Monday, July 01, 2013

Jack's Winning Words 7/1/13 “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.”

Jack’s Winning Words 7/1/13

“Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.”  (Shakespeare)  This quote is from “All’s Well That Ends Well,” and is advice that a mother gives her departing son.  I can’t recall a particular piece of advice that my mom gave me, but I’ll never forget the example of the life she lived.  As the saying goes, “Actions speak louder than words.”  Maybe you’re like me, remembering how a person lived, more than advice that was given.    ;-)  Jack

  FROM SHARIN' SHARON:  At first that phrase "trust a few" bothered me, it seems so cynical, until I reflected a bit of how suddenly a human relationship can seem to go sour but right a way a person remembers that somewhere in the Bible it says 'do not put your trust in mortal man' or something like that and starts praying and turning to trust in God and after a while things happen in the human relationship, change occurs in someone and indeed things do turn out all right--in my experience so far anyway. ====JACK:  Our bank, Comerica Bank, before a series of mergers, was called, Detroit Bank and Trust.  I always liked that name, especially the Trust part.  The financial industry needs to work on recovering the "trust" of the consumer.

FROM JD IN MINNESOTA:  LOVE MANY, TRUST FEW, BUT ALWAYS PADDLE YOUR OWN CANOE. I HEARD THIS YEARS AGO.====JACK:  I like that Bible admonition..." Be wise as serpents!"  ...and the follow up... "and harmless as  doves."  This is advice that Jesus gave to his disciples as he sent them out as "sheep among wolves."  Good advice for a parent to give to a departing child, too.

 FROM RI IN BOSTON:  Those words from "All's Well That Ends Well" strike me as sound advice, valid still in these present days, though not applied enough in our contemporary world.  I wonder if Shakespeare was re-cycling words from his own mother, transferring them to the mother character in his play.  Any advice my mother gave me eludes me now, except I do remember her telling me, "Tuck your shirt in!" ====JACK:  "Tuck your shirt in" reminds me of a piece of advice from my mother..."Keep your nose clean!"====RI:  My mom regularly told me, "Keep your clothes clean."  I had a habit of coming home with grass stains or dirt smudges on my clothes.

 FROM EMT SINGS IN MICHIGAN: You know that I have my own examples--many in fact! ====JACK:  I suppose that means you're still cheering for the Twins...and Joe Mauer is your favorite.

 FROM FACEBBOK LIZ:  your mom "walked the walk." as did mine.====JACK:  Since we didn't have a car during most of my growing up years, we usually walked (or rode a bike) wherever we went.  My mom worked a Monkey Wards (6th av & 15th St) and would walk up the hill and back (18 blocks) to and from our house  3 times a day.  She truly walked the walk, rain and shine and snow.

    FROM BLAZING OAKS:  Bill's mom used to send him out the door with the admonition, "Remember you're an OAKS!" Which seemed to work for him, like, "remember your good name! My mom would often say, "keep your words sweet, you might have to eat them some day"...which was a good reminder for kindness and being positive.  Shakespeare has a lot of excellent quotes and this is one of them. Thanks for you  WW, and too, loved seeing the song "Saints of God" which my youth choir sang years ago. I copied it for my S.S. lesson!====JACK:  Too often---we take memory for granted.  It's great to have it jogged once in a while.  Alzheimer's is a terrible affliction in more than one way.====OAKS:   That is a terrible affliction. So sad for the whole family, and it seems to affect a great many anymore.

 FROM ANTI-FRACKER:  I love this quote!====JACK:  What advice will you give your daughter when she takes off for Italy?

 FROM WALMART REV:  ...I remember more of someone's life, personality, experiences, etc. more than what they they preached or said.====JACK:  Or...Practice what you preach!

 FROM AW IN ILLINOIS:  Im not sure but I think Mom told me not to date girls  until I am older. ====JACK:  Just how old were you when you were allowed to date?


No comments: