Tuesday, October 02, 2012

Winning Words 10/2/12
“May God grant you always a sunbeam to warm you, a moonbeam to charm you, a sheltering angel, so nothing can harm you.”  (Irish Blessing)  Can you think of some sheltering angel who has come into your life and made it a warmer and more charming place?  Could it be that such a one has come to us to be an example?  Who is it that has had a major influence on your life to make you a better person?    ;-)  Jack

 OM RI IN BOSTON:  I've come to realize lately that there are a lot of "sheltering angels" at work in our hospitals...the nurses that devote themselves to the care of their patients.  They are truly a blessing. ////FROM JACK:  There's an assisted living facility in Houston which is called, Sheltering Angels...a good name, I'd say.

 FROM PL IN MICHIGAN:  Like you really don't know?  :-)////FROM JACK:  I think that her birthday is coming up in a few days.

 FROM SS IN MICHIGAN:  Thanks for the reminder...I have been blessed by sooo many angels in my life and it is good to think about them with thanksgiving.////FROM JACK:  The word, angel, means "messenger of God."  That must mean that God has sent you sooo many messages.

 FROM SHARIN' SHARON:  I had a minister when I was about 16 years or so who tried to teach me about baptism--especially that believers baptism was the only way for a relationship to God. What a cold world it became (actually I had my own 14 year old questioning believers baptism). It was a couple of Lutheran pastors who helped me sort out theology on levels both more at the surface and also deep inside so that my relationship to God finally did become more warm and trusting, me a better more loving person. They were such an example to me. Have settled into what I believe is better soil for my spiritual growth but, you know, I now don't expect my sheltering angels to be perfect people, in fact have become quite able to live with people of differing opinions. The sacraments are so mysterious and God is so powerful that even that former devil in my life has become a treasured sympathetic person to me. And maybe me to him. Who knows where he is now in his thinking--things in the church have changed so much over this half century. By the way, you are a sunbeam that warms us each morning and we are thankful you've popped up again on our computers this morning.////FROM JACK:  I guess that the devil can be an angel, too.////SHARON:  Coincidentally, or maybe not, just attended the Transfiguration Tuesday noon healing service, as I have been doing now for a few weeks, and the priest preached a sermon in which he talked about the angels coming to people in the Old Testament, the angels coming to the shepherds at Jesus' birth and how the angels are around us protecting us. That's about the gist of his sermon but, for me, coming after this whole morning so far of events, it was totally comforting. I believe I could go out and witness to people about Jesus and what he has done for us to bring us salvation and forgiveness.

 FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  My family and my friends are my blessings who have all helped me along the way.  By the way, right now I am looking out into the backyard with the raintree blooming with red and yellow leaves now and the bird orange bird of paradise asplash with color.////FROM JACK:  Angels don't always have white robes, wings, a harp and a halo.

 FROM AR IN MICHIGAN:  I told my sister about your winning words and she was wondering if you could add her to your list of people you send these to ??  Thanks and keep up the encouraging words. ////FROM JACK:  The WWs list grows, because people like you share.  The two of must have shared things when you were growing up..////AMY:  My sister is our guardian angel in the family –////JACK:  It would be good to share that thought with her, if you haven't already done so.  Everyone like to know that they're appreciated.


FROM BLAZING OAKS:  Love the Irish "blessings"...I have one hanging in  my entrance hall:
May those who love us, love us,
And those who don't love us,
May God turn their hearts.
And if He doesn't turn their hearts,
May He turn their ankles
So we'll know them by their limping.
Old Gaelic Blessing...
I've had a good share of sheltering angels, starting with my Mom and twin sis, and kind and loving husband, who was  pretty unflappable in all  circumstances...which stood  him in good stead, being married to Moto-Marilyn!! Not to mention being the "pampered darling" first-lady of Congregations for several years! ////FROM JACK:  God sends his angels, especially to those who must live in a fishbowl, sometimes referred to as, the parsonage.

 FROM DC IN KANSAS:  Losing Words -- Two things I cannot do: decide to sleep and to forget.  Falling asleep and forgetting happen to me.  Try to fall asleep.  Try to forget.  Doesn't work.  But somehow they happen.  I'm glad I don't remember everything and don't stay awake.  Some of God's strange blessings, I guess.////FROM JACK:  Some things are referred to as, "blessings in disguise."  With the passing of time, we come to understand the truth of the prayer, "Thy will, not mine, be done!"

 FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  I love that saying!  There have been hundreds of people who have touched my life with their angel wings.  My grandma, my parents, Gary, my kids, the hospice nurses for my parents, and on and on.  We are truly blessed by angels at our head, hands and feet!////FROM JACK:  Do you remember the song, "Angels watching over me?"

 FROM BS IN LONDON:  I really do have such a person-----the Rev Doreen Fotherby is an angel who is quietly in the background giving help and always a listening ear to me and Angela as we walk together through this terrible disease///FROM JACK:  Your comment reminded me of that line from Psalm 23...."Yea, thought I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, thou art with me."  Even though this refers to the Lord, it can also apply to someone like Doreen.

FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER:  My favorite Irish "toast" is May your saddest day next year be no sadder than your happiest day this year."////FROM JACK:  My favorite toast is cinnamon.

 FROM JB IN MICHIGAN:  Perfect words Jack.   We celebrated a catholic funeral mass yesterday and it was indeed the date of the feast of guardian angels which could not have been more fitting for my mom and the tireless work she did for the mentally and physically disabled.   Thank you again for these words and your thoughts and prayers.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had a minister when I was about 16 years or so who tried to teach me about baptism--especially that believers baptism was the only way for a relationship to God. What a cold world it became (actually I had my own 14 year old questioning believers baptism). It was a couple of Lutheran pastors who helped me sort out theology on levels both more at the surface and also deep inside so that my relationship to God finally did become more warm and trusting, me a better more loving person. They were such an example to me. Have settled into what I believe is better soil for my spiritual growth but, you know, I now don't expect my sheltering angels to be perfect people, in fact have become quite able to live with people of differing opinions. The sacraments are so mysterious and God is so powerful that even that former devil in my life has become a treasured sympathetic person to me. And maybe me to him. Who knows where he is now in his thinking--things in the church have changed so much over this half century. By the way, you are a sunbeam that warms us each morning and we are thankful you've popped up again on our computers this morning.
S.H. in MI

Anonymous said...

Coincidentally, or maybe not, just attended the Transfiguration Tuesday noon healing service, as I have been doing now for a few weeks, and the priest preached a sermon in which he talked about the angels coming to people in the Old Testament, the angels coming to the shepherds at Jesus' birth and how the angels are around us protecting us. That's about the gist of his sermon but, for me, coming after this whole morning so far of events, it was totally comforting. I believe I could go out and witness to people about Jesus and what he has done for us to bring us salvation and forgiveness.
S.H. in MI