Wednesday, January 04, 2012

Winning Words 1/4/12
“I have some problems with my life, but living is the best thing they’ve come up with, so far.” (Neil Simon) I like Simon’s, The Odd Couple. He had a knack for seeing humor in the lives of everyday people…not all bad and not all good…like most people we know. Much material came from his own experiences.. He could probably even produce something “odd” about your life and mine. ;-) Jack

FROM SHARIN' SHARON: The Odd Couple was funny!!!!! In this day and age when sexual stereotypes are being broken down so much there is a movie/sitcom where both men and women can identify. Neil Simon helped us to laugh at ourselves and not take ourselves and others' foibles so seriously. Great WW.////FROM JACK: Who do you identify with...mostly, Oscar or Felix? For the most part, I'm a Felix, but my desk is an Oscar. ////MORE FROM SS: I'm an Oscar with an inner Felix, married to an Oscar with an inner Felix who together produced a Felix. The paradoxical thing is that, when I was at home with Mom and Dad, I was a Felix to my Mom's Oscar and then when I got married and had a baby and found out how much work was involved, that's when I became an Oscar too like her. I became more understanding and also realized there are other priorities in life sometimes than being neat and organized. Life is great and also ironic. God bless you for having an Oscar desk, you should see what's around this computer here.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: Yes, when you think of the options, life is pretty good, even with the problems. Although I am not afraid of going to Heaven, I'm quite content down here with the family for awhile, please God. As for the odd things in our lives, well, we could and should write books....some would have volumes!!!////FROM JACK: I think I know where Simon would start with you.

FROM PASTIE PAT: He'd have a field day with mine! When my youngest son went away to college he said --- "Will your feelings be hurt if I tell everyone I'm an only child? There's just no way I could explain our family"!
////FROM JACK: He probably wanted to have you all to himself.

FROM PLAINFOLKS CHESTER: Why do you think we always called you an oddball?////FROM JACK: Sticks and stone may break my bones, but names will never hurt me.

FROM BLAZING OAKS: Neil Simon may have some problems with his life, but he sure had no problems writing really funny plays, often with pathos thrown in. I love his work! I think he once said that every comedic situation had some sadness...When Bill and I saw GOD'S FAVORITE, we laughed til we cried. Too funny! But ALL of his works are so entertaining, Barefoot in the Park, The Star Spangled Girl, both California and Plaza Suites, The Sunshine Boys, and of course The Odd Couple. Too many to recall, but thanks to a fertile mind that used everyday life to highlight ridiculous situations. We should all be so blessed! Good WW! ////FROM JACK: He could probably write a good one about twin sisters who grew up, but never lost their childlike spirit. He could add humor to the plot by having them both be married to ministers. He might call it Barefoot in the Parsonage.

FROM AW IN ILLINOIS: One friend always greets me when I ask how he is: "I am on the right side of the dirt!"...hard to argue with him.////FROM JACK: I've never heard that one before.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Odd Couple was funny!!!!! In this day and age when sexual stereotypes are being broken down so much there is a movie/sitcom where both men and women can identify. Neil Simon helped us to laught at ourselves and not take ourselves and others' foibles so seriously. Great WW.
S.H. in MI

Anonymous said...

I'm an Oscar with an inner Felix, married to an Oscar with an inner Felix who together produced a Felix. The paradoxical thing is that, when I was at home with Mom and Dad, I was a Felix to my Mom's Oscar and then when I got married and had a baby and found out how much work was involved, that's when I became an Oscar too like her. I became more understanding and also realized there are other priorities in life sometimes than being neat and organized. Life is great and also ironic.
God bless you for having an Oscar desk, you should see what's around this computer here.
S.H. in MI