Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Winning Words 8/28/12
“Mambo means, Conversation with the gods.”  (Dave Wagner)  In Bernstein’s West Side Story there’s a fast Cuban dance song called, Mambo.  I like it because of the beat, but I’ve also learned that the word, Mambo, means, “Conversations with God.”  Neale Walsch has written a book with that title.  In it, he asks questions, and God replies.  I like it when God says, “Do you really want an answer, or are you just venting?”    ;-)  Jack

 FROM DR JUDY:  You had to know that you'd get a response from me.....Love these books. I think they're fascinating. When you listen to Conversations with G-d on tape, the part of G-d is alternated between Ellen Burstyn and Ed Asner so that you don't get locked into a gender assumption of G-d. ;)////FROM JACK:  This is one example of the "good" regarding books on tape.  Ellen and Ed make the questions come off as real.

 FROM ILLINOIS LIZ:  Like.////FROM JACK:  It looks like you meant to respond to Facebook.

 FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Great words.  I especially like God's answer.////FROM JACK:  It goes to show you that "God" has a sense of humor.

 FROM RI IN BOSTON:  In my conversations with God I believe He responds in His own way and own time.  I don't expect to identify His responses at any specific moment.  Seems to me Neale Walsch assumes a lot of authority when he writes God's replies to questions Walsch poses in his book.////FROM JACK:  I don't think that Neale is trying to be God.  I think that he simply seems to be using a literary device to help answer some of the faith questions that people have.

 FROM BLAZING OAKS:  Imagine having the confidence to speak for God!  But I always picture God having a sense of humor, too. I think Philip Yancy has good insights into what God might think or say, in his books. Very Contemporary. When we don't think God has given us an answer, are we too obtuse to see it? I'm afraid this may be the case, but  when we believe in an all-powerful, all-loving God, and see the misery in the world, it is hard to reconcile. I know God empowers us to "make a difference" in our little sphere influence...BUT so much need!!////FROM JACK:  Martin Luther said that we are to be as "little Christ" in the world...doing good in the Christian way, but not seeking to be Christ (God).  The pastor, speaking from the pulpit, needs to keep this in mind.

 FROM CC IN MICHIGAN:  I had a unique experience last week.  I have a Jewish Neighbor, who was in the Chek Underground during WWII.  He is 92+ and is now able to get around too well. I go over and check to see if he needs any help from time-to-time.  His front area is tiled and was in disrepair and I asked if I could fix it for him.  He said a relative would do it.  I waited a few months and just bought the materials and went over and fixed the tiled intrance and sidewalk area.  He offered me $20 for my time and costs and I refused.  But he insisted and I again refused, but he insisted, saying that I should put it in the collection plate for God.  I, like a fool said that I wasn't Jewish and he replied with elder wisdom.  It's aright Carl, it is the same God.  Silly me.////FROM JACK:  I think that God used your Jewish neighbor in order to have a conversation with you.  Mambo!

 FROM SHARIN' SHARON:  I like to think that from time-to-time God asks us questions too. Even though I know that He knows everything before I ever know it. For Him to ask a question in such a circumstance is very kind and considerate, Someone related to. Augsburg Fortress once put out a little devotional about the 300 or so questions written in the Bible that Jesus asked people. If God is Jesus and Jesus is God and not just a human being waiting to be God, to me it makes Biblical sense that God could be asking us questions at least 300 times and maybe much more than scripture reveals. Thought-provoking WW.////FROM JACK:  The thoughts you raise are thoughts that I've wondered about, too.  I've come to the conclusion that if we have free will, it is truly free (ours), and God has chosen to limit himself in certain ways.  He could make us robots, programmed to do his will, but I don't think that he has.  So, we pray: "Thy will be done."  As for Jesus, I've come to believe that God chose to create Jesus (God in human form), so that the unknowable could be known by humans.  Of course, that's not the whole story, but it's enuf to make the point.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like to think that from time-to-time God asks us questions too. Even though I know that He knows everything before I ever know it. For Him to ask a question in such a circumstance is very kind and considerate, Someone related to. Augsburg Fortess once put out a little devotional about the 300 or so questions written in the Bible that Jesus asked people. If God is Jesus and Jesus is God and not just a human being waiting to be God, to me it makes Biblical sense that God could be asking us questions at least 300 times and maybe much more than scripture reveals. Thought-provoking WW.
S.H. in MI