Monday, August 06, 2012

Winning Words 8/6/12
“If you’re afraid of wolves, don’t go into the woods.”  (Russian Proverb)  I came across a list of documented phobias.  There were 530 of them, including the fear of wolves…lupophobia.  I remember a time when a police dog (Rex) stood on this hind legs, pinning me against a wall, snarling in my face.  Talk about fear!  BTW, a word I didn’t know before is, “lunaediesophobia,” the fear of Monday.    ;-)  Jack

FROM SHARIN' SHARON:  Wow, that must have been scarey!!!!! Was this when you were a police chaplain?////FROM JACK:  Nope!  It happened when I visited the home of a parishioner and made the mistake of teasing their German shepherd.

FROM RI IN BOSTON:  President Franklin Roosevelt is quoted as saying, "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself."  Did you find that on the list...what phobia is fear of fear?////FROM JACK:  The fear of fear is probably called, "phobophobia," although I like the word, "wimpism."  BTW, I remember the "olden" days when the GOP had, fdrphobia.  Now, the political ads seem to be concentrating on, bophobia. ////RI RESPONDS:  Politically, our country tolerates both Parties spending such a vast amount of money while getting essentially nothing that benefits society from it...really sad.  To me it's doubly immoral...the manner in which some people gain huge fortunes, and then contribute it to the various self-serving power brokers, so they ultimately get more for themselves.////FROM JACK:  You have been diagnosed with vulturephobia.

FROM PH IN MINNESOTA:  do you recall Walt Disney's song,  whose afraid of the big, bad wolf,  the big bad wolf, etc.??  from the story of the three little pigs i believe..////FROM JACK:  That song was one of my favorites.  Wolves come in many disguises, other than sheep's clothing.
Who's afraid of the big bad wolf
Big bad wolf
Big bad wolf
Who's afraid of the big bad wolf

I'll punch him in the nose
I'll tie him in a knot
I'll kick him in the shin
We'll put him on the spot

Who's afraid of the big bad wolf
Big bad wolf
Big bad wolf
Who's afraid of the big bad wolf

FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER:  I have a wolf in my children's book "WHOOzoo at the Zoo." Here's the verse that accompanies a wolf howling at the moon.
    While he howls at the moon
    He likes to think it's a croon.
    He's telling his mate,
    "Don't you be late,
    I'm expecting you over here soon.
    But when back in the den,
    Just like all other men,
    Mr. Wolf sings a different tune.
FROM JACK:  Wolf howls have a scarey sound.  Keep out of "my" woods.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  I haven't been plagued by phobias, but there are sure enough to go around!  Can't imagine so many different ones!  Did your police dog experience culminate in a fear of DOGS?
Guess you don't suffer from a fear of Mondays, since you faithfully passed on your excellent WW!! I'll stay out of the woods!!////FROM JACK:  I like dogs better than cats.  I just am careful not to tease police dogs.  Does hexakosioihexekontahexaphobia every plague you?

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  I sure wouldn't want to get caught in the middle of a wolf pack, but they sure are beautiful.////FROM JACK:  I wonder if a herd of elephants is called a pack a pachyderms?

FROM CWR IN B'MORE:  ....was that when you ran that Red Light?////FROM JACK:  I refuse to answer etc.

FROM RJP IN FLORIDA:  Is there a word for fear of old pastors???????////FROM JACK:  In fact, there is a word that describes the fear of clergy, young or old.  It's "coulrophobia."  Oops, that's the fear of clowns.////RJP RESPONSE:  Touche my friend............Glad you gave me that information as I am going to a memorial service for a dear friend in California. She was in fact a professional clown and a friend of 45 years. Many of her friends will come dressed in their clown costumes. I will use coulrophobia in my part of the eulogy.  See there, old Pastors just keep educating

FROM CJL IN OHIO:  I don't care about the names;  I'm just afraid of phobias!  I'm glad I don't have many....I think...



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that must have been scarey!!!!! Was this when you were a police chaplain?
S.H. in MI