Friday, August 24, 2012

Winning Words 8/24/12
“It is the letter (e-mail or text) not sent that is the most valuable.”  (Melanie Benjamin)  Has it ever happened that you’ve pressed “Send,” and immediately wanted to cancel it…to no avail?  Melanie is a Tucson author who says that it’s good to get feelings out by writing them down…love, disappointment, anger, grief.  It improves the health.  Then, throw the writing away…unsent.  A friend of mine does that.    ;-)  Jack

 FROM HONEST JOHN:  I do that frequently....get the bile out and then reconsider....////FROM JACK:  No wonder I haven't heard from you lately.////MORE HONEST JOHN:  Actually, I have written to you....from my iPad....but I found out that my messages were not being sent....am taking the iPad to the Apple Store today.....////JACK:  It could be God's way of filtering your messages.

 FROM ME IN NEWPORT BEACH:  A lesson that I have tried to learn with sensitive issues.  At least to have someone else review.  Things sent with too much emotion involved are almost always regretted and usually counterproductive.  Mom has helped me with this on many occasions.  FROM JACK:  Your use of the word, sensitive, reminded me that I once attended a "sensitivity training" workshop.  When I came home, I was "different."  You had your sensitivity training in the home.

 FROM MEDD-O-LANE:  I believe this is called talking to yourself.  I have done this now and then, but instead of throwing it away or sending it I leave it and return much later.  Most times I receive a big laugh. ////FROM JACK:  I often talk to myself when I'm preaching, and, to clarify, that doesn't mean the congregation isn't listening.

FROM ILLINOIS LIZ:  Unless I am totally gorked over something, I try to give it the "24-hour" rule... don't think I've ever ended up sending a poison pen the next day.////FROM JACK:  I had to look up "gorked," and found both the medical and the slang definition.  Which were you referring to?  I digress!////LIZ RESPONSE:  The phrase came to me from one of my many gorked out friends (slang), whose mom is a psychiatrist/neurologist. Didn't know it was a "medical" term-- ha!

 FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER:  My father-in-law always said. "Measure twice, saw once/"////FROM JACK:  Like with many wise sayings....We hear, but we don't always heed.  Thank goodness for the times we do.

 FROM SHARIN' SHARON:  My daughter often shares things with me where she doesn't even want anything back--just wants to "vent". Of course, ole Mom then takes it to God where she does expect God to intervene in the situation and help her out.  But I learned long ago not to say anything back to my daughter and just accept her "venting" without offering any advice, just try to be a blank page.////FROM JACK: I wonder of God understands that our prayers are sometimes like "venting," and  that he patiently listens like a loving parent?

 FROM CJL IN OHIO:  Good practice.////FROM JACK:  While practice might not always make perfect, it will prevent a lot of imperfections.

 FROM GUSTIE MAR:  I do that many times.  It just helps to put feelings down on paper ( or email if you will!).////FROM JACK:  The inadvertent "send" is what trips me up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My daughter often shares things with me where she doesn't even want anything back--just wants to "vent". Of course, ole Mom then takes it to God where she does expect God to intervene in the situation and help her out.
But I learned long ago not to say anything back to my daughter and just accept her "venting" without offering any advice, just try to be a blank page.
S.H. in MI