Friday, August 16, 2013

Jack’s Winning Words 8/16/13
“If you tickle the earth with a hoe, she laughs with a harvest.”  (Douglas Jerrold)  We are trying to grow grass in some bare spots in our yard.  The ground was raked.  Some Patchmaster was put down.  Each day we’ve been watering the places, and, like magic, the grass has appeared.  Of course it isn’t magic.  It’s another of those God-miracles that we take for granted…like the fruits and vegetables at the grocery store.    ;-)  Jack

 FROM HONEST JOHN:  I had a huge garden as a kid...we lived on eleven acres.   My Dad owned the Feed and Seed Store in EM and was very knowledgable about such things...held several patents in that area.   I still love to garden...had a nine foot hybrid tea rose plant this summer.   I get out in the early morning and putz with the flowers...it is as much a spiritual time as anything else.   And I do hoe...my Dad would reach down from heaven and grab me if I didn't stir up the earth a bit.   Tried to "hoe" a bit on Sunday mornings as well.====JACK:  As you garden, you can sing:
Sowing in the morning, sowing seeds of kindness,
"Hoeing" in the noontide and the dewy eve;
Waiting for the harvest, and the time of reaping,
We shall come rejoicing, bringing in the sheaves.
Refrain
Bringing in the sheaves, bringing in the sheaves,
We shall come rejoicing, bringing in the sheaves,
Bringing in the sheaves, bringing in the sheaves,
We shall come rejoicing, bringing in the sheaves,
Your dad would be proud of you as a gardener in more ways than one.====JOHN: My Dad had an old Belgian friend who always used to say "I ha to hoe"....meant "I have to go."    I will never forget her.   There were some really interesting people in EM in the old days.   He also had a customer named "Fred Nocamus"....sound that one out!   Unreal.

 FROM TARMART REV:  A lot of "tickling" has gone on up this way in Minnesota . . . now praying for a little more heat before harvest . . . corn needs to snap, crackle and pop!!====JACK:  Watch out....Too much tickling can cause your back to go, "snap, crackle and pop", and you wind up at the chiropractor.

 FROM JS IN MICHIGAN:  I love this one.  I grew up in the city of Detroit.  We had a small house and a small yard, but my father had a beautiful vegetable garden every summer.  He grew radishes, beets, carrots, peppers, lettuce (so tender), yellow string beans, Italian sweet basil, parsley and of course, tomatoes! I would love when my mother asked me to go to the garden and get some fresh basil and parsley because I knew she was making sauce for a mostaccioli  dinner that evening.  My parents were a gift from God. ====JACK:  Thanks for sharing those beautiful memories.  There are God-miracles beyond those in the garden, and they often include our parents.
O happy home, where each one serves Thee, lowly,
Whatever his appointed work may be,
Till every common task seems great and holy,
When it is done, O Lord, as unto Thee!

 FROM BLAZING OAKS:  Made me smile to read this!  I'm not much of a gardener. I cultivate people who cultivate veggies and fruits, and am the recipient of "goodies" from the  garden. What a blessing!  Patchmaster sounds like a good remedy for bare spots on the lawn...I'll have to try that!  god-miracles abound!====JACK:  When my wife and I were first married, our church custodian had a garden and would often place fresh vegetables on the back porch along with a handwritten note giving instructions about how to cook them.

 FROM MS IN MICHIGAN:  There are two outdoor fruit/vegetable stands within walking distance of my condo.  The Special Blessings of Summer.====JACK:  The farmer's stand by the side of the road in our area have been torn down in order to build a subdivision.  Now, produce has to be bought at the grocery store.

 FROM ANONYMOUS:  The multiplicity of miracles in a humming bird, a blueberry, a breath of air , and a piece of music (and the like) is incomprehensible to me. From whence did these miracles generate? I know.
  


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The multiplicity of miracles in a humming bird, a blueberry, a breath of air , and a piece of music (and the like) is incomprensible to me. From whence did these miracles generate? I know.

Anonymous said...

The multiplicity of miracles in a humming bird, a blueberry, a breath of air , and a piece of music (and the like) is incomprensible to me. From whence did these miracles generate? I know.