Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Winning Words 8/22/12
“Be brave.  Take risks.  Nothing can substitute for experience.”  (Paulo Coelho)  P.C. is famous for writing, “The Alchemist,” now translated into 71 languages, the most by a living author.  Life was not easy for him in the beginning.  But he persevered, and the negatives turned into positives.  I think that most of us can look back on our experiences and see how they have affected us in positive ways.  I know that I can.    ;-)  Jack

 FROM DOCTOR JUDY:  I loved The Alchemist. Read it years ago.  Was at Costco several weeks ago looking for a new read and picked up Aleph by him. Haven't started it. Usually read when I go on trips so it could be awhile. But I'm looking forward to it. ////FROM JACK:  Now that Borders has closed, I see that you're now doing your book shopping at Costco.  Was it an e-book?


FROM HAWKEYE GEORGE:  How about, "Ready, Fire, Aim" from Tom Peters?////FROM JACK:  I'm sure that book was written from the background of Tom's experience.  You couldn't have written your book with having the background of experience.

 FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Great words to live by.  Experience has taught most of us about the hard knocks in life and the way to get through them.  Sometimes it's not so great going through them but like you state, you can always look back and see how you have grown and the positive ways the experience effected our lives.////FROM JACK:  It's an response that I first heard many years ago...When someone was asked where he went to college, he replied, "I got my education from the College of Hard Knocks."  Personally, I learned a lot at that college, too.  .

 FROM RG IN ARIZONA & MICHIGAN:  I even believe that the thoughts and ideas that occur in my mind -- and which often seem so outlandish or crazy to many -- had to have come from somewhere beyond my own thinking. An idea that comes from "out-of-the-blue" still comes from somewhere, and its purpose is somehow relative to my life and, in turn, the "whole body"...even if no one yet knows where it fits. Just the same, it must be so with others' experiences as well. All understanding leads to something...don't you think?
I suppose one whose seed, which was cast by the sower, has taken root in one's soil, can also learn some lesson from the one whose soil was hardened, and the seed was washed away or eaten by birds. One who invests talents can learn from those who bury them, even if it be only to see the waste of such things   Hence, one's eyes and ears must be open and alert (one's oil lamps must be filled and ready) to the food of the Spirit. But knowing what is nourishing and what is poison (what is God's and what is mine) is one's particular challenge, I think. It's the discerning part that is most difficult.  These are the thoughts in my mind anyway. ////FROM JACK:  I like this quote from Robert Louis Stevenson.  "The world is so full of a number of things.  I'm sure we should all be as happy as kings."  I think that the mind is one of those "things."

 FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER:  Lack of experience is generally the result of a lack of trying  ////FROM JACK:  Neglecting to "try" is a kind of experience, too.  There are various reasons for that.  In the movie, "What About Bob," I like the scene where Bob gets Siggy (the little boy) to try diving into the water  ...and the joy that is expressed when Siggy tries and succeeds.

FROM PL IN MICHIGAN: Jack..I don't know what to expect anymore...I think I'm through being shocked by stupid statements and then before the those words come out of my mouth I hear another one!
On the Other Hand,,,There's a group of  guys who have an informal "Republican Meeting" each Wednesday at the local  Mc Donald's.  One of the group is always trying to get me to join their conversation.  I know them, and they are somewhat to the right of Rush!  When I walked in there today, one said, "Someday, we are going to convert you!"  I said,"I'm Jewish and I don't think I'll become a Christian."  At least I got a laugh out of them.////FROM JACK:  Maybe they could learn something by listening to you and vice versa.

 FROM SHARIN' SHARON:  Tonight I was at prayer evening and joined by a gentleman who has been homeless. He related to me how he had a "Jesus moment". Someone asked him for a ride downtown. It was pretty important. So he drove the person downtown even though he lost his own $30 landscaping job in the process. We prayed into the events of this day and I just hope that this is turned into a positive for the gentleman, as well as the person he helped. It would seem so reasonable to say, if you are living really close to the margins and depending on $30 landscaping jobs in the neighborhood, first thing you should do is be reliable and do them before anything else and yet his heart went out--undoubtedly because he has had "experiences" and someone's heart went out for him sacrificially too and so this is life. This is the example that was set for me today and seems to fit. Poor people just impact on me so much!!!!!! ////FROM JACK:  Jesus vcomes to us wearing many different disguises.


 FROM BLAZING OAKS:  I wonder how I missed reading such a well-read book! Must investigate, and remedy that!  There's that Cal Coolidge's word PERSISTENCE again!  Most of us aren't very good at taking risks. but I'm sure Coelho's words are very true.  Bill took a risk when he was 29, to sell our home, give up his business, and go off to Seminary, with a wife and two sons, 4 and 2...a courageous decision that led to a marvelously satisfying life!  He was a great admirer of Halford Luccock (mentioned in your blog) and took some seminars under his leadership.  I remember Simon Stylities!  Your WW are always educational and inspiring. I enjoy the responses as well, and have learned a lot!////FROM JACK: I think that if we knew ahead of time the risky situations that would come our way, we'd be afraid to get out of bed in the morning.  Life is good that way. 





















1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tonight I was at prayer evening and joined by a gentleman who has been homeless. He related to me how he had a "Jesus moment". Someone asked him for a ride downtown. It was pretty important. So he drove the person downtown even though he lost his own $30 landscaping job in the process. We prayed into the events of this day and I just hope that this is turned into a positive for the gentleman, as well as the person he helped. It would seem so reasonable to say, if you are living really close to the margins and depending on $30 landscaping jobs in the neighborhood, first thing you should do is be reliable and do them before anything else and yet his heart went out--undoubtedly because he has had "experiences" and someone's heart went out for him sacrifically too and so this is life. I can't believe no one wrote on these WW words. This is the example that was set for me today and seems to fit. Poor people just impact on me so much!!!!!!
S.H. in MI