Wednesday, August 01, 2012

Winning Words 8/1/12
“God lets things go, but only to a point.”  (Swiss Proverb)  When people seem to get away with doing bad things, some people ask, “Why doesn’t God step in?”  God’s judgment isn’t always immediate, but it is sure.  There will come a time when all that is wrong with be dealt with.  Dante described it as “The inferno.”  I’m satisfied to pray, “Thy will be done,” what ever that may be.  How about you?    ;-)  Jack

FROM SHARIN' SHARON:  Maybe this is only my own experience but I believe that when you once have gone through something trying and praying "Thy will be done" and seen an amazing result--something truly astonishing and seemingly timely--you have been, are, and even more surely will be in the mode of trust and hope in God alone and not idolizing yourself or any other human being. You're on the train to heaven. It happened to me.////FROM JACK:  There's an old hymn, written by Charles Albert Tindley, that seems to fit   "Take it to the Lord, and leave it there."
    1. If the world from you withhold of its silver and its gold,
    And you have to get along with meager fare,
    Just remember, in His Word, how He feeds the little bird;
    Take your burden to the Lord and leave it there.

    2. If your body suffers pain and your health you can't regain,
    And your soul is almost sinking in despair,
    Jesus knows the pain you feel, He can save and He can heal;
    Take your burden to the Lord and leave it there.

    3. When your enemies assail and your heart begins to fail,
    Don't forget that God in Heaven answers prayer;
    He will make a way for you and will lead you safely through.
    Take your burden to the Lord and leave it there.

    4. When your youthful days are gone and old age is stealing on,
    And your body bends beneath the weight of care;
    He will never leave you then, He'll go with you to the end.
    Take your burden to the Lord and leave it there.

    Chorus:
    Leave it there, leave it there,
    Take your burden to the Lord and leave it there.
    If you trust and never doubt, He will surely bring you out.
    Take your burden to the Lord and leave it there.

FROM RG IN ARIZONA/MICHIGAN:  I think that the "judgment" is immediate; it is only the sentence that is deferred. This marks a notable difference between the temporal and the eternal. For this reason I pray for mercy when I fall from grace! What others do is their business. ////FROM JACK:  I don't want to stick my nose into God's business, except to say that I believe he can do just fine without the advice of others.

FROM CWR IN B'MORE:  I do think that "evil and selfish deeds 'come back ti bite you'....and that is "Hell."////FROM JACK:  Does that mean that there's more than one Hell?  BTW, Have you ever been to Hell in Michigan?

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  I try to be satisfied to pray "Thy will be done"...but often catch myself offering directives and advice to Him about how His will might best serve the situation!! :-)  I liked your hymn on the blog "Take It to the Lord and Leave It There". Printed it out for my elderly S.S. class.  I read an interesting quote from Jody Picoult (author):"There's always going to be bad stuff out there. But here's the amazing thing: Light trumps darkness every time. You can stick a candle into the dark, but you can't stick dark into the Light." good to ponder!  Thy will be done...!////FROM JACK:  I like the way that the petition continues ..."thy will be done ON EARTH AS IT IS IN HEAVEN."  I also like ..."Not my will, but thine be done."


FROM DP IN MINNESOTA:  AMEN ! ! !////FROM JACK:  ...and never (almost never) is heard a discouraging word from the Twin Cities.

 FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Yes, everyone, everyone on this great earth with eventually meet face to face with God.  I read a book about the historic Oregon Trail and this was a quote by one of the characters in the book, "God wants to love you into Heaven not scare you outta hell."////FROM JACK:  I saw a listing of "movies that will scare the hell out of you."  #1 was The Shining; #2 Psycho, and #3 was the one I turned off before the end..."Silence of the Lambs."  Another scarey one that I remember was, "The Pit."

FROM DS IN SAN DIEGO:  Jack, we were discussing that topic yesterday in our Bible study group.  Does God "Micro-manage" everything, or does he basically leave it to the "free will" he gave us? ////FROM JACK:  I think that the answer to that is..."Both/And."  But God has "last serve."  BTW, I think that it was Kierkegaard who developed the Both/And philosophy.

 


  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe this is only my own experience but I believe that when you once have gone through something trying and praying "Thy will be done" and seen an amazing result--something truly astonishing and seemingly timely--you have been, are, and even more surely will be in the mode of trust and hope in God alone and not idolizing yourself or any other human being. You're on the train to heaven. It happened to me.
S.H. in MI

Ray Gage said...

I think that the "judgment" is immediate; it is only the sentence that is deferred. This marks a notable difference between the temporal and the eternal. For this reason I pray for mercy when I fall from grace! What others do is their business.