Thursday, November 01, 2012

Winning Words 11/1/12
“God creates out of nothing.  Wonderful, you say?  What is still more wonderful: he makes saints out of sinners.”  (Kierkegaard)  Today is All Saints’ Day, a time for giving honor to people who have made a difference in the world.  In the beginning, each day of the year was given the name of a saint, but they soon ran out of days, so Nov. 1 was chosen as the day to honor ALL saints.  Who are the saints in your life?    ;-)  Jack

 FROM (SAINT) JUDY:  My husband is my "major" saint.  He lives a Godly life and he's my hero.  My children's lives are also on God's path, for which we are deeply grateful.  My grandchildren are learning and living in His path also but of course, they have a long way to go.  I have wonderful friends who help me through life. They are all saints in my eyes but have a little bit of the sinner inside too.  It makes life interesting because, in the end, we are all justified by Jesus' sacrifice. ////FROM JACK:  I don't know if you've seen on the blog that Outhouse Judy has been canonized and is not, (Saint) Judy.

 FROM MICHIZONA RAY:  Like Kierkegaard, who noted that all knowledge comes by reflection, the saints in my life are recognizable in the same way. Though there are many whom I have been graced to have encountered, you, Pastor Freed, have been an enduringly pleasant one! Thank you.////FROM JACK:  Time for reflection is sometimes seen as a waste of time.  The Go-Go society needs to Pause-Pause once in a while.

 FROM SHARIN' SHARON:  I like how you can keep on pointing out some quote of value from people on high but also people whom some others might think are in lowly places. God really did teach you to show no partiality and you teach us too. I believe recognizing saintliness is the main liveliness powering your blog and always enjoy reading it!!!!! I've become more inclusive reading it.////FROM JACK:  Halloween continues, in that God's saints come to us in unusual disguises.  Be on the lookout for one of them today.

 FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  St, John Vianney started out being my feast day saint but now he has been moved to another date for some mysterious reason.  At least. he is still there, but on another day in August .////FROM JACK:  I looked in vain for a St. Shirley in the Catholic listing of saints.  Bur Shirley Feeney in the Laverne and Shirley TV show was kind of a saint.

 FROM EMT SINGS IN MICHIGAN:  Both of my parents, Rick's Mom and a brother of his that was hit and run as a teenager and laid in a coma for 4 yrs till he died, will be among those listed in the church's reading of the names on Sunday.  I'm sorry that we will be in T.C. and not hear that.  But they remain in our hearts forever! And, of course, we give thanks for those saints that are still alive.  We know many! ////FROM JACK:  The Bible refers to a "host" of saints, meaning: a whole lot.  I like the All Saints hymn, "Behold, a host arrayed in white."

 FROM CL IN MICHIGAN:  Three come quickly to mind Esther, and John.////FROM JACK:  There's a city in Illinois, called St. Charles.

 FROM BLAZING OAKS:  KIERKEGAARD HAD A LOT OF GOOD THOUGHTS!! I AM READING "TO HEAVEN AND BACK" BY DR. MARY C. NEAL, RIGHT NOW, AND SHE IS SURE WE ARE SURROUNDED BY HELPFUL SPIRITUAL "SAINTS'. SHE DID HAVE AN EXTRAORDINARY NEAR-DEATH EXPERIENCE!  I'M MOST THANKFUL FOR MY SAINT OF A HUSBAND (NOW GONE 10 YRS!) MY SAINTLY TWINNER (ALSO GONE) AND MANY OTHER WONDERFUL SAINTS IN MY LIFE, INCLUDING MY 4 CHILDREN. MANY BLESSINGS ON ALL SAINT'S DAY.  IT SEEMS THOSE WHO HAVE NEAR-DEATH EXPERIENCES, AND REUNION WITH SOME OF THE SAINTS, CAN'T FIND ADEQUATE WORDS TO DESCRIBE THIS ENCOUNTER TO US. THERE ARE NO "MORTAL" WORDS!!  SOMETHING TO LOOK FORWARD TO...////FROM JACK:  There is so much that we don't understand, sitting here on "this side."

 FROM JE IN MICHIGAN:  St. Jude is my saint….the saint of hopeless cases…. I hope our school's Sinking Fund passes.  I’m saying a prayer or two to St. Jude for this.////FROM JACK:  Do you get his attention by singing, "Hey, Jude?"

 FROM PC IN MICHIGAN:  ...and Friday is All Souls Day. :)////FROM JACK:  This is probably new information for most Protestants.  The practice of praying for the dead, that they might be released from purgatory, seems similar to the practice of surrogate baptizing of the dead by some religions.

 FROM ILLINOIS LIZ:  My daughter was baptized on All Saints' Day... my fav holy day.////FROM JACK:  Days are usually remembered because of personal events that happened.  A baptism is certainly such an event.

 FROM FM IN WISCONSIN:  I had lunch on Wednesday with and old friend – he and I went to school together from K – 12 grade.  He is a retired attorney, and he asked me about ‘meaning’ of All Saints Day.   I attempted to answer, but you have a better answer, which I sent Bob.////FROM JACK:  I'm preaching on Sunday at Holy Spirit with All Saints as the topic.  I suppose you've had your share of missions named, All Saints Lutheran Church.  Have you heard of the one in Denver called, A House for All Sinners and Saints?"



2 comments:

Ray Gage said...

Like Kierkegaard, who noted that all knowledge comes by reflection, the saints in my life are recognizable in the same way. Though there are many whom I have been graced to have encountered, you, Pastor Freed, have been an enduringly pleasant one! Thank you.

Anonymous said...

I like how you can keep on pointing out some quote of value from people on high but also people whom some others might think are in lowly places. God really did teach you to show no partiality and you teach us too. I believe recognizing saintliness is the main liveliness powering your blog and always enjoy reading it!!!!! I've become more inclusive reading it.
S.H. in MI