Monday, September 17, 2012

Winning Words 9/17/12
“Even the maid has a family.”  (South American Proverb)  Since I discovered this quote a couple of weeks ago I’ve tried to look at those who wait on me as people..with families.  The restaurant server, the cashier, the garbageman….have families.  Recently, in our community, we have been brought to see that our police officers and fire fighters are real human beings.  This world, yours and mine, needs more empathy.    ;-)  Jack

 FROM CB IN MICHIGAN:  One of my most deeply learned lessons I received from my father was and I quote, "You must respect every person.  A person on the corner selling pencils is working to earn an honest living and deserves our respect."  There was a blinded American Indian man who sold newspapers in the building where my dad worked.and on a visit to my dad at work one day, I heard the lesson that stuck with me forever.  I just finished reading a book for my book club, light reading, but a deeply human message.  The book is called The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society.  I think you'd like it.////FROM JACK:  Your response caused me to remember an Asian man who had lost both legs.  He was a cook, and the fire fighters in my hometown "hired" him to be their cook.  They allowed him to live at the fire station and cared for his other needs.  I recall meeting him and seeing him in a wheel chair.  The fire fighters were his family. ////CB:  Thank you -  I love hearing about the human spirit at its best.////JACK:  Isn't it amazing...what's stored in our brain?

 FROM ILLINOIS LIZ:  Have 2 be honest, I am rather shocked by ur statement... yes, maids r people, too!////FROM JACK:  That is exactly the point that I was trying to make today...that maids are people.  Those who "serve" us are often often "over-looked."  That's what's shocking.//// FROM ILLINOIS LIZ:  I guess that's wrong with the world... little empathy..   Village Inn closed down for a week to remodel recently. I got home, and realized that I had inadvertently skimped on a tip for our nice and pregnant waitress. I waited till they reopened a week later, then took her the extra money I had neglected to give her the last time I was there.   Most people don't tip the hardworking chambermaid at the hotel, because they don't see her and she won't see them... appalling.   I guess that is why I am depressed and miserable a good part of the time. I worry too much about other people, the sorry state of our country and the world.

 FROM PL IN MICHIGAN:  I really like this one!////FROM JACK:  For me, it was one of those quotes that caused me to try on some moccasins.

FROM BF IN MICHIGAN:  AMEN!////FROM JACK:  More empathy....So be it!

 FROM C&J IN TUCSON:  This quote reminded me of the recent award-winning movie "The Help."  I hope you have seen it because it certainly speaks to this idea.  Also, did you really send this at 2:34 this morning?////FROM JACK:  Yes, "the Help" does tell the story.  I once went to visit a "rich" family.  I noticed a wire going under the dining room table and attached to a button.  I asked about it and was told that the host would summon the maid by pushing the button with his foot.  I guess it was left from a previous owner, because I saw no maid .

 FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Yes, we can all use more of caring, loving and kindness.  Spread a little today!////FROM JACK:  A friend of mine in Illinois sent me a car magnet which reads: "Kindness Matters."  It's on the trunk, next to the Fire Dept logo.

 FROM PH IN MINNESOTA:  I am reminded of that old joke,   which is worse,  apathy or ignorance?    The fellow replies,  “I don’t know and I don’t care.!////FROM JACK:  So, when people look to you for empathy, you show them apathy?

FROM MOLINER JT:  Amen to that !////FROM JACK:  One who has experienced empathy is usually more inclined to show it to others.

 FROM BLAZING OAKS:  As the Amish proverb says, "Instead of putting others in  their place, put yourself in their place."  Reminds me of the College professor who asked the question on a final exam, "What is the name of the janitor of this bldg?  The students asked if this question really counted, and he assured them it did. they had come to this bldg. several times a week for a whole semester, and he had been on the job every day they came; Had they ever noticed him, or thanked him for keeping their bldg. clean?  Only two in the large class  came up with the answer, but those students never forgot the implied lesson. I'm sorry that I've forgotten which college it was, or the professor's name...But it seemed appropriate to this quote! ////FROM JACK:  I like that Amish wisdom.  BTW, do you remember the name of any custodian when you were at Augie?

 FROM BS NEAR ORLANDO:  I remember as a kid, our neighborhood group went to Friedman's meat market for one of our mother's on a Sat.  and lo and behold, we bumped into our garbage man.  In our excitement to see him we all said in unison,  HI !  Hi !! r GARBAGE MAN.  We were very sincere and full of love for him.  We had no category or level of distinction,  he was our friend and we were delighted to recognize someone we knew.  He however didn't appreciate our spontaneity.  He almost ran to get away from us.  we meant no harm.////FROM JACK:  Since you were a druggist, what it some kids ran after you, calling out, "Hey, Drug Man?"

 FROM CJL IN OHIO:  Very good observation.  We do well to remember it always....////FROM JACK:  As I think back over the people I've seen today, I need to remind myself that each one of them is, or has been, part of a family....the waitress, the bagger, the limping young man, the store manager.









No comments: