Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Winning Words 11/13/12
“I have never been lost, but I will admit to being confused for several weeks.”  (Daniel Boone)  Dan’l was one of America’s first folk heroes.  He was once captured by Indians, but used the experience to learn from them.  I’ve read that the Boy Scouts came out of an organization named, Sons of Daniel Boone.  Speaking of confusion, I’ve been known to wander around, while driving, not willing to ask for directions.    ;-)  Jack

 FROM TRIHARDER IN MICHIGAN:  ...as long as you knew your destination, I guess it's ok.////FROM JACK:  Some of the most interesting places are discovered by wandering.////TH:  And, your thought made me think of the miles and miles that I've put on my car (or rental vehicles) in the mountains and deserts of the US, sometimes with a vague destination, sometimes just to see what I could see.  I guess going on hikes is similar -- no destination, per se.  Just wandering.////TH:  You know, Jack, a good portion of the time I'm involved in a legal project, I'll sit at my computer and nothing will come into my head. It's only while running or doing some other unrelated project that an idea often leaks into the brain.  Then the task becomes trying to remember it when I'm in a place where I can put it down on paper (or on a screen).  Day dreaming allows that to happen -- the creative juices often don't flow on demand.

 FROM WALMART REV:  "serving the King of the wild frontier"... (Taken from Davie Crokett, wasn't it?) ////FROM JACK:  Crockett's the one with the coonskin hat..////REV:  Disney World came on TV Sunday evenings during the time of our youth service at church...when Davey Crockett or Daniel Boone was featured, I'd beg (usually to no avail) to stay home to watch the program...probably wasn't a happy camper that night at church either. Memories! 0;-)////JACK:  Today's youth have even more reasons to skip a youth service...if there is a youth service.  God understands all.

 FROM DR PAUL IN MICHIGAN:  Thank goodness for GPS!!! ////FROM JACK:  I had a strange hobby when I was a kid.  I used to go around to filling stations and collect road maps.  I still have a map of Chicago when there were no freeways.  BTW, you've probably never used the words, filling stations.

 FROM RS IN MICHIGAN:  That’s perfectly normal….you’re a man!////FROM JACK:  You're always right!  You're a woman.

 FROM PEPPERMINT MARY:  curse of the gender.  sorry for the stereotype  :(////FROM JACK:  No cursing  allowed on this blog!////PM:  oh and by the way.  i love daniel boone.  i was so excited when i was a kid and the television program with fess parker aired.  i watched the original and re-watched the reruns through adulthood.  i would get up early and scrub floors on saturday morning when mark and i were first married.  i could hear the tv throughout our tiny little first home!  life was, (still is really), grand!////JACK:  It's no wonder that some people get Danny and Davy mixed up, since Fess played both characters on TV. ////PM:  no kidding.  my first theme song of the day was..."daniel boone was a man...such a big man".  little adison was dropped off early today and one of the teachers had brought in a disney theme song cd.  i popped it in and ..."davy, davy crocket...king of the wild frontier" started playing.  we danced and sang to it and i told her that when i was a little girl my brother johnny and i loved the song!  life is a series of synchronous happenings.

 FROM RI IN BOSTON:  "Wandering around driving"...that's not confusion.  Back on the farm that's what we called "getting the lay of the land."  If you don't resort to asking for directions to find the way, you're a man's man. ////FROM JACK:  That's right!  Daniel Boone was a man's man.  "I know where I'm going!"

 FROM WATERFORD JAN:  I've never been lost, but I've been misplaced a few times!////FROM JACK:  At least you haven't been put in the "dead letter" file.

 FROM SHARIN' SHARON:  Daniel Boone's sister, Hannah, married a Pennington, my husband's grandmother's side. The family figures the Hall brothers all have a drop or two of Daniel Boone's blood in them. Now I believe it since I read Daniel Boone's quote.////FROM JACK:  There's a song, "Blame It on the Bossa Nova."  Now your husband's confusion (at times) can be blamed on the Boone-a Nova.

 FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER:  I have a friend who's mother once said, "You're never lost with a tank full of gas." She's the same woman who got arrested for speeding in Davenport...on a horse.////FROM JACK:  During WW2, when there was gas rationing, some dairies delivered milk in a horse drawn wagon.  One day a little boy was watching as the milkman came back to the wagon after a delivery.  "Mister, you're not goin' anywhere.....Your horse just lost all his gasoline."

 FROM BLAZING OAKS:  "Confused for several weeks" sounds a bit serious!!~!  I suspect you are not alone in your wanderings, sans directions. Women are much more apt to stop and ask the minute they suspect they are on the wrong track, or need help. I know I do! As the Brits say, "Stay Calm and Carry On!"////FROM JACK:  I used to walk my dog, Tiger, using a leash hooked to his collar.  When I didn't want him to to go in a particular direction, I'd give a gentle (or, not so gentle) tug on the leash.  Do you suppose that God has a supply of leashes?

 FROM JS FROM MSU:  That's what men do.  Women are wise enough to ask for directions or I should say "ego-less"!  :-)////FROM JACK:  My mother-in-law used to say to her children when they were uncertain about going somewhere new?   "Afraid?  You can speak English, can't you?"

 FROM CL IN MICHIGAN:  "Been there , done that"  haven't we all?????////FROM JACK:  Evidently not today's female responders.

 FFROM IKE AT THE MIC:  Don't feel bad about not wanting to ask for directions..because rumor has it that the reason the Israelis  took 40years to get from Egypt to  Israel is that Moses being a male as well was too proud to ask for directions////FROM JACK:  Rumor also has it that Moses came to a fork in the road and chose the way leading to the land of milk and honey, instead of the way leading to oil..

 FROM "SAINT" JUDY:  Loved this Winning Words.  Daniel Boone's wife had it very hard.  He was a great man but his wife was the one to take care of the farm, kids, and raised them mostly by herself.  He was gone most of the time.  But he was faithful to her and her to him.  He ended up being one of our greatest explorers and statesman.////FROM JACK  The frontiersmen got the glory.  Thanks for the reminder of the glorious frontierswomen. 

 FROM FM IN WISCONSIN:  I have always loved road maps –they can help greatly to find a way, a destination.  I have a very large collection of maps – some of them I have had for 50 years or more.  I have them filed alphetically in file drawers- and it is amazing how often I go to them when I am reading or listening to the news on a radio or on TV.  Our new car has a system to tell where you are and how to reach a destination.   When the car was delivered to us, my wife then suggested that I could throw out all my maps.  But I find use for the maps almost every day – not that I am lost, but just wanting to know where someplace is.  I have been lost a few times but I have found my way many many times with my maps!////FROM JACK:  Does your will specify what's to become of your collection?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Daniel Boone's sister, Hannah, married a Pennington, my husband's grandmother's side. The family figures the Hall brothers all have a drop or two of Daniel Boone's blood in them. Now I believe it since I read Daniel Boone's quote.
S.H. in MI