Tuesday, November 06, 2012

Winning Words 11/6/12
“A politician thinks of the next election—a statesman of the next generation.”  (James Freeman Clarke)  I hate to see Olympia Snowe leave the Senate after 17 years.  “There’s no longer a political center.”  As a statesman, she saw compromise, conciliation and consensus-building as part of her role as a senator.  Most of us might not agree on who is a great statesman, but we know a politician when we see one.    ;-)  Jack

 FROM LS IN MICHIGAN:  God Bless the statesmen and may they be brought forth as leaders of this beautiful United! 5tates of America! Thank you for the quote this morning!////FROM JACK:  Gridlock is causing us to waste so much potential.  "When will they ever learn?"////LS:  When statesmen rise up and they are blessed w the wisdom to listen to understand and realize that by understanding they will be understood!!! Then we will move forward to find solutions and put them into motion for the greatest good.

 FROM HAWKEYE GEORGE:  I favor term limits. Why don't you?////FROM JACK:  Not all elected officials are bad, and not all the newly elected are better than those who have been replaced.  In your business you would not have wanted to get rid of employees who were doing a good job, just because they had served a certain number of years.  In fact, people who were good at their job would be rewarded by you.  I would like more "truth in advertising, too!....and less influence by the PACs.

 FROM HY-YO SILVER:  Sounds like an endorsement...////FROM JACK:  I recognize that people who read Winning Words come from differing political backgrounds, so I choose to concentrate on messages that stimulate the mind, rather on those that create a wedge.  However, I have voted and made a choice.

 FROM RI IN BOSTON:  That's an interesting comment about the distinction between a politician and a statesman.  Regarding your comments about Senator Olympia Snowe, I'm in total agreement with what you said.  She made herself part of "the solution", not "the problem."////FROM JACK:  I feel sad when those who stand for principles choose to sit down.  I wish that, what I think is the silent majority, could let Olympia and the others know that we support them when they take a "stand."////RI:  You're right.  While I have written my senators and representatives, to sometimes criticize them for their stand, and also tell them what I think about issues, I have to admit that I don't do it enough.  Too many citizens don't do it at all.

 FROM CL IN SANTA BARBARA:  I heard Gloria Steinem speak at a UCLA Bus School function in the 70s. She said . . . "Planning is s function of class. The rich plan for generations ahead and the poor plan for Saturday night."////FROM JACK:  At first glance, I nodded in approval of the quote.  On second thought, I felt guilty of prejudging the "non-rich."  For some people, Saturday night is about as far ahead as they can plan.  On third thought, it's generally a true quote.

 FROM SHARIN' SHARON: FROM SHARIN' SHARON:  My problem is I'm not always astute enough to know who is a politician when I see one. Tend to want to take people at face value and believe they are actually telling us their principles and not just what they think we want to hear in order to vote for them and elect them. Really! really! thankful I live in a democracy of over 2 million voters and I only have one vote--this humbleness also helps me not to argue politics with a lot of people.  Hoping we are getting what we are voting for and moreover that we have our own houses in order here in our country so that the poor will be assisted to come up from poverty and we won't have so much divisiveness in our country,////FROM JACK:  I like the words from the hymn, Onward, Christian soldiers...  "We are not divided, all one body we,      one in hope and doctrine, one in charity. "

 FROM BLAZING OAKS:  So true; A president can only do so much without support, and this congress is determined that he will not have it! Why Presidents get gray, and Barak Obama  sure has gotten very gray! I think whoever gets in as Pres. is going to have very rough sledding with the economy, unless the European Depression lifts, which seems doubtful.  It seems true statesmen are in short supply, and compromise has become a dirty word.  I, too, mourn Snowe's departure, but can see  the frustration.  I watched an interview with David McCullough Sunday night, (Author of JOHN ADAMS, TRUMAN, etc,)  and he avers that from time immemorial,  we mourn the present times, and think of how good the past was...probably true.  Well, I'll go vote and pray for the "lucky" winner!////FROM JACK:  I saw the same 60 Minutes interview.  Perhaps that is what inspired my comment for today.  My first presidential vote was when Harry Truman was opposed by Thomas Dewey.////BO:  I WAS TOO  YOUNG TO VOTE, BUT I WORKED FOR DEWEY...MUCH LATER ON I CAM TO ADMIRE TRUMAN A LOT...

 FROM RS IN TEXAS:  Well said, Jack.  That's why Birch Bayh from Indiana retired.  He said he got tired of seeing politicians spending half their term in office trying to get re-elected instead of doing the job they were hired to do.////FROM JACK:  And how about the humiliating task of kissing the "feet" of big donors, trying to get their financial support; when they, in turn, expect a payback?  I can see where some would say, "Who needs this?"

 FROM LG IN MICHIGAN:  Wow!! That's a good one, Jack! Thx for sharing!!!////FROM JACK:  I tried to leave the chaff on the floor.

FROM BBC IN ILLINOIS:  Lovely; I agree.  Today is a great day and I’m glad the sun is shining in the Midwest!////FROM JACK:  Your words remind me of the old Cubs' song..."It's a beautiful day for a ballgame (an election).Can you sing that song?
Let’s go!  Batter up!
We’re tak-ing the af-ter-noon off!
It’s a beau-ti-ful day for a ball game, for a ball game to-day
The fans are out to get a ticket or two
From Wal-la, Wash-ing-ton to Kal-a-ma-zoo
It’s a beau-ti-ful day for a home run,
But e-ven a tri-ple’s o-kay!
We’re gon-na cheer and boo and raise a hul-la-ba-loo
At the ball game to-day

 FROM TRIHARDER:  Next campaign starts tomorrow (-- or Thursday).////FROM JACK:  ...or tonight, when the polls close and the winner(s) are announced, before the votes are counted.

 FROM JM IN VIRGINIA:  I agree - she was a beacon in the darkness.  Maybe a new generation of "statesmen and stateswomen" will recognize the shortcomings of politics and have the wherewithal to look at the long term effects of their decisions!  Forever the optimist!////FROM JACK:  I thought about using stateswoman, but decided against it.  In my mind, statesman is a powerful word that transcends gender.  It's like Will Stockdale in "No Time for Sergeants," when he looked at a female Captain.  "I see a Captain.  That's all I see."  When I look at Senator Snowe, I see a statesman.  That's all I see.

 FROM HR IN MICHIGAN:  Some people think only of themselves, while some think of others.////FROM JACK:  I vote for someone, because I believe in what they stand for.  I think a representative should use his/her best judgment on issues, and if the voters don't like it, there's the next election.  Voter polling means that the representative guages the will of the people.  While what the people want should be known, I think Jimmy Stewart in "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington" is the ideal.

 FROM DS IN SAN DIEGO:  Have to agree with you on that one Jack.////FROM JACK:  In your lifetime, are there statesmen who you can recall?////DS:  Actually I admired Margaret Thatcher.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My problem is I'm not always astute enough to know who is a politician when I see one. Tend to want to take people at face value and believe they are actually telling us their principles and not just what they think we want to hear in order to vote for them and elect them. Really! really! thankful I live in a democracy of over 2 million voters and I only have one vote--this humbleness also helps me not to argue politics with a lot of people.
Hoping we are getting what we are voting for and moreover that we have our own houses in order here in our country so that the poor will be assisted to come up from poverty and we won't have so much divisiveness in our country,
S.H. in MI