Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Winning Words 10/16/12
“There have been only two geniuses in the world—Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.”  (Tallulah Bankhead)  T.B., the actress, was eclectic, a fan of the Giants and also a fan of Shakespearian works.  She enjoyed both kinds of plays.  I’ve read that a genius is someone with an IQ above 140.  I don’t know what my number is, but I’m not applying for Mensa membership.  I wonder if the two Willies would qualify?    ;-)  Jack

 FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Probably neither one would apply either.  But they were geniuses in their own way with their own special gifts.  You don't have to be intelligent to be a genius, just gifted.////FROM JACK:  I've heard that the genius finds that being above average in an average world is a heavy burden to bear.

 FROM DR PAUL IN MICHIGAN: I think there are times when all of us wish our neurons worked a little faster with much more accuracy. Then I look at the people I know or who I've read about that are "geniuses". Many of them are tortured souls. I'm not sure I would make that trade anymore.////FROM JACK:  I like it best when my, body, mind and soul are in sync.  I heard some Aaron Copeland music on Sunday.  At times I wondered whether or not the notes were acquainted with each other,but, in the end, it made sense...and beautiful music.  Maybe that's the way it is with some lives.

 FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER:  Had a receptionist once who claimed to be a Mensa member. Maybe she was, but it didn't help her perform her job very well. It's how you use what you have.////FROM JACK:  It's the same way with money.  It's not how much you have, but how you use what you have.

 FROM RON IN TEXAS:   From my experience there is more than one type of genius.  I would suspect based on their accomplishments both would qualify.  You may not be applying for membership in Mensa, Jack, but you are way more valuable than some Mensa members I know. ////FROM JACK:  I like the Joe Theisman quote about about who is a genius, "Nobody in the game of football should be called a genius. A genius is somebody like Norman Einstein."////RON:  Maybe that's why Joe was a football player and sportscaster and not a physicist.  On the other hand , he got people to pronounce his last name to rhyme with "Heisman." so maybe there was a sliver of genius there.  It might be interesting to do a poll of people and see who they consider to be a "genius."

 FROM GOOD DEBT JON:  I'd say genius is in results not test scores.////FROM JACK:  It all has to do with the Spin Doctors.

 FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  They are both obviously gifted in a special way.////FROM JACK:  The "gifted" aren't necessarily gifted.  But, in the case of the two Willies, they were really good at what they did.

 FROM BLAZING OAKS:  I often noticed that some very bright people often lack common sense, even tho they  are super-smart in their spheres of excellence.  I wonder how happy genius's are...hard to find an intellectual equal, for sure...that's not a problem for most of us "ordinary" folk! :-)  How blessed we are to be in our 'right minds" into our 80's..////FROM JACK:  I've heard it said that playing cards helps keep the mind sharp.  I've also heard it said that playing cards is considered to be a sin by some Baptists..







No comments: