Monday, January 02, 2012

Winning Words 1/2/12
“I think in terms of the day’s resolutions, not the year’s.” (Henry Moore) In Glenn McCoy’s cartoon The Duplex, Eno worries about keeping his New Year’s resolutions. Fang, his dog, tells him not to worry, because the day will be over in a few hours. That’s the way it is with resolutions. Keeping them, one day at a time, should be the goal. I like what the book of James (4:14) says about our tomorrows. ;-) Jack

FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER: When you are in the pulpit, do you tell the congregation to go read James 4:14 or do you read it to them?////FROM JACK: In the pulpit, I would read the reference, because those in the pew usually don't have a laptop on their lap. Elsewhere, I figure that the reader can Google it, or look it up in their Bible.

FROM ILLINOIS LIZl Every day there are new challenges, hence, new resolutions.////FROM JACK You're right. However, some challenges are more daunting than others. I really admire some of the folks who have overcome obstacles greater yjan any I've faced.

FROM CWR IN B'MORE: Amen......after spending time trying to remember and then find James......Happy New Year........////FROM JACK: Martin Luther didn't like the book of James (after he found it).

MORE PFC: Hope you don't think I'm being critical. I love WW! I just wondered if you are expecting people to do it. My bible isn't even Len the same floor as MY COMPUTER AND i NEVER THOUGHT OF goggled may YUP SHOULD REMIND PEOPLE OR PUT A HOT LINK IN WW. OOPS. I unknowingly slipped into all caps. Sorry. ////FROM JACK: This is one of those times I did something on purpose, just to test some of the old folks.

FROM LP IN MICHIGAN: Saw an parent-kid activity to celebrate the new year: Set a goal or resolution for each month of the year and write it on the calendar. Was thinking about trying something like this. Haven't put out my 2012 calendar yet :-0 ////FROM JACK: That' a great idea...12 resolutions. Now, don't suggest one for each day of the year.

FROM AJ IN MICHIGAN: This one is sort of like take one day at a time.////FROM JACK: Yes, and your response reminds me of the song, "One day at a time, Sweet Jesus." Do you know it?

FROM BLAZING OAKS: True, as James points out we don't know what tomorrow will bring...sometimes that is a good thing, I guess! I don't make resolutions as such, but this year I have taken JOY for my word, and am trying to see the JOY in every day happenings. Hopefully it will be contagious to those around me! As the sign on a church says, "Kind Words Make Good echoes"...////FROM JACK: The Book of James contains a lot of interesting stuff

No comments: