Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Winning Words 9/26/12
“Ultimately, we all have to decide for ourselves what constitutes failure, but the world is quite eager to give you a set of criteria, if you let it.”  (J.K. Rowling)  Am I a failure, because I’ve never read a Harry Potter book?  Am I a success because I’ve read the Bible completely in a year?  People are quick to assign success/failure to others.  Google, “The Guy in the Glass,” and ponder it.    ;-)  Jack

 FROM GOOD DEBT JON:  I am currently reading a book called, "What You Think of Me is None of My Business." What a great title. http://www.amazon.com/What-You-Think-None-Business/dp/051509479X ////FROM JACK:  Constructive criticism is good for those who are strong enough to take it, and are motivated enough to do something with it.////JON:  I don’t think it is about avoiding criticism, I think it is about being conscious of your choices.
.
 FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  We should be true to ourselves, of course, it goes without saying,  But the One who will judge ourselves in the end, is the one to whom we should be praying.////FROM JACK:  God also says, "Well done, good and faithful servant."

 FROM CZB IN COLORADO:  This one really resonates with me. At this stage of life (kids leaving the nest), it's easy to feel like you are not doing or giving enough. Same with my girlfriends.  Thanks! This puts a new perspective on where the guilt is coming from!////FROM JACK:  In the quote, change the word, failure, to success.  In "my" world, I see what you have done as a parent and I commend you.  You're a good one.

FROM SHARIN' SHARON:  I enjoyed your WW this morning and did google "The Guy in the Glass".  Enjoyed that poem very much too.  Actually, I think the guy in the glass bears a lot of responsibility for being able to look himself in the eye in the mirror but I also think all the rest of us bear some responsibility for being supportive as he/she lives life--the words we say, the actions we take can work for or against each others' being able to look ourselves in the eyes in the mirror.  At the least we can pray that any words we say or actions we take which would be against the image of God in another human being will be far less powerful than the good that will overtake the sin.////FROM JACK:  Luther, in his explanation to the commandment, "You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor," said that we should explain our neighbor's actions in the kindest way.

FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER:  I guess I'm a failure. Who's the "Guy in the Glass?"////FROM JACK:  Have you looked in a mirror lately?

 FROM CH ON CAPE COD:  Come the end of the year – I will really be a success – because I’m currently doing the “Through the Bible in a Year” and it looks like I’m going to make it.  J  And  I’ve read (and enjoyed) the Harry Potter books.  J   (and could tell you why theologically the 7th book is infinitely better than the movie)_ ////FROM JACK:  I once got enough copies of  The One Year Living Bible so that each member could be invited to read the Bible in a year.  Many did...and later thanked me for giving them the opportunity.  Is there a Through Harry Potter (Book 7) in a Year?////CH:  Actually – with Harry Potter- I found I experienced some inertia before starting the series and then between books, but once you started a book it was hard to put down… I wish I could say that about some of the OT books – it has taken a lot of discipline.  We’ve been using the monthly magazine/program called “Daily Walk” which offers some commentary and reflections for each days assigned reading and for the most part it has been very helpful.  I think most of the people who started with us in the congregation have fallen far behind, but have nonetheless read more scripture than they would have otherwise.  Tiffany and I have found it very meaningful and enriching.////JACK:  Is the measure of success, the completion, or the reading?  "Little Jack Horner sat in a corner reading his One Year Bible etc."////CH:  Maybe the success is in  the ‘understanding.’  Or maybe it’s in the ‘doing.’ ////JACK: ...or in understanding AND doing.







No comments: