Monday, October 08, 2012

Winning Words 10/8/12
“You gotta lose ‘em some of the time.  When you do, lose ‘em right.”  (Casey Stengel)  I enjoy watching the Little League World Series.  This year I saw something that really inspired me.  The losing team, instead of crying, went up to the winning players and gave them hugs.  One of my favorite movie lines is from “A League of Their Own.” when Tom Hanks says to one of the Peaches, “There’s no crying in baseball.”    ;-)  Jack

 FROM SHARIN' SHARON:  This is an extraordinary WW. Yesterday I lost an argument with someone. Couldn't convince that person to come to my perspective. Still festering this morning but a little prayer, a little WW and all is taking a larger perspective. I love the image of seeing all the kids hugging on the field.   ////FROM JACK:  We can't be winners all of the time, so we have to learn how to be gracious losers.  Some members of Congress need to learn how to do this.

 FROM MJF IN MICHIGAN:  I may have cried, yesterday had the Tigers lost that game. I can't remember ever feeling that stressed watching a ball game  .I also enjoyed the Little League World Series. ////FROM JACK:  Imagine if it were Austin, instead of Coco.  I liked it when Al "kissed" the ball.  There's still fun in the game.  Since we don't have MLB TV, I had to listen to The Ticket.

 FROM DP IN WISCONSIN:  Congrats to Tigers. I'm rooting for ya.////FROM JACK:  Thanks for the support.  One reporter wrote that Don Kelly was praying before he went to the plate to knock in the winning run.  I wonder if God was tuned in?  BTW, it would be great to be eating a beef stick while watching the game.  Do you know where I can get some good ones?

 FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  What team was that in the Little League Series? The Tigers are doing great.  You must be enjoying the games.////FROM JACK:  I think that the "hugging" team might have been Uganda, when they lost 12-0 to Mexico.  And, yes, the Tigers are doing well.  Another "thank you" to the Rays for taking care of the White Sox during the final week of the season.

 FROM ED IN ARIZONA:  One of my top 5 movies of all time.  ...and speaking of baseball... GO TIGERS!!!////FROM JACK:  When the Rockford Peaches were playing baseball in 1945, the Detroit Tigers won the World Series.

 FROM RI IN BOSTON:  The Red Sox didn't just "lose 'em right"...they lost 'em left and right!////FROM JACK:  ...and their manager was a not-so-funny Valentine.

 FROM BLAZING OAKS:  The Little League World Series was engrossing...quite a few close games! I like it that in my g.sons, and great.g.sons ball games, the teams line up and walk down the line giving each other high fives.  It shows good sportsmanship...good training for life!  The Tigers are awesome right now. Cardinals struggling. But "Bear Down Chicago Bears": they're looking good!  In the game of Life it IS important to lose in the right way...most of us get enough practice to perfect this! :-)////FROM JACK:  The father of my seminary roommate was from Williamsport and was one of the original Little League umpires.  I think that his LL Umpire card number was less than 10.

 FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Great timing for this one!  Hopefully, there will be no crying for the Tigers either!  Here's hoping we always lose the right way and win the right way too!////FROM JACK:  Benoit heard boos on Sunday.  Rayburn and Inge know that sound, too.  I remember once hearing about a pastor who was booed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is an extraordinary WW. Yesterday I lost an argument with someone. Couldn't convince that person to come to my perspective. Still festering this morning but a little prayer, a little WW and all is taking a larger perspective. I love the image of seeing all the kids hugging on the field.
S.H. in MI