Friday, October 18, 2013

Jack’s Winning Words 10/18/13
“I have learned to use the word impossible with the greatest caution.”  (Wernher von Braun)  Even bigger than the Human Genome Project is a proposal to find out how the brain works, to understand why we act as we act and to discover the source of diseases.  Impossible?  I’ve lived long enough to see impossibilities become possible.  We live in some exciting times.  Everything doesn’t have to be doom and gloom.    ;-)  Jack

 FROM IKE AT THE MIC:  On that theme,Dennis Prager radio host on 1400AM daily from 1PM-3PM many times promotes: "If your life is not horrific, it's terrific."====JACK:  I'm having a terrific day...so far.

 FROM TARMART REV:  You and I have discovered a Book compiled from written parchments and many authors over a period of hundreds of years that gives us insight about that brain of ours and why we think like we do, plus gives us a blessed hope that the best is yet to come for those that follow its direction...hundreds of millions of folk have died believing it...the greatest Book ever written or the unparalleled hoax ever produced!!====JACK:  It sounds as though you know the song,  "The B-I-B-L-E, that's good enough for me!"

 FROM PH IN MINNESOTA: be of good cheer, says Jesus, for i have overcome the world... ====JACK:  Maybe you're on to something....a new group within the Church called, "Cheerleaders for God."  Here's a cheer for you.....
There's not enough to say,
There's not enough to do.
So we're gonna beat the badness out of you!  ...followed by the fight song:
Onward, Christian soldiers!
====PH:  so stand up, sit down, fight, fight, fight!====JACK:  Stand up...Sit down...It sounds like the Lutheran liturgy.  Fight, fight, fight...It sounds like discussing some Church social resolutions.

 FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER:  Old Marine motto, "The difficult, we do today. The impossible takes a little longer."====JACK:  Do you know this last verse of  The Marine's Hymn?
 Here's health to you and to our Corps
Which we are proud to serve;
In many a strife we've fought for life
And never lost our nerve.
If the Army and the Navy
Ever look on Heaven's scenes,
They will find the streets are guarded
By United States Marines.
(sing it now)
====PFC:  I once had an Army friend who thought he was superior, " I almost joined the Army and then the thought came to me that I would always wonder if I were good enough for the Marines." Yes, I know that verse, but most vividly the streets of heaven part.====JACK:  In Moline, we used to get our milk from Peerless Dairy.  The father of the Wisdom girls delivered milk for the Superior Dairy.  I told Beverly and Bonnie that our milk was better than theirs.  Their dad told them to have me look up the word, superior.

 FROM RI IN BOSTON:  Large flocks of birds fly together and get where they want to go without bumping or tangling wings...dense schools of fish swim close together in sync without blocking or disrupting others.  Humans would find there is so much good that's "possible" in the world if only we would work together. ====JACK:  I'm reminded of the song, "The more we get together, the happier we'll be....For your friends are my friends, and my friends are your friends."

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  Joni loves the word IMPOSSIBLE! :-)   When I read Nick Vujicic's books, and see his videos, the word impossible takes on new meaning: born with no arms or legs, but how he's made his life count, and what he has been able to do, is nothing short of incredible! All Glory ot God!! ====JACK:  When I "see" their stories, I wonder how they can do it....which means, I don't know if I could.  Life, for each of us, is a daily adaptation.

 FROM AJ IN MICHIGAN:  Love this, Jack. It is so simple but so true.====JACK:  We like it when someone has the knack of making the  complex, simple.  A baby, born in Bethlehem, became God in human form.  The unknowable became knowable. 

 FROM SBP IN FLORIDA:  ---The last two decades of the 19th Century and well into the 20th Century must have been mind boggling.....electricity, automobiles, airplanes, the Ferris wheel, medicine, engineering and construction advancements........and , of late,the Voyager 1 breaking into outer space after 33 years, the
F22,Hoover Dam Span....technological advancements growing at a dizzying pace...Thinking what the world has the potential to become does generate concern as well as excitement. But it's fun and challenging .....even as I'm among those at the tail end of the marathon., What are God's plans? What comforts me is that the baby born in Bethlehem developed the same way as a baby born today. ====JACK:  Winning Words is also posted on an internet local "newspaper" called Patch.  Here it's called, West Bloomfield Patch.  There's a Tampa Patch, too.  Each day I'm asked to title WWs.  Today I called it, "Everything doesn't have to be doom and gloom!"  Your response shows that you got "the drift."  The only patch Moline has is the Dis-patch.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We're back here in Iowa visiting my mother-in-law and helping her celebrate her 94th birthday. If I hear any more times about the fact that she misses most having her kids to be able to get things she needs, I'll burst a gasket, but while being here we've met a woman whose son is a Lutheran Pastor and wrote a book "For the Faint of Heart: Hope for the Hurting" and loaned the book to my mother-in-law and I've been reading it here too and flowers were just delivered to her by one of the neighbors because they went to the wrong address, from one of her sons who lives at a distance and, in the midst of all of this very nice community, I know that my mother-in-law is being held very warmly and faithfully in God's Arms and there is nothing IMPOSSIBLE about life here for any of us wherever we are located. No worries anymore.

SBP said...

---The last two decades of the 19th Century and well into the 20th Century must have been mind boggling.....electricity, automobiles, airplanes, the Ferris wheel, medicine, engineering and construction advancements........and , of late,the Voyager 1 breaking into outer space after 33 years, the
F22,Hoover Dam Span....technological advancements growing at a dizzying pace...Thinking what the world has the potential to become does generate concern as well as excitement. But it's fun and challenging .....even as I'm among those at the tail end of the marathon., What are God's plans? What comforts me is that the baby born in Bethlehem developed the same way as a baby born today.