to make cards (greeting cards, thank you, birthday .. for any/every reason cards) and help others – that’s what I do for my search for religion.====JACK:  I think that what you do is a sign of neighborliness, and Jesus encouraged us to show love and concern for our neighbors.====JUDY:  I think sending the WW each day is the way you find religion …. It is so meaningful for my husband and me.

 FROM SBP IN FLORIDA:  I "search" as I live and breathe......Finding religion, for me, comes through seeing, hearing, feeling, smelling, tasting, reading...cogitating and marvelling...====JACK:  It's been a long time since I've heard the expression, As I live and breathe."  Do you remember hearing it?  It seems as though you are finding "religion" as you do that very thing.  Keep it up!  Sometimes we make religion too complex...in my opinion.

 FROM STARRI KNIGHT:  I love  this  one  Jack!! ====JACK:  Did you choose your "nickname" because of Van Gogh's painting?

 FROM MOLINER JT:  I like to Pray.====JACK:  Back in the 19th Century James Montgomery wrote: Prayer is the soul’s sincere desire,  Unuttered or expressed;  
The motion of a hidden fire  That trembles in the breast.
You can Google the rest of the poem which has been put to music in many church hymnals.

4 comments:

Ray Gage said...

I would say that I "like" to write; but it seems that I almost "have" to write. Writing helps me to organize all the thoughts that run through my head in so many different directions -- especially when I dream.

Anonymous said...

I read, Bible, what religious people write, I also try to understand plants. Have read a book titled "What Your Plant Knows" and now am taking a correspondence class over the internet from the man who wrote that book. He is a professor at Tel Aviv University. I believe in some way plants and animals and all of creation know God and they have a thing or two to say too.
S.H. in MI

Anonymous said...

Isn't it interesting that Jesus was crucified on a plant --wooden cross--and our paper that the Bible is written on and parchment and books are on plants but I guess the stream is broken if we all start reading kindle all the time. Just won't be the same, plants mean the most to me.
S.H. in MI

SBP said...

I "search" as I live and breathe......Finding religion, for me, comes through seeing, hearing, feeling, smelling, tasting, reading...cogitating and marvelling...