Monday, August 12, 2013

Jack’s Winning Words 8/12/13
“The first hour of the morning is the rudder of the day.”  (H. W. Beecher)  Jimmy Durante said, “You gotta start off each day with a song.”  A friend of mine sings a hymn when he gets up.  We all have our routines.  Mark Twain said that you should start off the day by eating a live frog.  After that, nothing else in the day will seem so bad.  A list of suggestions by successful people began, “Don’t check your e-mail.”  Oops!    ;-)  Jack

 FROM SHARIN' SHARON:  Right after I wake up, and right after I pray to God in thanksgiving that I can pray to him again today, always pray that He will give my husband patience and wisdom as he drives again the distance between here and his job, that He will keep my husband safe on the roads. After I've said that prayer, the whole day follows suit. Funny to be living here in Mo-Town and realize how much Detroit--car town--has really become my home.====JACK:  Even though I live in a suburb, I, too, count MoTown  as my town.  You can find good and bad in any place and situation...depending on what you're looking for.

 FROM TARMART REV: And just think . . . you get an extra hour more than me each morning!! ====JACK:  Time zones and Daylight Savings Time are ways in which we try to play tricks with the mind.

 FROM RJP IN NAPLES:  My 85 year old Aunt was a big band vocalist in the 40s thru the 60s and sang with many of the great performers from Bob Hope down and she tells us her favorite was Jimmy Durante..... Kind, gentle, giving and funny. Too bad today's generation does not have a Durante.====JACK:  Here in Detroit we have the famous Madonna, whose 55th birthday is next Friday.====RJP:  Infamous might be another term to apply.====JACK:  I thought about using that word, but I wanted to start off the day by "pulling your chain."====RJP:  And you are sooooo good at it!!!!!!!!!

 FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  i check my email, facebook & the drudge report.====JACK:  We each do the thing that works for us.  One day, when my son was here on a business trip, I happened to see when he opened his e-mail folder...over 300 of them.  I can see why looking at them is not the first thing he does in the morning.

FROM ANONYMOUS:  For many, it appears, WW is another ...rudder of the day.

 FROM EMT SINGS IN MICHIGAN:  I drink a glass of water, take 2 calcium, read the daily mediation from my Daily Guidepost book AND read my email with special interest in Winning Words!====JACK:  I used to listen to an early morning radio show which began with this song..."Roll out of bed in the mornin' with a great big smile and a good, good mornin'.  Get up with a grin, there's a new day a tumblin' in."   Now, I like to listen to hear Dave Wagner (WRCJ) play the "SOUSALARM", a Sousa march each morning at 7:15.

 FROM ME IN NEWPORT BEACH:  I sweep the entire outside-driveway and courtyards.  Sometimes with a song and a chestbeat.====JACK:  Song:  "Hi Ho, Hi Ho, it's off to work I (don't) go."

 FROM BM IN MICHIGAN:  I guess I can picture Mark Twain hitting his head against the wall & being asked why he is doing that.  I assume his response would be that “it feels so good when I stop”====JACK:  Another of his animal quotes that I like is this one:  "A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way."

 FROM MOLINER JT:  A must -- Prayer !!====JACK:  Martin Luther wrote this brief prayer which could be used at the beginning of the day.    "In the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.  Amen.      I thank you, my heavenly Father, through Jesus Christ, Your dear Son, that You have kept me this night from all harm and danger; and I pray that You would keep me this day also from sin and every evil, that all my doings and life may please You.  For into Your hands I commend myself, my body and soul, and all things.  Let Your holy angel be with me, that the evil foe may have no power over me.  Amen"

 FROM BLAZING OAKS:  I love it when I don't have to jump up and hustle to get somewhere first thing.  A nice leisurely  breakfast with the  paper, and devotions....that  is ideal....We who are retired can enjoy some of those !  Like most elderly, I say a prayer of thanks that I CAN get up and "get going!"====JACK:  I still have to jump up and hustle to the computer at 5 am to send out Winning Words.  I don't "have" to, but it's become part of my routine.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Right after I wake up, and right after I pray to God in thanksgiving that I can pray to him again today, always pray that He will give my husband patience and wisdom as he drives again the distance between here and his job, that He will keep my husband safe on the roads. After I've said that prayer, the whole day follows suit. Funny to be living here in Mo-Town and realize how much Detroit--car town--has really become my home.
S.H. in MI

Anonymous said...

For many, it appears, WW is another ...rudder of the day.