Tuesday, September 04, 2012

Winning Words 9/4/12
“The deepest human need is the need to be appreciated.”  (William James)  Since yesterday was Labor Day, I was curious to know what employees want most.  Inc. magazine made a study, and #1 turned out to be “purpose.”  Further down the list were “appreciated” and “responsibility.”  I was surprised that “compensation” was #10.  On my list #1 might be “acceptance.”  What’s your list look like?    ;-)  Jack

 FROM WATERFORD JAN:  I think being part of what's going on at work is important.////FROM JACK:  Since you're the first one online today, you are entitled to a raise in pay.

 FROM SHARIN' SHARON:  Enjoyed your WW and especially seeing that compensation was #10.  With all this politics going on and that it's the economy, trying to make the economy the central interest, reading that Americans work with other values in mind besides just monetary is most hopeful for our country.  We are a nice people and generous.  I go along with your #1 of "acceptance" and would put it "validation". I think none of us can be ever perfect at our labor but we can all be appreciated for something that we actually achieve doing perfectly for someone in someone's eyes.////FROM JACK:  I liked what you had to say about compensation and also validation.  Somewhere along the line, the spirit of altruism has been left waiting at the station.

FROM GOOD DEBT JON:  "Thank you, Jack, that WW was meaningful and appreciated…"////FROM JACK:  You've met my deep human need...according to William James.  And, I agree.

 FROM FM IN WISCONSIN:  I agree with Inc. Magazine . . . a sense of accomplishment . . . being able to step back and say to oneself, “That I have done.”////FROM JACK:  FROM FM IN WISCONSIN:  I agree with Inc. Magazine . . . a sense of accomplishment . . . being able to step back and say to oneself, “That I have done.”

FROM GUSTIE MN:  I think "appreciated" might be first on my list!    Maybe I should add "by my family" to that.  Ha!////FROM JACK:  I talked to someone today who said that her husband's managers show their appreciation by giving him bonuses.  What he'd really like is just the words..."Thank You!"

 FROM ILLINOIS LIZ:  Purpose.////FROM JACK:  You and Inc. and the people they interviewed agree!  You've got it right!

 FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER:  As an employee, compensation is appreciation enough. As a person, compassion is right up there.////FROM JACK:  Some employers have a difficult time trying to fit into the shoes of the employee...but not all.  I like the TV show, Undercover Boss.

 FROM CL IN MICHIGAN:  I believe my #1 was and is being appreciated.////FROM JACK:  The Beatles sang the song: "You can't buy me love."  It also reminds me of an "old" song, "She's only a bird in a gilded cage."  Some employees, like you, just want some appreciation.  The golded cage can wait.

 FROM HAWKEYE GEORGE:  My biggest one is purpose - Viktor Frankl of WW II fame said the survivors of death camps had one of 2 purposes: love to see loved ones again or hate to persecute the guards after the war.  My needs:  1 purpose; 2 needed/appreciated; 3 responsibility; 4 have goals; 5 compensation.////FROM JACK:  You named most of the "needs" in the article.  Others were autonomy, flexibility and attention.  Flexibility is something that relatively new to the work place.

 FROM BLAZING OAKS:  I'm really surprised that Compensation is # 10!  Being Appreciated and Encouraged  does top the list...nothing improves our hearing like praise!!  And a positive attitude in the workplace sure helps productivity!  When employers (Springfield, IL) were interviewed a few years ago, as to what was most important to them, about employees, HONESTY topped their list, and they seemed to think it was in short supply as far as pilfering from their retail stores and offices.  Reliability and loyalty were also tops.  Interesting WW.////FROM JACK:  Our pastor is very good at writing Thank You notes, even if it's just a line and his signature.  He even addresses the envelope.  I recently bought a new box of Thank You cards.  I have to open it one of these days.

 FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Light work, 2 hour day, 4 hour lunch and 6  months vacation.  LOL  Mine would probably be, compassionate boss.////FROM JACK:  Compassionate boss?  That's the kind I had.  Of course he also said, "Be perfect as your Heavenly Boss is perfect."



4 comments:

Jan said...

I think being part of what's going on at work is important.

Jan said...

I think being part of what's going on at work is important.

Jan said...

I guess it's "doubley" important as i can't seem to delete one of my comments!

Anonymous said...

I go along with your #1 of "acceptance" and would put it "validation". I think none of us can be ever perfect at our labor but we can all be appreciated for something that we actually achieve doing perfectly for someone in someone's eyes.
S.H. in MI