Friday, September 28, 2012

Winning Words 9/28/12
“We never really grow up.  We only learn how to act in public.”  (A Paraprosdokian)  How many of you know the word, paraprosdokian, without looking it up?  And yet, it’s something that we use regularly to create humor.  My mother would often refer to my sister and me as “the kids,” when we were adults.  BTW, Why do Americans choose from 2 people to president and from 50 to be Miss America?    ;-)  Jack

 FROM DR ERIC IN MICHIGAN:  I had to look it up  A friend turned me onto comedian Mitch Hedberg a few years ago. Unfortunately drugs got the best of Mitch, but I enjoy listening to his comedy (not very clean though - swears quite a bit). "I haven't slept for ten days, because that would be too long." —Mitch Hedberg////FROM JACK:  Rodney Dangerfield is another comedian who relied on paraprosdokians.

 FROM GOOD DEBT JON:  I do. "The past is the past, unless you still owe for it." was one of my main themes I wrote in my pitch letter to the publisher. "Wherever there is a will, there's an impending death.." is another.////FROM JACK:  As a lyricist, can you think of some songs that are based on the "p" word?

 FROM DOOBIE DOO:  Jack in my case, this is very true especially when I get behind a wheel of a nice car.  My family tell me I'll never grow up. People ask me why I do it and I tell them "because I want to". ////FROM JACK:  In your case, you should have added another adjective..."When I get behind the wheel of a nice,  FAST car...."////DOO:  No I drive my truck that way also..........just ask my grandkids........three weeks ago I was following a new Camaro in a turn and my one grandson said, "Papa that Camaro is going too slow for you isn't it". I told him it's all about being smooth in the turns that allows me to be fast, that that guy in the Camaro has not learned how to drive yet!   That put a smile on their faces!

 FROM KB IN MICHIGAN:  I loved this--especially the part about 50 Miss America's and two presidential candidates.  Thanks for your daily contributions////FROM JACK:  Now that I think of it, I'd rather keep things the way they are.  Can you imagine the political ads connected with 50 candidates for president....and a Miss America pageant with only 2 contestants?

 FROM FLORINDY NORM: amen to that:  i've always been a kid.////FROM JACK:  Kids are always curious and sometimes get into mischief.  Yes, I guess that you're still a kid.

 FROM SHARIN' SHARON:  I have to chuckle with your WW today.  In our family we must have really taken off on the "children should be seen and not heard" because we were all very shy in public.  Our parents couldn't believe the teachers in parent-teachers conferences when they would say we were such well-behaved children.  Now that we're all grown up we do all speak more in public as adults but I, for one, am very sensitive to the fact that the tongue can be terribly offensive at times and cause damage to others.  How come the presidents we vote into office all seem to be such good-looking people?  We'll miss you on Monday--best wishes for a very, very good long weekend.////FROM JACK:  My parent-teacher conferences weren't always like your's, but that's another story.  BTW, Lincoln was often derided for being so homely.////SHARON:  Maybe the country could have a President like Lincoln because photography and TV and so forth weren't developed like now.  But it makes me think--are we seeing the real President or a bunch of make-up and other artistry designed to make our Presidents look good in photographs, on TV, and so forth?  In one of my psychology classes, I remember the professor telling us tall, good-looking men had better chances at being employed than others.////JACK:  I've heard that it sometimes works that way with choosing pastors.  I would hope that people would use their brains and not just their eyes.

 FROM HY-YO SILVER:  Yep. That's true and awkwardly realistic.////FROM JACK:  Is the public "face" of a politician an "act?"  In fact, I guess that question applies to all of us.  I would like to think that we all strive to put our best foot forward...but, then, I'm an Optimist.

 FROM PASTY PAT:  Had to look it up.  As often is the case my "learn (at least) one thing new each day" comes early in the morning with WW!////FROM JACK:  Newspaper columnist, Sydney J. Harris, would sometimes write about, "Things I Learned While Looking Up Other Things."  That's how I came across "paraprosdokian."  I also like how the word sounds when it's spoken.////PC:  Now I just have to figure out how to casually work it into my next conversation!

 FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Nope didn't know it.  This reminds me of Peter Pan...he never wanted to grow up.  I don't mind growing up~it's growing out I don't like!////FROM JACK:  There you did it!  You created a paraprosdokian...I think!

 FROM PC IN MICHIGAN:  Actually, there are more than two people on the ballot for president. There's a Green Party, Libertarian Party and U.S. Constitution Party on the ballot as well. When I do mock elections at the schools, we put all parties on the ballot; not just the Republican and Democratic candidates. Perhaps if our students/children were advised from a young age that there are more than two parties, the world would understand there are more choices.////FROM JACK:  I read that Italy has 6 major parties and 22 minor ones.  No one party dominates, so the government has to be run by coalitions...which leads to wheeling and dealing.  As far as what's best...You picks your poison, or elixir.

 FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  Well, I guess we did have the primaries and a few more to choose from. ////FROM JACK:  Those primaries seemed to divide, rather than unify.  I remember, as a child, going into a store where a large assortment of candy was displayed, and I only had enough money for one choice.  It was frustrating.  Yet, democracy is designed so that choices can be made.////SHIRL:  Actually, I have been happy with three of my choices.  Often, it was the lesser of the evil.  Not that bad, of course.

 FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER:  Politics isn't a beauty or talent contest. And there are a lot more pretty girls than there are good representatives.////FROM JACK:  The 3 "so-called" presidential debates will be sort of a combined talent and beauty show.  You might be interested to know that Donald Trump's Miss Universe Beauty Pageant will be held on Dec 19 in Las Vegas

 FROM SAINT JAMES:  That's a good question...2 vs 50!////FROM JACK:  When I was taking finals, it wasn't the questions that bothered me, it was the answers.

FROM JEFF:  "Paraprosdokian" is a tough word to say, so I usually pause, collect my thoughts, and use another word.

 FROM ILLINOIS LIZ:  (Some of us don't know how 2 act in public!)////FROM JACK:  Do you remember when parents would say, "Act your age?"  I wonder how you would be acting today, if you were following their advice?

 FROM FM IN WISCONSIN:  There are a host of paraprosdokians . . . one I like is from Churchill (he liked them) “You can always count on Americans to do the right thing – after they have tried everything else.”   It certainly applies to the House and Senate the last few years.////FROM JACK:  You are surmising that they will get around to doing the right thing.

 FROM ILLINOIS LIZ:  Actually, I was always mature. But w/a wicked sense of humor. Gisela is the same way. We apples..////FROM JACK:  You forgot the generation before yours..

 FROM AJ IN MICHIGAN:  This is really great because I always live by the idea that I needed to raise my children to be well-behaved in public.////FROM JACK:  Children usually model the behavior of their parents.




No comments: